The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge ball routine phases (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I'm curious to know: when you're doing a sponge ball routine for a group of spectators- say at a table- do you do every phase of your routine with only one spectator or do you sometimes mix it up with others to get more people involved in the magic?

What are some reasons for your way of doing things?

Thanks!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I mix it up with several spectators. Gets more people involved. Especially with kids. They all want to be a part of the magic.
Also- as you add more balls into the routine or change the size of the ball- you are less apt to have kids notice the difference in the load if you are using multiple spectators.
TypicAlly I will use about 3 kids in my sponge ball routine.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Also with sponge balls - you don't need a reason. I just use their hands as my table and go from spectator to spectator. They are all willing- they want to see what it feels like.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I was thinking along the same lines as far as the- "less apt to notice the difference in the load."

Thanks for the reply!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I used to do sponge balls when working tables in restaurants. I decided to change over to the version called "and then there were 4" for the main part of the routine, because they are basically square, and they don't roll when the spectator drops them on the floor.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I have that effect and have been considering using it, wondering where to work it in or do it as a stand alone sponge routine. Thanks for the input Bill, I'll keep that aspect in mind. And thanks for access to the museum, I love the S&S routine!
goochelaarpresto
View Profile
New user
BRUSSELS - Belgium
5 Posts

Profile of goochelaarpresto
I have a way to hide my third palmed sponge ball by putting in in my elbow pitt when rolling up my sleeves,

this gives them a very good view on my empty hands and letting them examin the two 'starting' sponge balls very precisely as long as they want,

then I resume once again with the phrase "so nothing up the sleeves' (steeling the third sponge ball in palmed position) and off I go...

I don't recall how I once started with it but it is very deceptive and clean,

enjoy!
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Just pulled my sponge wand out of the drawer- that plays so well with kids. I started using it as the kids are being seated for the show. directing them to were they should sit and then pulling a sponge ball from their ears for payment to the show.
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
I do all the phases, but with as many different spectators as I can engage at the table. It makes the routine more lively and includes as many as possible.
Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks for the continued input all-

j- what is a sponge wand?
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Profile of Roy the Illusionist
Here's a sponge wand demonstration for ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjs0ExWmJQ
Are you watching closely?
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 01:31, jcrabtree2007 wrote:
I mix it up with several spectators. Gets more people involved. Especially with kids. They all want to be a part of the magic.
Also- as you add more balls into the routine or change the size of the ball- you are less apt to have kids notice the difference in the load if you are using multiple spectators.
TypicAlly I will use about 3 kids in my sponge ball routine.

Well put!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge ball routine phases (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL