The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Bruce Bernstein's Separation Anxiety (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I've had a chance to road test this routine for the past week, and it's been such a treat to perform. I've used some variation of OOTW for several years, but Separation Anxiety is quickly becoming my favorite. Only using 20 cards keeps things moving along, I love not having to use reference cards for red & black, the second phase of this routine beautifully builds off of the first phase, and the psychology reveal at the end is a terrific capper. Can't recommend this enough!
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
563 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
On 2013-08-28 23:26, Mike Ince wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-28 23:19, bdekolta wrote:
Where was Derren's handling published?


In his DVD set, "The Devil's Picturebook". You can see a later, edited version of his final unpublished routine here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noE1yf5LqYQ I imagine it still requires bold confidence. Alternatively, Separation Anxiety could be performed on live TV without cutaways.


Ha, I liked the nod to Paul Curry at the spot 3 minutes, 17 seconds in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noE1yf5LqYQ#t=3m17s

But concerning Separation Anxiety, I'm familiar with John Armstrong's "Out of this Blah" but I'm probably getting this as well, seems really great.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I love that DB clip. The look on the undertaker's face shows how hard the effect hit home. He was absolutely stunned.
MT
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of MT
So where do we buy this?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12329 Posts

Profile of John C
 http://brucembernstein.com/saeffect.htm

Quote:
On 2013-09-25 03:47, MT wrote:
So where do we buy this?


Review the thread and ye shall find.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Also being sold on Penguin now
Jack
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Jack
I purchased 'Separation Anxiety' hesitantly as I know a few versions of OOTW that use 20 cards and are very practical mind blowers. I like Bruce's method but will still use Daryl's 'Out of this Hemisphere' and J.K. Hartman's 'World Class' most of the time. They both are equally (if not more)deceptive than Bruce's and Ed Marlo, Sid Lorraine, Michael Weber, Ken Krenzel, Jon Racherbaumer and Larry Jennings' contributions to Daryl's trick provides great variety and all for just $10. But yes, I agree that Bruce's illusion is very good.

http://www.daryl.net/product_detail.php?id=509
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12329 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2013-09-29 09:57, Jack wrote:
I purchased 'Separation Anxiety' hesitantly as I know a few versions of OOTW that use 20 cards and are very practical mind blowers. I like Bruce's method but will still use Daryl's 'Out of this Hemisphere' and J.K. Hartman's 'World Class' most of the time. They both are equally (if not more)deceptive than Bruce's and Ed Marlo, Sid Lorraine, Michael Weber, Ken Krenzel, Jon Racherbaumer and Larry Jennings' contributions to Daryl's trick provides great variety and all for just $10. But yes, I agree that Bruce's illusion is very good.

http://www.daryl.net/product_detail.php?id=509


Daryl should take PayPal. I was ready to part with my money.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2595 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Here's my review on Separation Anxiety:

I'm never doing another OOTW. Fast, easy, fun, baffling, and a kicker that feels like mind control instead of a card trick. The way the second part slightly differs from the first part is genius.

Should be called OOTWTF.

Why can't all stuff be this simple and practical!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12329 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2013-09-29 09:57, Jack wrote:
I purchased 'Separation Anxiety' hesitantly as I know a few versions of OOTW that use 20 cards and are very practical mind blowers. I like Bruce's method but will still use Daryl's 'Out of this Hemisphere' and J.K. Hartman's 'World Class' most of the time. They both are equally (if not more)deceptive than Bruce's and Ed Marlo, Sid Lorraine, Michael Weber, Ken Krenzel, Jon Racherbaumer and Larry Jennings' contributions to Daryl's trick provides great variety and all for just $10. But yes, I agree that Bruce's illusion is very good.

http://www.daryl.net/product_detail.php?id=509


Daryl should take PayPal. I was ready to part with my money.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12329 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2013-09-29 18:17, bevbevvybev wrote:
Here's my review on Separation Anxiety:

I'm never doing another OOTW. Fast, easy, fun, baffling, and a kicker that feels like mind control instead of a card trick. The way the second part slightly differs from the first part is genius.

Should be called OOTWTF.

Why can't all stuff be this simple and practical!


Because most mentalist come from magicians and feel they must prove everything. Shuffle, cut, all different no fakes. Etc.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1920 Posts

Profile of Platt
While there will always be a move or a discrepancy in OOTW, the moves seem particularly unnatural here. I've studied a lot of variations on the the Curry classic and have yet to see anything that improves upon Lorayne's Impromptu OOTW.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Jack
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Jack
Hmmm, Lorayne huh? I'm not sure if I've seen it but am definitely intrigued. Do you remember where you learned it or where it's available?
Jack
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Jack
After playing with Bruce's illusion I can definitely see it's merits. It is the most self-working variation. I made up a set as per his suggestions, put it in a nice little wallet and tossed it inside my packet trick pocket. I do, and if you're new to this premise, recommend learning Daryl's trick and if you're going to fork out this much money for a single card illusion, then what's an extra $10? The reason I say this is that Bruce's trick needs more table space to perform and Daryl's trick doesn't, and it's a great trick and value. So that way, just for $10 more you'll have two mind blowing packet versions of OOTW to broaden your magical horizon with muggles.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3348 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Which do you consider stronger, Bruces version or Daryls?
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Does Separation Anxiety have ANY sleight of hand?

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On 2013-09-30 20:05, Platt wrote:
While there will always be a move or a discrepancy in OOTW, the moves seem particularly unnatural here. I've studied a lot of variations on the the Curry classic and have yet to see anything that improves upon Lorayne's Impromptu OOTW.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2285 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Insight wondered:
Quote:
Does Separation Anxiety have ANY sleight of hand?


Depends on how you define "sleight of hand". If you mean, "something happening that the audience doesn't see", then the answer is "Yes." If you mean, "some tricky/difficult manipulative card move", then the answer is "No."
"Calculated Thoughts" now available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Thank you. That answers my question. One more before I purchase: can the performer ensure that the outcome is 1) ALWAYS that there are 10 cards in both piles, and 2) ALWAYS separated by black and red (or at least perceived that way by the subject)?

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On 2013-10-03 19:54, ddyment wrote:
Insight wondered:
Quote:
Does Separation Anxiety have ANY sleight of hand?


Depends on how you define "sleight of hand". If you mean, "something happening that the audience doesn't see", then the answer is "Yes." If you mean, "some tricky/difficult manipulative card move", then the answer is "No."
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2285 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Yes.
"Calculated Thoughts" now available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2285 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Yes.
"Calculated Thoughts" now available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Bruce Bernstein's Separation Anxiety (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL