The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Wallet Advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alden
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Alden
Hi guys, I'm new to magic and want to buy my first wallet to use for peeks and also CTW ( I've just ordered Peter Nardi's Extractor and also the Casanova Concept). Both effects allow for a CTW routine. However there are so many wallets out there I really don't know which one to purchase. The Fourseen Wallet looks great but then so do the Espionage and the FI Nitro,I really don't know where to start, any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Many Thanks
Aiden C
brucewilcox
View Profile
Loyal user
Readers advised to disregard most of my
266 Posts

Profile of brucewilcox
Hi Alden,

I may be far from the best person to give an answer on this as I only use CTW on a very limited basis and only in a mentalism context (e.g., load a business card into wallet for a later reveal). I've experimented with a *lot* of wallets, however, and I can share some of the considerations that I've run across:

- Do you care how much the wallet looks like a typical wallet for where you live? For us in the U.S. that usually means a horizontal-format billfold with a pocket for a stack of bills plus slots for credit cards. In my own case I tend to prefer function over form and I don't require a "traditional billfold" design, but that's just me - many insist on what would be considered a "normal looking" wallet that would blend in with everyone else's wallets in the room, and that's totally fine. Either way, you should be comfortable with the appearance of the wallet as that will aid you in being casual as you handle the wallet in front of spectators.

I think we're fortunate to be in a good place right now re wallets - there are many to choose from, and excellent options exist in both the "traditional" billfold design and in others which depart from that form factor in greater or lesser degrees.

- Do you want the wallet to function as your everyday wallet, with all of your real credit/debit cards, ID, cash, etc.? There's a lot of debate on this point - many use their gaffed wallets as their regular wallets, others would never do so. Some prefer to keep their wallets in as pristine condition as possible, others prefer that the wallets appear to be used to look more natural. Deciding on an everyday use wallet will depend on the design you choose, how much you carry that's not for magical use and to what degree you're willing to subject the wallet to wear each day.

- Do you care about the wallet's overall size? Do you, like most people, want a wallet that can be used easily in a back pants pocket, or (like the few) would an inside jacket pocket size be better for you in performance?

- Do you care about the wallet's thickness and how much can be put into the wallet? I mention this because there are several wallets on the market such as the Espionage, Outlaw's Hideout and Showdown, etc., that are genuinely excellent, but they incorporate so many features (indexing in particular) that they're fairly thick even when they're empty, and by the time some cards and money have been added they're way too thick for my taste (but not for everyone's - many use and love these wallets).

For me, I keep coming back to my Stealth Assassin Wallets (which aren't awesome for CTW, so I'm not recommending that model for you), and for some situations I use a Super-Slim Hip Pocket Mullica, a JOL Large Plus, a Mind Spy and also an Evildan Vendetta. None of those look much like a common U.S wallet, and none are used for everyday carry (though all three Stealth Assassins have spent enough time in pockets to look broken-in).

I'm not familiar with the Extractor or the Casanova Concept. I do own an F1 Nitro, which I think is an awesome CTW wallet with a very good p@@k function (for me the Stealth Assassin is just enough better for my needs that I haven't put the F1 into use, but if I did a "real" CTW I'd definitely use it). The F1 is not a traditional billfold design, however.

Good luck with your wallet purchases. I doubt that many of us have stuck to our first wallets and you may find you'll need to to try more than one to find what's right for you, but being aware up front of what you think you want (or don't want) in a wallet design may help you get closer on your first try.

Take care,

Bruce
...in the Land of the Free, and the Home of the B'Wave.
Alden
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Alden
Thanks Bruce , that's really helful advice. I need to consider what else I want from my wallet and you have given me much to think about, your help is really appreaciated Bruce,
Thanks again,
Aiden.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I use anything to wallet, I can load anything in it , cell pone , keys etc and the load is very fast, just my preference. I like it because you can use it for other things apart from cards.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Alden
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Alden
Hi George, quick one for you, which wallet are you writing about? Thanks, Aiden
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
The Fourseen wallet is very good for mentalism, and has a Mullica wallet which you could use. Otherwise I wouldn't use it for CTW. IMHO loading envelopes into the main (non Mullica) wallet section is a pain. If you do decide to go Fourseen, there are usually second hand ones available. Loads of wallets out there so the thread above is a good bet.
Danny
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Wallet Advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL