The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Back issues (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aqualung
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of aqualung
Hello. I work full time as a Global Investment Communications Associate. Like many people, my job involves quite a lot of desk work. In addition, I perform card magic semi-professionally at corporate and private events, on average twice a week. Over time, I have found that the four or so hours I spend on my feet performing, is having an adverse effect on my lower back, causing me acute discomfort when moving or bending. I am wondering if anyone can recommend the best way to alleviate this. A dozen or so years ago, a performer friend of mine had similar issues and found that a kind of sports girdle helped with support - though he told me that his was an old-fashioned affair made of leather. I am about to embark upon a course of physiotherapy. However, this is mainly curative rather than preventative. Does anyone else have this issue, and if so - what are the best ways to tackle it?

On a related note, I have mild athlete's foot. Clearly, one does not want the symptoms of such a condition to be present during a paid engagement. For what it's worth, I can recommend Daktarin Gold to any fellow sufferers. We should be grateful we're not the poor soul who reported to me similar problems in the... well, let's just say "between the cheeks" area (!)... but even then, I believe something like Vaseline or any good cortisone cream would see you right and would enable you to avoid the extreme inelegance of scratching mid-performance.

All help gratefully received.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
When you go to physical therapy, they'll give you a number of stretching exercises to do at home. Do yourself a favor and do them religiously at least twice a day, three times, if possible. At first, it may seem that they're not working. Stay with it and you'll begin to notice that you can stand for longer periods of time, etc.

At one time, I could only stand or walk for a short time without feeling extreme discomfort. Today, I can stand and walk around all day, pretty much at will. I believe it's due to the stretching exercises.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Back issues (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL