The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sports Writer commits suicide at 60 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Okay. I've got it now. You're wondering if there is a reason, other than having committed a heinous crime and fear getting caught, that a sixty year old would commit suicide for non-medical reasons.

The answer, obviously, is "yes." The most obvious is just being sick and tired of one's life.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 14:54, mastermindreader wrote:
Okay. I've got it now. You're wondering if there is a reason, other than having committed a heinous crime and fear getting caught, that a sixty year old would commit suicide for non-medical reasons.

The answer, obviously, is "yes." The most obvious is just being sick and tired of one's life.

Agreed.

It just seems so drastic, and definitely final.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
There's something to be said for going out on your own terms.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 14:56, LobowolfXXX wrote:
There's something to be said for going out on your own terms.

Yeah! You're not coming back. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
We had a client and close friend, Lee Thompson Young, kill himself last week. 29 years old, making $700,000 a year, his show had just been picked up for a fifth season...and something must have just snapped, but we may never know. Absolutely no one saw it coming. It's terribly tragic.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 10:23, Slide wrote:

He was in good health, but had no children, parents were dead and he had no nieces or nephews. And no girlfriend or wife apparently.

Manley's site is a little ambiguous about his health issues. On one page, he says he has none. On another page, he mentions that he was starting to feel the effects of some kind of dementia (e.g. Alzheimer's). He didn't come right out and say it in those words, but that seems to me to be what he was talking about.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I'm surprised there was no post about his site when it went up.

I trust you all heard about the treasure hunt for gold that his site set off? If not, Google it.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 13:20, acesover wrote:

Can anyone here really come up with a reason to end ones life at age 60 with no medical reasons? Unless you committed some heinous crime and are afraid of getting caught. Guilty conscious. Something along the lines of "Crime and Punishment". Great book read it. You won't be disappointed.

Boredom. Perhaps he felt he had accomplished all that he had intended to and had no other goals to achieve.

Fear. He obviously was afraid of growing old, becoming infirm and losing control of his life. He chose to exit on his terms and no one else's

Control. See above

So yes, you don't have to be terminally ill nor guilty of a crime to wish to end ons life.

My grandfather chose to have his leukemia go untreated and die and early death in part because he was too cheap to pay for the treatments and partially because it was the easiest way to get away from my grandmother.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 17:19, Payne wrote:
Quote:

Can anyone here really come up with a reason to end ones life at age 60 with no medical reasons? Unless you committed some heinous crime and are afraid of getting caught. Guilty conscious. Something along the lines of "Crime and Punishment". Great book read it. You won't be disappointed.

Boredom. Perhaps he felt he had accomplished all that he had intended to and had no other goals to achieve.

Fear. He obviously was afraid of growing old, becoming infirm and losing control of his life. He chose to exit on his terms and no one else's

Control. See above

So yes, you don't have to be terminally ill nor guilty of a crime to wish to end ons life.

My grandfather chose to have his leukemia go untreated and die and early death in part because he was too cheap to pay for the treatments and partially because it was the easiest way to get away from my grandmother.

All valid points. But I believe they fall under mental stability.

Jack Benny had a great line.

Being help up by a robber with a gun the robber says. "Your money or your life."
Jack Benny remains quiet and finally the robber says "well". To which Benny replies "I am thinking".
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 15:47, Andrew Zuber wrote:
We had a client and close friend, Lee Thompson Young, kill himself last week. 29 years old, making $700,000 a year, his show had just been picked up for a fifth season...and something must have just snapped, but we may never know. Absolutely no one saw it coming. It's terribly tragic.

I read about that; as you say: tragic.

Although you say that no one saw it coming, amongst the worst of the fallout is all the people who, after the fact, will recriminate themselves (or others), believing that they should have seen it coming. I've been there (years ago a young woman I saw every day at work killed herself one weekend). It's so sad, for everyone involved.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I wonder how many have actually read the poignant thoughts of Mr. Manley. He has very carefully made a cogent case for what he did. He has stated that he would not have taken the course he did if he had living immediate family. He was only 60, but he recognized the onslaught of dementia and disability.

I doubt I would have taken the same course, at least not in the same way. But I respect the right of people who once "were kings" to refuse to accept the paltry leavings of old age. And old age comes at different times for different people.

Perhaps Mark Twain had it right- which of the 5 boons is best?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
Just wanted to add:

Not out of obligation to family. Rather love of family.
. . .

This, agree.

Sad to think he was only thinking he would stay out of obligation. Perhaps a sign of something deeper, which he did not/had not acknowledge(d)??
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Why can't some of you merely accept he just decided he was finished and left the planet HIS way. Geeze, it's his life for God's sake. I applaud him for his decision and courage.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 13:59, acesover wrote:
Because in this instance Shakespeare wrote a tragedy and not a comedy. So death was a given.

So, did Dante write a comedy? I know, I know, it's all about the style of writing for the classes at the time. At least that's what Dan Brown said. Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
First off let me clarify something. When you are taught to investigate crime they never mention look for the 60 year old dude who committed suicide and was healthy to close the case.

As for why it is a pointless question. Nobody can look into the life of another and decide hey have plenty to live for. Nobody can know enough of another to even come close to the depths of what is happening inside. Maybe family would have helped. Who knows the family may have sped up the process.

You can take it as time to look at what you have and are thankful for. Take the time to appreciate your life more and respect others as well. But why will never be answered. If you can't imagine why you are probably on the right track in some way in your own life.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 23:31, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 13:59, acesover wrote:
Because in this instance Shakespeare wrote a tragedy and not a comedy. So death was a given.

So, did Dante write a comedy? I know, I know, it's all about the style of writing for the classes at the time. At least that's what Dan Brown said. Smile

Funny you should mention Dante's Divine Comedy...ever read my signature here?
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Never paid attention to it. I just did. Smile As our British cousins might say, "Quite right. Quite right." Smile

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 13:23, Slide wrote:
"Ah, where is that to be found now?'

at the link I provided.

Who's on first?

I did not find a link to that page other than the one which does not work. Is there an alternate link where the site has been re-hosted?

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-08-28 00:41, Dannydoyle wrote:
First off let me clarify something. When you are taught to investigate crime they never mention look for the 60 year old dude who committed suicide and was healthy to close the case.

As for why it is a pointless question. Nobody can look into the life of another and decide hey have plenty to live for. Nobody can know enough of another to even come close to the depths of what is happening inside. Maybe family would have helped. Who knows the family may have sped up the process.

You can take it as time to look at what you have and are thankful for. Take the time to appreciate your life more and respect others as well. But why will never be answered. If you can't imagine why you are probably on the right track in some way in your own life.

"If you can't imagine why you are probably on the right track in some way in your own life."

That's a very good point.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
"I want to go when I want. It is tasteless to prolong life artificially. I have done my share, it is time to go. I will do it elegantly."

- Einstein, refusing surgery to extend his life. He died the next day.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sports Writer commits suicide at 60 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL