We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » New authorized builder for Joe Lefler Tables (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Yes, I mean when it's open. It's very sturdy. It's a very solid case open and closed.

John
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I found a bunch of plastic bins, with lids, that fit 3 across in the small area of the lefler table and made perfect drawers for smaller props/tricks.

I don't use that table anymore but I liked it while I had it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7456 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I had a Lefler table that I bought in 1994, and I bought the replacement Pro Suitcase Table in 2014.

One thing that happened with the older table over time, is that when it was folded up into the open position, the sides would flare out now and then (and it would collapse) when a lot of pressure was put on the top in the open position. So, it could collapse if something too heavy was set on top in the wrong spot, or if someone leaned on it hard. This was something that happened over time, because the joint in the wood came a little loose, allowing the "wings" to flare out at times.

With the new table, the sides do not flare out at all when a lot of pressure is put on the top in the open position. It is very solid. I think it is made out of a slightly thicker birch plywood than the original, too.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of John Martin
If this is a problem with your table (mine does not suffer from this....yet)you can put a cotter pin in one of the bracket holes (or drill one). This will keep the table side tight to bottom and it won't "slip" off as Donald suggested. The flanges that holds the table open are actually bent hinge that slides over the bottom sides of the table to hold the upper section in place. It is possible that the top half could "ride" over the bent hinge. The cotter pin with stop this from happening. Then you can sit on it!!! Smile

John
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I noticed the height of these tables when opened is rather high. The large table with 4" casters is 40" tall when opened. The large table with a retractable handle has 3" casters and is 38" tall.

This is much taller than a table you would sit down at. I have been using an Instand table and I measured the height I put it at and it is 31" tall.

If you have a table that goes up to 38" or 40" tall and kids are sitting in the living room just a few feet in front of the table, they won't even be able to see the top would they? What is your experience with the height of this table?
And do the 3" casters lock?

One final concern, I noticed when the table is open the latches stick out the backside of the table. It looks like you could snag your pants or shirt on these latches. Also it is not aesthetically pleasing to have the latches there on top of the table when it is opened. What is your opinion/experience with this?
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of John Martin
I learned how to set my working table from an old pro years ago. I was told to stand straight and place my palm flat on the working surface. This accomplishes two things. First the table is set to the proper height for those sitting on the floor to see what going on on the table. Secondly it is set to the proper height so you don't have to bend over when working.

Obviously at 38-40 inches the roll on table is a little too high. I use the roll on table to set bigger props on or smaller ones close to the front so all can see. I also have a small table top on a eureka base that I work off off set at my proper height which is about 35-36 inches.

As for the latches. I don't think anyone would notice them much. They are smooth cornered and in the 15 years I've had my table, I have never snagged pants or shirt on them. One thing they are good for is to hang props from. I hang the bag that holds my linking rings by the string tie on one of the latches.

John
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2015, John Martin wrote:
I learned how to set my working table from an old pro years ago. I was told to stand straight and place my palm flat on the working surface. This accomplishes two things. First the table is set to the proper height for those sitting on the floor to see what going on on the table. Secondly it is set to the proper height so you don't have to bend over when working.

Obviously at 38-40 inches the roll on table is a little too high. I use the roll on table to set bigger props on or smaller ones close to the front so all can see. I also have a small table top on a eureka base that I work off off set at my proper height which is about 35-36 inches.

As for the latches. I don't think anyone would notice them much. They are smooth cornered and in the 15 years I've had my table, I have never snagged pants or shirt on them. One thing they are good for is to hang props from. I hang the bag that holds my linking rings by the string tie on one of the latches.

John

Thanks John, that is very helpful.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7456 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
For me, it doesn't matter if children can see the tabletop, because I'm not doing close up where I need to work on a surface. I'm doing a stand up show where I hold the props.

However, if having a lower table is important to you, consider buying their 2-in-1 Shelf/Tabletop and Ultimate Table Base - Compact (sold separately, from Showtime Magic Products), and using that as a side table. That table can adjust to a lower height.

Both of those pieces (tabletop and base) are designed to fit inside the Pro Suitcase Table, along with your other props, so you can walk in with everything in one case. I bring along one side table to my birthday shows (for my botania), and two side tables to my larger (non-birthday) shows, in addition to my Pro Suitcase Table.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Sorry for any confussion. It's not about seeing the TABLE TOP, but rather seeing what's ON the table top.

John
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
828 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
I have the same dilemma as you, I am worried about the height. I will be ordering a large table this weekend with the retractable handle from Chris this weekend. I am torn on whether to purchase the extra tall option. I like the idea of the extra storage but I fear what my cups and balls will look like from that height. I am going to prop up my keyboard stand setup this weekend and see how it performs at that level.

I am also having Chris construct a canvas cover with pockets for my Supreme Slate of Mind and a much wider tabletop to place on top.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of David French
Hi Chris -

I have used the small Lefler table for years. I do work from the table top often. If I have kids seated on the floor and cant see the table top, I merely ask the kids to stand up for that particular routine. Not a big deal..if folks are seated in chairs I have never had an issue with them seeing the table top.

Hope that helps.

David
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
828 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Thanks, David. The large with extra tall feature is 42 inches tall. The small is 38 inches tall. Curious if those 4 inches would make a big difference.

I know I will have to get used to performing at such a greater height. My loads will be blocked by the table at this height.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » New authorized builder for Joe Lefler Tables (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL