The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Tricks with audio cassettes (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of cbmar
You don't really see cassette tapes anymore.
I found one old trick in my collection that uses a tape and wondered what others are out there.
Aside from the various incarnations of cassette predictions that require some special player to make the magic work, what tricks can you think of that use audio cassettes?
So far I've only come up with 4, but I'm certain there are more.

Vanishing Bandana
Monsieur Cassette (Gerald Kosky)
Track Record (Larry Becker)
Room For Doubt (Tony Spina)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Astrological I believe it was called.

This still can work with a CD, just enhance some kind of noise on the CD once the tape is converted to cause a reason to check the CD in the drawer or portable player.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I remember one called, "Animal Safari". It was one of the earlier versions of the prediction trick based on the 3 x 3 matrix.

Bill, the problem with a CD player is that once you open the tray, everything defaults to new. It won't automatically start where you left off, unless there is a way to do this that I am not aware of. Of course you could have the "new" side recorded as another track and play it, allowing the story/instructions to supposedly continue from where it left off. Not sure how many people might pick up on that discrepancy. You could however put the different tracks on a two-sided DVD (no video) and pop in the correct side based on the spectator's odd or even choice (assuming the choice is made before the DVD is played and not per instructions in the recording).
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Michael, you are correct, I have a stack of blank double sided DVDs beside me. I never owned a portable CD or DVD player so don't know if it can be preset or not to start at where it left off.

I do know my DVD software always ask if the move should resume where it left off while playing a DVD then shutting down the program and restating.

Something to play around with and find out.

I cannot find the math trick these are based on. Astrological offered to sell the method for a manual presentation, but I never got around to purchasing the instructions. If we could find the mathematical trick, then these could be done by the performer following a script.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The formula (a formula) can be learned by experimentation. Just script so each move is either odd or even so that it becomes impossible for the spectator to land on the target spot.

Regarding the DVD, I have other thoughts now. First, if the same side is required after the "bad spot" there is no need to remove the DVD. Just act as if you need to and the DVD starts playing correctly before you can do that. There is might be a problem with the typical delay of loading, if needing to remove it to switch sides. The resume feature would be moot at that point anyway. Best thing to do would be to have the second side recording only contain the part of the script necessary to complete the trick, push play once it loads and go from there. Still much slower than a cassette would be.

Further thinking... perhaps this could be done with an MP3 player (ipod). Have the recording get weird at one point and either let it go, or jump to a new track (unknown to the audience). I think the transition would be much faster.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, another use for Apple iPod, good thinking Michael. Makes the trick a lot more expensive, but if you have the tapes already, then it is the best solution so far.
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of cbmar
As an alternative to two-sided dvds, what about two different cds in a Himber style cd case?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 19:21, cbmar wrote:
As an alternative to two-sided dvds, what about two different cds in a Himber style cd case?

That will work if the method is a simple side A or B. However, the marker must be placed first, so you'll know which CD to use. In the case of "Animal Safari", (the one that I'm most familiar with) the cassette tape is played and it gives the spectator ALL the instructions, including the first placement of the marker. Then the tape starts to sound garbled. The magician removes it to check it and reinserts it with the proper side playing, depending on where the marker was initially placed. Slightly different approach.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If the player of a CD or DVD cannot be set to restart where it left off, then maybe using a switch case with 3 DVDs. One with the entro, then 2 with the final path to the selection.

I believe a DVD player may work, as even when the DVD is removed, a message come up to start over or resume where it was stopped. Just enter resume. I would make up a sample and go to the electronics store and try some out to see if this is true with all models or just certain models.

With astrological, you could get 12 tapes to come out to be any of the signs. This was only in case you knew the person's sign or wanted to repeat with the same audience.

Now this brings up the matter of DVDs, are the numbers or bar code around the disc read by the player. If it is then it will read the disc as a different disc. If not then it should work if the player has a resume feature.

Some DVDs have a bar code around the cut out center circle. Some do not, but I don't know if this is read by the player to tell it that it is the same disc or not.

Seems some research needs to be done.
cowens
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of cowens
I had "Magic Safari" as a teenager. I really enjoyed performing it. I still have the tape but none of the animal cards. I'll be able to make them. Do you know where I can find information on the 3 x 3 matrix? I think I'll be able to transfer the audio to a CD and/or my phone and either let the track continue to play and resolve or go to the next track if needed based upon their initial placement of the marker.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Tricks with audio cassettes (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL