The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » I'm a little angry, but: good news and bad news (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
So today I interviewed for the children's hospital. If all goes well, by the end of September I'll be able to start performing. That's the good news.

The bad news is the shameful story I was told by the kind lady interviewing me for the volunteer work. It seems they "had" a magician at one time who performed for the children. "Had," because they had to ask him to leave.

I thought, "Oh great here comes a pedophile story," but fortunately that wasn't it.

A mom requested him to come perform for her child. Upon entering the room- and this is where my interviewer didn't have specific details, it could've been that the child was unconscious or mentally disabled- the magician says, "Oh they/he/she won't get anything out of this," and leaves the room.

This is still making me mad just thinking about it. What is your problem dude? What an arrogant, self-absorbed jerk. Even if the child is in a coma, who's to know whether or not your added stimulation might have benefited the child's mind; the child might have been able to hear you. The parents might have been blessed by your magic and the momentary diversion away from the pain they were suffering at having their child in the hospital. Instead you crushed their emotions at one of the worst times of their lives.

If you're in Tucson and this was you- or you're anywhere and this was or is your attitude- please either learn from this or get out of doing magic. You're giving magician's a bad name.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Ted

I agree, we perform to bring joy to others, if that magician wants to perform for himself, just stay at home and perform for the mirrior. Just my two cents, for what its worth.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Oh, by the way congratulations. I know you will bring joy and happiness to many patients and their famalies with your magic and kindness.
Please keep us posted on your adventure. Thank you for making a difference.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thank you Mark. Your two cents is worth a lot. I'll definitely keep you posted.
RobFromNZ
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
99 Posts

Profile of RobFromNZ
Hope it goes well at the hospital. That story is a shocker! Hope you really turn it around for the hospital staff and patients, and use magic to bring a bit of comfort. All the best.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks Rob!
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Ted: I'm just beginning my forays into volunteering for my local hospital. I will remember this one.

There may be times when this is the initial and involuntary reaction upon seeing a person in an apparently unresponsive condition. But it must not ever show!! The parents are having enough of their own battles without having to deal with the performer's moods, too.

If it's not too much off topic - what would you perform in a case like this? Assuming the patient has eyes closed and cannot be touched, you can't do something visual or tactile. It would have to be something where the magic is audible?? Or would you basically just perform for the parents, and hope their enjoyment carries through to the patient?

Ed
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Performing for the parents while talking to the patient and telling them what's happening would probably be what I would've done spur of the moment. If it was a case of the child being mentally disabled, maybe just do my regular routine with them being involved as much as possible and switching to parental involvement; gently, if it was proving unsuccessful with the child.

For instance, set up my table and go into some card routines where the mom and dad get to pick cards, but also talking to the patient- telling them I'm going to show mom and dad some magic. There is a chance they can hear so any stimulation can be beneficial. Shuffling, snapping cards for reveals.

Maybe do sponge bunnies for mom- since it wouldn't be a health risk- and leave her with a bunny to keep and give the child.

Ask some questions about the child- what are some of their favorite...colors? Red? Oh let me get a red card here... Ask a few questions where you've considered how it could be worked into the magic. Like their age. Then use their age number to do a card effect for mom and dad like Gemini Twins while talking to the child and pattering about their magical age number.

I'm glad you asked this question. Why don't we come back here with ideas and continue to help prepare each other for this scenario?

Are there any tricks that involve sound? Like you mention above. Not even necessarily as the effect, but maybe torn and restored something or other that you can do close up where the child might hear the noise and then when you restore it you can wave it around making sound with it also?
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I work in an ED and use my magic (when appropriate) to comfort children or break the ice and build a relationship with my patients.
I have built relationships with severely autistic kids who will not talk to anyone except family members with just a small part of conjuring. Their parents didn't think it would work but said go for it. What kid doesn't respond enthusiastically when you pull a quarter out their ear?
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Nice Smile
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Preston68 - Your story exemplifies the basis for all magic and entertaining. We must be respectful of everyone around us. Because someone is in a coma does not mean they can't hear or feel. I commend you for your insight and compassion. Keep up the good work.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thank you Ray.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Good luck, and congratulations in advance! Based on your passion and caring in this post alone, I am quite convinced that you made a marvelous impression that--I hope--provided a corrective experience for the hospital administration with regard to magicians.

Whether or not the child could perceive the effects the way other do is immaterial. There's a reason that parents and loved ones are asked to visit and console those in comas. Even if they cannot hear or see you, they quite possibly pick up on the energy in the room (e.g., mood level). If the parents in the room feel that having a magician would be a good idea, your mere presence there will be an uplifting experience to those conscious and, indirectly, those unconscious.

Even if my debatable point is wrong, consider that perhaps those that needed uplifting were the doubtless frightened, saddened, and desperate parents in the room. Making them feel a little better...that anything is possible...for even a few minutes would be worth any magician's time.

I look forward to hearing how you improve the lot of others in this hospital. They'll be fortunate to have you on board.

One trick that I do that is very auditory is a variation of the Banana Bandanna. Although the magician's nonverbals make up a great deal of the entertainment, one could close their eyes and still get quite a bit out of it.

-Tom
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks for the encouragement!

I agree with you- We can brighten the day of those who are able to fully receive the magic and possibly affect the patients positively as well.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Quote:
On 2013-09-03 12:52, Ray Bertrand wrote:
Preston68 - Your story exemplifies the basis for all magic and entertaining. We must be respectful of everyone around us. Because someone is in a coma does not mean they can't hear or feel. I commend you for your insight and compassion. Keep up the good work.

Ray

So true. Took care of a lady in a coma in the ICU for over a year (we couldn't get her placed). Each day I'd talk to her as I gave her her care. Tell her a few clean jokes. Tell her about my kids. Anyways- one day I walked into the room and said Good Morning Irene and she responded "hello James". I jumped back as if I had seen a ghost. Not only did she know my name , she knew my stories, kids, ect... "How do you know my name" ? I asked. She responded "because you never shut up James". She had heard everything I said in her presence and she recognized me by my voice only. What a lesson for me.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Lol- That's great!
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Hey Ed,

To further discuss what tricks we might do; I just bought a couple especially for the hospital. In my recent purchases I was looking for things that reset easily, and are hands off or easily cleaned so I can show everybody and not be concerned about contamination.

Coin funnel- This will play great for the kids and maybe the parents, but the aspect of this that I also like is the sound. If the child is in a coma they will undoubtedly still hear this- arguable point to be sure, but I believe it to be so and jcrabtree2007, like many other stories out there, provides some good evidence. Plus it's good, quick fun magic. I do the battery finale version.

Hopping halves- Another hands off that you can make noise with if you're careful. I realize I would be performing this mainly for the parents- or any trick where the child is unconscious for that matter, but I think we can and should include the child in the magic patter as much as possible. "I'm showing mommy and daddy a trick with these two magic coins..." Etc...

Speaking of coins and noise- I already own Solari's Miracle Miser. That plays well to adults and is quick and loud. Optional devil's hank vanish ending of final coin.

And speaking of Bob Solari- I ordered Bunny Hop just for use in the hospitals and feel this is a wonderful purchase. It took me a minute to get a feel for the you know what with this prop- hard to explain, but anyway, this is a great prop for hospital work. I plan on getting as many little bunnies as possible and giving them away at the end of the trick. that way the child has a cute keepsake and so does the mom if the child is comatose. Mom and dad can keep the bunny to give to the child when they wake up. Here's a link to it:

https:bobsolarimagic.com/shop/Bunny Hop?keyword=bunny&category_id=0

Who knows? Maybe someday there will be a child waking up asking to see the noisy magician. I hope so.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I think it was Jeff McBride that I saw do a sleight of hand routine with a squeaker in such a fashion that it highlighted the effect *and* provided a auditory presence.
-Tom
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Oh yeah, Tommy Wonder does a card trick with a squeaky salt shaker.

http://youtu.be/tDvrydv19M0
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Squeakers are cool. I've been thinking if getting the jeff McBride DVD on squeeking. I got a squeaker when I saw gazzo do his cups and balls. Very versatile little gimmick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » I'm a little angry, but: good news and bad news (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL