The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Geoffery Ronning and hypnosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicman02
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of magicman02
Hi guys,
I want to get into hypnosis, but I absolutely have no background in hypnosis, I have never hypnotized anyone in my life. But I do know that any skill that someone else is doing can be learned. I didn't know jack squat about magic 4 years ago and I know a lot now and I am a semi-pro. When I saw my first show when I was in high school. I thought it was all staged and stooges, but I know it isn't.

I want to attend Geoffery Ronnings training in Vegas. He basically says that in three intense days he can teach you everything about hypnosis that you can walk out and do a full show that you are proud of in a month or two. I have heard really good things about the seminar, but has anyone here personally attended his training?

Also hypnosis (at least to me) is more interactive and exciting then magic (even though I do magic and it is my first love), so I was wondering why isn't every magician doing hypnosis then? Is it the factor of not being able to hypnotize anyone or afraid of getting sued? By the way do a lot of hypnotists get sued? I heard you need liability insurance and that you should never perform with out it. But if you are just starting out, do you need it or do you wait till you have a couple shows under your belt? I have read the thread on liability insurance and it is good, but I was wondering how much does it cost? Is it monthly payments or yearly?

Thank guys
Amir
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I haven't attended Geoff's training. I have ordered some of his products, though. He and his wife Wendy are great to do business with.

Concerning today's litigious climate, I wouldn't advise anyone to perform without insurance. The coverage from the IBM (which excludes hypnosis) starts at $111.00 a year. I believe the coverage from Clowns Of The USA (which includes coverage for hypnosis) is $165.00 a year. This is incredibly inexpensive coverage. If you ever do have a claim filed against you, you'll be glad you paid that tiny premium.

See ya!
Joe L.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
If you are going to attend Geoffrey's Training in April, I would suggest that you go to his website now and at least pick up his 'How to structure an Expert Hypnotic Show Pre-Talk' tape program. It will teach you how to create your pre-talk which is what you say to the audience before the show to get them excited about coming up on the stage. This will give you training in the Ronning fashion and give you something to have critiqued and to be worked on at the training.

Also, if you are willing to spend that kind of money, look into the Modern Stage Hypnosis Show Training package that he has put together. It is basically a taping of the live training in October. You will get a $500 certificate that you can apply towards the live training and it will give you a head start. You can learn directly from Geoffrey the same as you will at the training and then go for hands on follow up in April. It will give you a head start on just being the odd guy with absolutely no training at all.

If you are really serious about doing this and commit yourself I would recommend that you start marketing your hypnosis show now. If you are a semi-pro you have a client base to market to as well as in all advertising you do. Just take shows in say June so you will have time to train and be ready. You possibly could get enough show deposits in advance to pay for your training. I have a friend on this forum that took Ronning's training in October and booked his first stage show this month for $1500.00 so you can make it with this training

Further, I would suggest that you get your hands on a copy of 'The New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism' by Ormond McGill available on Amazon.com and study it from cover to cover. You should also pick up every other course you can find on Stage Hypnosis as I have not yet found one good course that covers everything you need to know. Check 'Stage Hypnosis' on ebay and you will find a lot to get you started. If you would like a list not available on ebay PM me and I'll let you know.
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
magicman02
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of magicman02
Martin and Joe,
I tried to send you guys private messages but I don't know if it went through or not, so I will just listed them here.

Martin: Are you a stage hypnotist? Also I was wondering if you can give my your friends name who attended Ronnings seminar. I have some questions that I would like to ask him?

Joe: The $165 insurance premimum, is that a monthly cost or a yearly cost? Also you have Nicholas George's course, how do you like it? Is it worth the investment?
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Magicman02

Yes your PM went through. I can answer on the insurance question. It is an annual premium running from April to April with no pro-rating. If you bought it now it would run until April and you would have to pay again then to renew.

I have PM'd my friend to make sure he had no problem with my giving out his name and if he says okay. I'll PM you with the information. I also suggested that he post to this thread directly if he chose to. I can't say when that will be as he was recently thrown into working full time and I don't know what his show schedule looks like.

I am not yet a Stage Hypnotist, I am currently studying. However, I am very familiar with Ronnings program and I am seriously considering going to his training in April. I have a feeling I will be a Stage Hypnotist soon as my wife is getting very adamant about just getting out there and doing as she hates her job.

I would also suggest that you go to Ronnings site and sign up for his test run if you haven't done so already as there is some helpful information in it. I would say that if you haven't gathered any information as yet about Stage Hypnosis that you concentrate on only getting Ronning material if that is who you plan to use for your personal training. That way you will have nothing to unlearn when you attend his three day course. As I said previously, his home study course is a good investment if you are going to take his in person training. It will give you a head start.

You will find in doing these shows that the induction is not the hardest part of it. First get them excited about coming up on your stage and Being The Stars Of The Show. Then make sure you have put together one fantastic set of routines to keep them laughing when you do your show. After all its all about entertainment. No funny, no money.

You need to remember also that this game is about add on streams of income. Everyone who was in your show or their family members will want a copy of the videotape that you took of the show. You do the math 15 X $25 extra. They will also want help from you so you sell them your CD for Smoking Cessation or Weight Loss etc. You can make more than just your fee doing this. More than they ever bought from you after your magic show.

There is a question that I haven't asked. Do you do a Stage show for your magic. If you do, you already have a lot of the skills you'll need for this. If you are just a close up finger flinger this will be a major change.

I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions feel free to post them here.
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stuart Cumberland
Amir,

Geoff Ronning and I are good friends. I would HIGHLY recommend him and his course. He's a guy who books himself out the yin-yang, travels extensively and makes his living doing hypnosis shows.

He's the real deal.

He has an outstanding offer on his site. A test drive. Best of all, it's free.

If you have ANY interest in hypnosis, I highly recommend you check it out. After all, it's free. You can't lose.

Here's Geoff's link: Geoff Ronning Stage Hypnosis Training

Tell him Blair sent ya.

Blair

FREE Newsletter:www.Mental-List.com
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I went to his past training and I came home today from my second paid gig. The past training was in Oct my first show was in November. Both shows where great I left his training fully equipped to do the shows. Two months later I have already made plus the investment. I have three more show but between Dec and Jan. I have bought all the learning courses out there and found his to be the most complete. Blair has a great tape also with his rapid induction. The first day of the training you put someone in trance without saying anything but two words.Way too cool! It is a total hands on you will be putting people in trace your first day.If you really want to learn how to do this then spend the money and go. I talk to people who went with me and all of them are doing great!
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
magicman02
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of magicman02
Guys thanks for everything, I already subscribed for his test drive, I got all the information and it is great. I do close up magic right now, and some stage, so I do have experience. For some reason I thought I would like close up better and I still do, but I want to get into stage, because with stage you have everyone's attention (that can be more pressure, because if you mess up you don't mess up for couple people, but the whole audience). My brother and I are working on a twin mentalism act so we will be on the stage shortly.

Also I heard that most hypnotists work through agency and agents, is that true? So does that mean that they don't do a lot of their own marketing? Also my brother wants to get into hypnosis too, so I was wondering if it is it possible to have two hypnotists on stage doing one show, like a two person mind reading act? Is it safe because I have always seen hypnotists as solo performers?

Also Martin, if you plan to attend the seminar in April, I might see you there if I decide to go. (I might have prior engagements, but I really hope I don't, I want to get my training this year)

Thanks
Amir

p.s. a side note, once you are a hypnotist, is it possible to still be hypnotized by another hypnotist?
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Amir,

NO three-day wonder class is going to prepare you for a career as a stage hypnotist. Most of those classes are designed for people who already have a good, solid grounding in hypnosis and want to expand into performance work.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you get a professional certification as a hypnotherapist before doing such a class for several reasons:

After such a class you will know how to handle any unforseen, unpleasant reactions your volunteers may produce - and they WILL happen.

You will have a much better understanding of HOW to AVOID the occurrance of such abreactions.

You will be able to produce tapes and CD's for back of the room sales (stress reduction, smoking cessation, weight relief, etc).

You will have a MUCH better shot at getting coverage on insurance as even Clowns of the USA requires some sort of certification for insurance these days.

And, let's face it, during the slack periods that ANY pro has, it's nice to be able to book a therapeutic session or two to supplement your income!

But PLEASE don't rely on a 3-Day class and go out and try to be a professional stage hypnotist. Would you even consider doing such a thing with magic?

It doesn't make sense, frankly.

For training, try http://www.ngh.net for the National Guild of Hypnotists. If you are in the DC/Maryland area, look up Marcia Proctor. She's fantastic - and a good friend - as well as a top trainer for two professional hypnosis organizations and teaches the Certification course at Garrett College.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Lee:

I would usually agree with you Lee, except in the case of Geoffrey Ronnings Training. Geoffrey is a NGH Certified Trainer. His training is intensive and hands on. Students in the class practice the inductions on each other and are learning not just being lectured to. Geoffrey also covers things like abreaction, what to do about it and how to spot it before it becomes a problem for your show. Geoffrey doesn't send you off to be an immediate hypnotist, he says your own show in two months after crafting and practicing what you have learned. If you have evidence about Geoffrey to the contrary I would be most interested in hearing about it.

Amir:

Stage Hypnotist book themselves as well as us agents. The busy ones wind up using agents more and more because they have less and less time for marketing. This is the same for any entertainer.

It is possible to perform with two hypnotists, it would just be how you worded your instructions. Also, having an assistant is always good as they can see the person who is faking it and disrupting your show when you have your back turned. They let you know who and you dismiss them. You could also both learn to do the show and switch off jobs between Hypnotist and Assistant from one show to the next.

I don't quite know what you mean by prior engagements, if you have a show that's one thing, but if you are just waiting to see if someone books that weekend that is something else. If you really want to do this you block off the dates for the training and register and go, otherwise you may never do it. Like I said earlier you could get his home study version and take the $500 certificate and apply it toward your in person training letting you get a head start. You and your brother would simply do the one on one exercises that are in the training practicing on each other.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Martin,

I have to admit that I am more than somewhat skeptical about any 3-day course that purports to take anyone and turn them into a stage hypnotist, regardless of who is teaching the class.

It is a truism that repetition is the key to mastering something - but that repetition has to be correct or all you do is ingrain bad habits.

Not to mention that retention of information is most often done on technical subjects (which hypnosis most definitely IS) does not last after single, or even two or three exposures or attempts.

Given the VAST variety of responses someone can get from a stage hypnosis volunteer group, extensive training in suggestion formulation, trance management and abreaction handling is essential.

In my professional opinion, from over 30 years in the business, I simply cannot believe that ANY training can afford someone that kind of experience, confidence and knowledge in three short days (or even three long days).

While I laud his efforts in making sure the students receive hands-on experience and the fact that he covers abreaction, one simply cannot cover such a broad and serious topic in a 3-day weekend and still do all of the other things a stage hypnosis course should also cover.

While it's possible that I may be incorrect, I would be very surprised.

In fact, I just called the NGH and their comment is that the course is NOT authorized by the NGH in any way. In fact, the NGH does not offer a certification for stage hypnotists of any kind at this time and that their certification course is in excess of 150 classroom hours.

No way that's happening on a three-day weekend! Smile

Sorry, but it's NOT an NGH course, nor it it endorsed BY the NGH as you seem to imply. (If I misread you on that, I apologize, of course)

While Mr. Ronning is undoubtedly a sterling fellow and an excellent instructor, this course is not an NGH approved educational vehicle.

Sorry to disagree, no flames intended to either you or Mr. Ronning. But I stand by what I said to Amir - get a full certification first. Doing so will allow you to better absorb and appreciate the materials in Mr. Ronning's course - or any other course on hypnosis, for that matter.

One does not build a roof for a house without first building the foundation. Stage hypnosis is an advanced part of the art. Without a frame of reference and some serious background in the application of hypnosis in general, a stage course of this kind will not be nearly as effective for the student as one that first requires prior training in hypnosis.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Until Lee came on and shared his wisdom, I thought this was one of the more irresponsible threads I've read here in a long time. To even suggest someone should start booking shows now so that they have them lined up for when the finish a three day course a few months down the road is ludicrous. I even considered going to the Café hosts and encouraging them to pull this thread as I feel it is so out of line and dangerous.

Folks, this isn't magic tricks, though I know that hyp shows can be done that way. Even so, the expectations of audience members may still lead to the same kinds of problems that can potentially occur in a "real" hypnosis presentation.

You mention that Mr. Ronning is a member of the NGH. How do they feel about his doing an "intensive" three day training and then setting his pupils loose to perform? I'd be very curious to know. Certainly the ASCH (American Society for Clinical Hypnosis)wouldn't approve of this practice. Nor would the majority of well trained hypnotherapists of my acquaintence.

Also, can you imagine someone marketing a three day intensive course in mentalism or magic, with the promise that two months after completion you will be ready to do your own stage show? To people with no experience at all? I like to think that most of the members at the Café would be up in arms if someone were to market such a program. And neither mentalism or magic has the inherent risks of a hyp show.

Please stop encouraging such a potentially dangerous agenda. I don't care who is doing the training, how experienced or well trained they are or what they cover in the course. This is plain wrong headed and like Lee, I have to wonder about any trainer who would encourage the practices being suggested in this thread.

Dr. Bill Cushman
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stuart Cumberland
Lee,

How much time should a stage hypnosis course take to fully cover everything? If three days can't, how about five? Ten?...

How do you know Geoff won't/can't cover it all? Have you attended his course?

No bait. No trap. I'm just EXCEPTIONALLY curious as to how you come to those conclusions?

Ormond McGill taught stage hypnosis courses with Jerry Valley, I believe. I wonder what he would have thought knowing that the NGH did not support/endorse that? I believe they were three day courses as well... and the only qualification was cash.

I enjoyed your roof/foundation analogy. Here's one for you... the NGH was founded by... stage hypnotists.

Something to think about, eh? Smile

Blair
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
I apologize if feathers have been ruffled here. No such outcome was ever intended. Never have I suggested in this thread or any other that someone should do a three day training and go out the next day and start doing shows. I suggested that if Amir was going to take his training that he get Geoffrey's home study course and spend the next four months studying it before the three day training. I also suggested that he get Ormond McGill's Book. I'll tell you now, though there are people out there who have taken these weekend trainings and are out working and making happy audiences.

As to the lack of responsiblity on providing these trainings and the Governing bodies not approving. Jerry Valley's book is for sale in the NGH store and Jerry Valley and Ormond McGill conduct the same type of training for Stage Hypnotists.

No we magicians don't think these are just tricks. Its not something that you buy this morning and put in your show tonite. I bought Professional Stage Hypnosis for Magicians By Ormond McGill back in 1975 when it first came, so it's not something I woke up one morning this year and thought it would be great to do. You have to design your show, memorize your pretalk and inductions and practice your show and inductions before you ever go out and present it in person. I would also say that the six months until June that I suggested includes enough time to get your Hypnotherapy Certification as most that I have seen say one to two months.

I apologize if I have upset you Dr. Cushman. Lee knows that I try only to be polite on this forum. I don't believe that I am being irresponsible though. I have posted in many threads on this topic and I endeavor to give the best advice I can from the knowledge I have. I still believe it is better than what I used to read on here which was an attitude of stay away when people inquired about becoming a Stage Hypnotist.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I would agree with a lot of what has been said by Lee. I would actually go further and add that a course in hypnotherapy will not prepare you for what can go wrong in a stage context either!

Although related they are different disciplines with different objectives. The only similarity is that they both utilise hypnosis.

This really is a tough question to answer because at one time both myself and Lee had to start and gain experience and my guess is that Lee like myself had to go through that learning curve that was risky even with training.(looking back now Im not sure I would've done it knowing the possible risks especially at the begining)

Hypnotherapists are not the best either to get good solid info from or a balanced view.

Many experienced stage hypnotists are far more competent than hypnotherapists utilizing trance states. Many anti hypnotherapists actually envy successful stage hypnotists secretly because of their skill on stage. That becomes evident if you take time to talk to them and find out what their real objections are. More than often they are unfounded and crumble under questioning. And more than often in private they will agree with you. Whenever I attended hypnosis courses teaching theraputic techniques I was swarmed by the students when asked to demonstrate some stage techniques. I could've started a cult. Its this recognition by the general public that many hypnotherapists don't like.

Now I am a certified hypnotherapist(since 1992)and have numerous certifications and have attended many workshops. I have also studied and trained extensively in NLP. With some of top people, have practiced for more than 12 years and gained my first hypnosis certification in 1988. All I can say is it also works in reverse. I started as a stage hypnotist and this early experience allowed me to be a much better therapist/coach/trainer. One of the most famous trainers of Medical doctors in the US "David Elmen" started off as a stage hypnotist!

I am only posting this to give a balanced view. I don't like these three day wonder courses either but you have to start somewhere. One of the reasons I hate them is because of the sheer numbers of them mushrooming all over the place. This in itself increases the liklihood of problems occurring. It also saturates the market and kills off much of the mystery and entertainment value of the art.

Some will make the jump into becoming professional stage hypnotists albeit its a very risky take off even with further hypnotherapy training. Not everyone is cut out to do it either so don't let the marketing hype make you beleive that you will automatically become a professional stage hypnotist. Ive seen many who work for peanuts and couldn't be described as professional.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The first message in this thread asked why, if hypnosis is so popular, isn't everyone doing it?

Looking at the incredible amount of interest here at the Café,it seems that everyone IS trying to do it.

And, based on what I've seen, most of them are doing it badly. It used to be that magic was the only performing art where you'd always find a few people who thought that how well one performed the Elmsley Count was a measure of his talent.

Now, it seems that learning the so-called secrets of stage hypnotists is the magic ticket to success.

But is it possible to do this in just three days??

Three days? If you want to know how and why it works and what you have to do the get volunteers from the audience to follow your "hypnotic" suggestions; if that's all you are looking for, why waste three days?
I could teach you how that stuff works in about three hours. I could even throw in a few sure-fire gags and tell you which of the standard hyp routines (that everyone does) are most hilarious.

THAT'S what you need to know, because the success of a stage hypnosis show is rated by the laughs it gets. If the audience is screaming and rolling around on the floor laughing at their friends or co-workers as they pretend to be strippers, or Elvis, or victims of an invisible pinch on the butt - they obviously are having the time of their lives.

And the best part is that even the rankest amateur can get this kind of reaction from an audience, and he doesn't even have to understand why these sure-fire routines are considered to be funny. It's the volunteers, you see, who make the show.

Unfortunately, they are also the ones who, ultimately, may break it for you.

If you have no previous experience as an entertainer, you're are not going to become one in three days.

If you have no previous training in hypnosis, I wouldn't worry about it.

Stage hypnosis has very little in common with the variety practiced by clinicians - a fact that more than a few technically skilled hypnotherapists have discovered when they ill-advisedly agreed to perform in public before an audience of rowdy fun-seekers.

(If you really want to sound like you know the biz, NEVER refer to your act as a hypnosis show. It's called a 'Hyp Act' as in "I been giggin' the hyp act and polishing my chops."

Do NOT, however, use this phraseology if you suspect there may be a professional in the room, or that the old guy sitting in the corner with his back to you might be Ormond McGill.) But, as I said, it's easy to do a successful hypnosis show - about half of the time.

If, on the other hand, you want to learn what to do on the night when no one responds the way you thought they were supposed to, or if you want to learn the tricks and techniques of being an entertainer and a ringmaster at the same time, how does a few years sound?

Now, if you want to be a SUCCESSFUL entertainer, one of the five-percent or so who are able to make a living in show business - or maybe even become a member of the one percent who make a GOOD living at it - that might take another five or ten years.

Don't let yourself be seduced by the same misconception that has almost completely trivialized the art of magic in the eyes of many - the idea that skill or talent can be BOUGHT in a magic shop or at a seminar. If too many "performers" start believing that, it won't be long that they will succeed only in trivializing hypnosis as well.

Geoff Ronning, by the way, is a highly skilled hypnotist, mentalist AND entertainer. He is not misrepresenting anything when he says that you can learn what you need for a successful show in just three days of intensive training. I'm sure that his seminar is perfect for the experienced performer who wants to add hypnosis to his repertoire.

I haven't even touched on the potential hazards, legal and otherwise, which are a minefield that shouldn't be crossed if you are wearing a blindfold.

Bill and Lee have said pretty much all that needs to be said about that.

So as you take a deeep breath and count backwards from twenty down to one, your eyelids gently closing and slowly becoming heavy as lead - as you find yourself drifting into that wonderful space where the only thing you know is the sound of my voice...as you drift deeper and deeper into sleep knowing that you will not be embarrassed in any way - that nothing will happen that will be anything but pleasant, nor will you do anything that is against your wishes. And as we reach number one, you are going deeply asleep, feeling safe and secure, knowing that my voice is now yours. Sleep...now s**t your pants.

Now THAT'S entertainment!

Best-

Bob Cassidy
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I read too fast through Lee's last post and missed that he had contacted the NGH and discovered that they didn't endorse Geoff's seminar nor offer any certification for stage hypnosis. Also, the requirements of 150 + classroom hours for their certification. Despite Blairs information that the NGH was started by stage hypnotists, this is where they are now and I imagine they have some pretty good reasons. As a matter of fact, that a group started by stage hypnotists has taken the positions that the NGH currently holds is telling in itself.

Blair, as I indicated in my PM to you, it wasn't you that upset me. It is the overall direction of the thread and the suggestions (pardon the pun) given to a newcomer - "I absolutely have no background in hypnosis, I have never hypnotized anyone in my life." -that I find grossly irresponsible. Despite seeming to suggest (there I go again!) that Geoff's three day seminar is sufficient, the main information that I got from your posts is that Geoff has great qualifications. I'm sorry if I upset YOU, as the only concern I have of Geoff's qualifications is if he actually is supporting three day seminars as sufficient, a fact that you suggested in your PM to me is not wholly accurate.

Shrink makes some good points but I can't agree with everything he says. Only the things that agree with what I said! Seriously, some of what he posted that I found questionable are as folows:

"Many experienced stage hypnotists are far more competent than hypnotherapists utilizing trance states." This is an opinion, not a fact and if it is, I'd like to see some documentation. I'm sure that SOME stage hypnotists are more competent ("far" is another opinion that in and of itself, doesn't tell us much of value) than SOME hypnotherapists but I'd like to know where "many" comes from.

"Many anti hypnotherapists actually envy successful stage hypnotists secretly because of their skill on stage." This again is anecdotal information at best and comes off as biased particularly when Shrink next says, "That becomes evident if you take time to talk to them and find out what their real objections are. More than often they are unfounded and crumble under questioning. And more than often in private they will agree with you. Whenever I attended hypnosis courses teaching theraputic techniques I was swarmed by the students when asked to demonstrate some stage techniques. I could've started a cult. Its this recognition by the general public that many hypnotherapists don't like." Again, anecdotal at best and me thinks Shrink may have a tendency to exaggerate. Not to mention being unaware of the impact of his own biases (no offense meant Shrink. I hope you know that I think you are a good guy, but this has been my experience in reading your MANY posts and corresponding with you). And what the heck is an "anti-hypnotherapist?"

You yourself, Shrink say, "Hypnothrerapists are not the best either to get good solid info from or a balanced view," shortly before informing us that you have been a certified hypnotherapist since 1992! Hmmm....: )

Seriously (again), I think what Shrink meant is that hypnotherapists are not the best sources for solid info on stage hypnosis. This is unquestionably so. Please note my example that I would be, though not equally, worried about a three day training course purporting to to be sufficient to prepare a mentalist or magician to take to the stage. My point being that I don't think three days is enough to train someone to be ready to take the stage, no matter what the discipline is. And that holds, IMHO, even if the student is skillful in the discipline but doesn't have any training or experience in stage performance.

The best answer to this, in my opinion, is certification in hypnotherapy with at least as much time as required by the NGH and also including supervised practice of at least 40 hours as required by the ASCH, COMBINED with training in stage hypnosis. Like I said in the last paragraph, I really have trouble buying that three days would be enough but perhaps with a good background it would be a starting place.

Bill

Smile Smile

Phew, I took so long to post my last message, that Bob snuck in there with his usual style and flair. Not to mention getting quickly to the heart of the matter. While I suspect that he might not agree with my suggestion (my bias) that the best solution is a combination of training in stage hypnosis, stage work and hypnotherapy, we seem to be on the same page about expecting to be sufficiently trained to take the stage in three days. Blair asked Lee how long is enough and I think Bob answered!
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Bob, I can make you ***** your pants with only a post it note, even though your way was cool too

Bill, look into my eyes, you will send me your entire mentalist book collecton and everything you have ever written before the 25th

Etc

Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I agree with your point, Bill. that performance technique, stage hypnosis, and hypnotherapy are all essential areas of study for the performer. When someone gets on a stage and claims,expicitly or implicitly to have expertise in any field, he or she really ought to learn something about it, not just what's in the latest "How to Score Big Bucks as a Professional ____________" e-book,cd or dvd.

What would you think of a hypnotist who, when asked what he thought of Erickson's contributions, replied with "It's important to understand that he discovered America hundreds of years before Columbus, and it's about time the contributions of the Vikings were fully acknowledged. But let's get back to hypnosis."

. . .Or the "mentalist" who knows nothing of current research in parapsychology, but undauntingly proceeds to "pepper his patter" with 'insiders' jargon - words like 'mental telepathy,' 'clairvoyance,' and, of course, the old favorite 'extra sensory perception,' convinced that the audience will be dazzled by his obvious expertise - even though all he knows about psi is that it is something he alway does when he reads a column by Jamie Ian Swiss. ("How can Swiss," he wonders, "fail to realize that mentalism is an inherently entertaining form of mystery entertainment, whose primary appeal is to intelligent audiences? Everyone knows that Psi!")

There is no such thing as an effect or premise that is inherently entertaining (or commercial, for that matter, but that was a different thread, wasn't it.)

I overheard Dr Bob hustling his infamous "Power Fiddling Course" last week. Here's the gist of the pitch he uses -

"In just three days you will learn all you need to know about a violin's acoustical properties and the mechanics involved in producing its tones. You'll even know learn the secrets of the shellac and woods used by master violin makers. Bet you didn't know that country fiddlers cheat the double stops by filing down the bridge - and that's why they don'tspicatto. You'll even learn what that means and why no spitoon is involved! That's the kind of stuff most people have to go to Julliard to learn. Forget that. Take my "Power Fiddling Course" tomorrow and next week you'll be king of the Internet fiddle forum! Guaranteed!

"Oh, you wanted to learn how to make music? In three days? Buy a Discman, dude, and fake it on an the air fiddle I'm going to give you as a special bonus!"

Best-

Bob

(BTW- If you'd like to learn how Doctor Bob was legimately proclaimed "Billet King of Moldavia," read the front page article at the "new" http://www.mastermindreader.com/cd)
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Okay, but a good pretalk that gets them running up to volunteer. A well crafted modified Dave Elman Induction and a lot of fun skits will still get you a well received Hyp Act.

BTW, Milton Erickson was the psychiatrist that brought us modern hypnotherapy. But since Stage Hypnotism isn't about therapy what is your point. Grinder and Bandler brought us NLP. There seems to be a connection trying to be made between those who take three day trainings and people who haven't done any other research or reading on the subject. This is a far reach for a conclusion on this matter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Geoffery Ronning and hypnosis (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL