The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » For advocates only... others need not respond (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
What is your favorite way to persuade someone to accept your point of view?

If you don't have anything to say in terms of persuasion beyond merely stating your point of view, please refrain from posting or I will report to the mods for being off topic. I'm seeking seriously persuasive discussion only.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27112 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Ethos, pathos and logos... though if it's dark it helps to light up a straw man or two.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I humbly acknowledge the greater generality of your demonstration.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27112 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
One of the challenges is finding an argument (the logos part) where the audience gets to feel "right" about adopting the position without any pangs of being "wrong" for not doing so already
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Quote:
On 2013-08-26 18:50, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I humbly acknowledge the greater generality of your demonstration.

If I were more general than anyone who came before me, it's only because I stood on the shoulders of giants -- generally. Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
One excellent way is to simply refuse to allow people who might disagree to be permitted to participate in the discussion.

I am contemplating starting a thread titled "For those who agree with me only - others need not respond."

That way I can create the illusion (in my own mind) of personal validation without having to consider what anyone else thinks.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Soon all threads will be prefaced by "for people who agree with me only". I think that Bob1Dog has started a trend for exclusionary threads that will soon be outlawed.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
That may deserve its own thread.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Y'all are choosing to make this a huge issue, as I would have suspected.

The only reason for my opening statement in that gun thread is because it wasn't meant for discussion by folks like Al who would make every attempt to derail it and others who simply don't like guns. It's meant for serious discussion and as you can see it still is. If you have something appropriate to contribute, you're welcome to do so. So kindly cease from indicating otherwise.

Now, if I haven't been pursuasive enough, the OP can simply report to the mods that I am off topic, and get me deleted. Simple as that. Smile

By the way, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Smile Thanks! Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Seems to me a good idea if it can be done. Staying on topic? What a concept.

Tho, it is those side tracks that invariably are the most interesting...how to off=shoot them? Like the old forums used to do?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-08-26 22:16, Bob1Dog wrote:

By the way, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Smile Thanks! Smile


You're welcome.

Oh Dang it. Now we both need to be deleted. Well our posts, anyways.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
1) Begin with a point of view that makes sense.

2) Gauge the level of controversy in your POV. The more radical, the softer your approach to convincing others must be.

3) If online, nurture a long list of friends who will likely back you up when you speak. Sometimes it is easier to accept something that you might otherwise resist if it comes from a friend, or when your credibility is validated.

4) If dealing with people in person, and if possible, feed them... preferably something unique and wonderful.

5) If you are wrong, admit it. The same people who won you over then may very well come to your side at another time when the conflict may have more meaning to you. If you walk away without admission, they may very well imagine pleasure in beating you down at the next opportunity.

For the record (IMO)... sidetracking and derailing result from different motivations. Sidetracking is a pause to stop and smell the flowers. Derailing is stopping to throw rocks at a squirrel. Derailing a topic with the topic of derailing topics, is pure stupidity and a waste of everyone's time.

Back to the game...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
YOU are very good Michael! Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-08-26 18:43, MobilityBundle wrote:
What is your favorite way to persuade someone to accept your point of view?



Do your best to see their point of view first.

Then seemingly help them better it with yours.

Also, throw in quotes from 'authorities' of really important things and/or just generally respected people, them 'celebs' we all love... Smile

Because it gives weight to your point of view and...

It always looks good when famous people agree with you. Smile

If all else fails, use faith and quote Scripture. Say your Almighty demands that point of view be taken and that's that! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 02:09, Pakar Ilusi wrote:


... throw in quotes from 'authorities' of really important things and/or just generally respected people, them 'celebs' we all love... Smile

Because it gives weight to your point of view and...

It always looks good when famous people agree with you.




Such as...

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls***.”― W.C. Fields

:rotf:
~michael baker
The Magic Company
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5006 Posts

Profile of landmark
I've always felt that one of the profound challenges in life is how to explain to an illogical person that his or her logic is faulty.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 06:25, landmark wrote:
I've always felt that one of the profound challenges in life is how to explain to an illogical person that his or her logic is faulty.


Yup, people have too much faith in their anecdotal evidences to give up believing in what their forefathers did. Smile

I'll stop there.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 06:25, landmark wrote:
I've always felt that one of the profound challenges in life is how to explain to an illogical person that his or her logic is faulty.

Have you read Smullyan's bit about the planet where everything that is the same shape is also the same color? Most people on the planet are color-blind, but some are not. Amusing and interesting.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27112 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 06:25, landmark wrote:
I've always felt that one of the profound challenges in life is how to explain to an illogical person that his or her logic is faulty.


logic, personal logic, rational, rationalizing... shades of grey IMHO - lots of unstated presuppositions.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
"My father made him an offer he couldn't refuse... Luca Brasi held a gun to his head, and my father assured him that either his brains, or his signature would be on the contract".
- Michael Corleone, "The Godfather", 1972

This is very persuasive technique.

I finally googled something to post.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » For advocates only... others need not respond (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL