The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Warp Drive Could Become Reality Through Quantum Thruster Physics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Some of the Star Trek technologies like cell phones have now become reality. Who knows, maybe warp drive will become reality as well:

Quote:

yahoo news wrote:

Warp-drive technology, a form of "faster than light" travel popularized by TV's "Star Trek," could be bolstered by the physics of quantum thrusters — another science-fiction idea made plausible by modern science.

NASA scientists are performing experiments that could help make warp drive a possibility sometime in the future from a lab built for the Apollo program at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

A warp-drive-enabled spacecraft would look like a football with two large rings fully encircling it. The rings would utilize an exotic form of matter to cause space-time to contract in front of and expand behind them. Harold "Sonny" White, a NASA physicist, is experimenting with these concepts on a smaller scale using a light-measuring device in the lab. [Warp Drives and Transporters: How 'Star Trek' Tech Works (Infographic)]

"We're looking for a change in path length of the photon on the interferometer, because that would be potential evidence that we're generating the effect we're looking for," White told SPACE.com. "We've seen, in a couple different experiments with several different analytic techniques, a change in optical-path length. We're making one leg of the interferometer seem a little shorter because of this device being on, versus the device being off. That doesn't mean that it's what we're looking for."

While these results are intriguing, they are in no way definitive proof that warp drive could work, White said. The scaled-down experiments are just a first step toward understanding if these concepts can be taken out of the realm of theory and applied practically.

http://news.yahoo.com/engage-warp-drive-......551.html
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
It'll be 1000s of years before we're able to put warpdrive into practice.

If its at all possible that is.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Man, you guys are ready to tell people something can't be done before you will ever tell anybody it can be done. I imagine back in the 60s when Star Trek first came out they said the same thing about cell phones. It couldn't be done and here we are today with cell phones. They probably said the same thing about putting a man on the moon back in the 1930s and 40s: that it couldn't be done and would never happen. Yet, 20 or 30 years later Neil Armstrong walked the moon.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27113 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
White's work? Likely newsworthy after Pons and Fleishman get their cold fusion happening?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 10:25, General_Magician wrote:
Man, you guys are ready to tell people something can't be done before you will ever tell anybody it can be done. I imagine back in the 60s when Star Trek first came out they said the same thing about cell phones. It couldn't be done and here we are today with cell phones. They probably said the same thing about putting a man on the moon back in the 1930s and 40s: that it couldn't be done and would never happen. Yet, 20 or 30 years later Neil Armstrong walked the moon.

Thank heaven the Wright bros. didn't listen to naysayers!
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 08:54, General_Magician wrote:
Some of the Star Trek technologies like cell phones have now become reality. Who knows, maybe warp drive will become reality as well:

I don't think the cell phone analogy works here. Wireless two-way communication was around long before Star Trek. But I'm most interested in seeing Bo Derek used in warp technology.

Quote:

yahoo news wrote:

... The rings would utilize an *exotic form of matter* to cause space-time to contract in front of and expand behind them.

Bazinga!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I believe if we ever invent light-speed-travel-capable-machines it would be unmanned.

Possible something simple that is made of energy, thus capable of being sent at light speed through lasers that are already travelling at light speed.

Just my take on it. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
10WATSOC
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of 10WATSOC
Well the equations are all there, thank you Alcubierre. Warp drive could exist, the problem would be in acctually creating a sub-space bubble around a craft. This requires masses of energy, hence the warp drive using matter anti-matter reaction chambers. That is if we take everything star trek has said as litteral.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27113 Posts

Negative energy, exotic matter, scaling up the Kasimir effect... makes great patter. For now it's just patter. Stay tuned for experimental results. Remember the decade(s) wait for Alain Aspect's work on entangled photons.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 20:32, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
... Remember the decade(s) wait for Alain Aspect's work on entangled photons.

How could we forget??? Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27113 Posts

Maybe you read the pop-sci book Dancing Wu-Li Masters which discussed the ideas. It was four decades between a strange idea that bothered Einstein to and a stranger reality confirmed by experimental finding in 1982. That seems longer than the wave-partical or relativity ideas took to settle into accepted physics. All bets are off as to how long a wait it will be for detecting the items mentioned in that article on warp drive.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Lets see. Does faster than light mean that if I am looking right from where said object is coming from it will be here and gone, then I will see it coming?

Is that about right?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20487 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 10:25, General_Magician wrote:

Nobody said any such think. A country devoted decades of treasure to put a man on the moon. I don't thinknyou can find credible sources that said it would never happen.

As for cell phones they did exist when Star Trek came out.

Our country in particular has been one of innovation. But this does not mean you get behind every crack pot theory that manages to surface.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27113 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-28 02:17, acesover wrote:
Lets see. Does faster than light mean that if I am looking right from where said object is coming from it will be here and gone, then I will see it coming?

Is that about right?

Yup, there's some mention of this in Adam Roberts recent book Jack Glass. Smile
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-08-28 17:10, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-28 02:17, acesover wrote:

Is that about right?

Yup, there's some mention of this in Adam Roberts recent book Jack Glass. Smile

If faster than the speed of light occurs this makes perfect sense. I was just wondering if I was correct in my thought process.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Warp Drive Could Become Reality Through Quantum Thruster Physics (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL