The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fast Food Strike (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
A living wage is a wage that will allow a family of four to eat, clothe themselves, put a roof over their head and afford medical insurance.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
One must also take into consideration that McDonalds itself is corporation whereas the Mcdonald's establishment is a franchise. So who is paying the price for raising the employees salary? Certainly not corporate McDonalds. Nope the owner of the establishment is. So I do not believe that what is paid to employees will affect McDonalds bottom line. But it will affect the businessman who owns one and employees the people who want $15 an hour. Yep comes right out of his pocket.

Most McDonalds are a franchisee, or an affiliate. Some of the restaurants are owned by the parent company most are not. So when one raises prices or salaries it effects the owners first not the parent company first. Yet everyone says McDonalds pays poorly. McDonalds parent company does not pay the employees anything. The owners do. So let that go.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 12:54, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 12:26, Andrew Zuber wrote:
I find it interesting that workers are demanding 15 bucks an hour to work in fast food. I worked for Starbucks for eight years and while that kind of money would have been great as a barista, I sure wouldn't go on strike over it. Seems a bit absurd to me.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/29/news/fas......pt=hp_t2

I guess I have trouble understanding why it would be considered a bit absurd to strike over a living wage. Even if you are working 40 hours a week, $10 an hour is $20000 a year, almost impossible to live on in NYC at least.

But they're not striking for $10. They want $15.

I understand that it's not a fortune by any means, and I know times are tough. I also look at other jobs where works are making $15 an hour, and I don't believe they compare. Medical transcriptions, sales positions, office managers...granted different companies are going to pay different amounts for things, but what these employees are asking for seems high. And I think there are plenty of high school and college students who will be willing to work for less than that to earn some extra money. I don't see the fast food business shutting down because no one is willing to work for eight or nine bucks an hour.

Maybe it makes me a snob but like I said, I worked in this industry for a long time, and I felt that I was paid fairly. I worked my way through school, through grad school, and into the career I wanted. Unless you're at the management or corporate level, I don't see fast food as a career. Instead of demanding higher paychecks, I would be campaigning for more training programs to lead employees to management and corporate positions. I would be looking at stock options, health insurance, 401k matching and paid time off (all things that Starbucks offered for part time employees when I was with the company.)
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I should qualify my +1. It's not the hamburger price increase that leads to rising prices; it's the minimum wage increase that leads to not only the burger price increase, but also an increase in other prices. Prices are generally "what the market will bear.". When wages go up, the market bears more.

On a side note, fast food is an entry-level job. I realize that there are people who lost high paying jobs and are now working in the industry, but not all jobs are I tended to support families of 4.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 14:42, Slide wrote:
A living wage is a wage that will allow a family of four to eat, clothe themselves, put a roof over their head and afford medical insurance.

Exactly. Big screen TVs don't really figure into the equation.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 14:24, mastermindreader wrote:
Maybe I'm a bit dense this morning, but how does a fifty cent raise in the price of a burger at McDonalds effect the price of gasoline, which is largely governed by global oil prices?

I could just as easily argue that higher burger prices would LOWER the cost of gas. If, as suggested earlier, burger sales actually dropped, there would be fewer people driving to the fast food outlet, hence a lower demand for gasoline.

I didn't notice any spike in gas prices when the price of cigarettes went up. Or haircuts.

But the basic question remains the same- why is it unreasonable to expect employers to pay their workers a living wage? It seems like there is a corporate interest in KEEPING people in poverty.

You missed the obvious. People who buy gas and get haircuts do not smoke cigarettes so there was no affect. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Costs of living also vary wildly from area to area. It makes sense for the federal minimum wage to be relatively low, with high-cost states setting their own levels higher, if deemed necessary.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I agree with that. The cost of living in a given area should be a factor in determining the optimal minimum wage for that area. It costs more to live and do business in Manhattan that it does in Butte, Montana. Prices are much higher and wages should be commensurate with that.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 14:48, LobowolfXXX wrote:
On a side note, fast food is an entry-level job. I realize that there are people who lost high paying jobs and are now working in the industry, but not all jobs are I tended to support families of 4.

Exactly.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 14:48, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 14:42, Slide wrote:

Exactly. Big screen TVs don't really figure into the equation.

In order to get this You would need 40 grand a year minimum. Over 20 bucks an hour. In New York even more.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If the whole country is making nothing but chump change who can afford to have a magician at their kids birthday party. When trickle down economics grabs your by the throat you might have to get several chump change jobs.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2775 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
If that guy changing tires down at the service station has to pay more for his lunch every day over at McDonalds,
shouldn't he get a pay raise too?

What about that preschool teacher that runs through the drive through for a quick lunch.
Shouldn't she have more money to help out?

Shouldn't the corporate people pitch in and help us all? I don't think so, I don't think they could afford it.
Besides, they eat hamburgers and have bills to pay too.

Wage increases for the average worker NEVER comes from company profits. Most of the time the consumer foots the bill.
Other times the money is simply taken from co workers in reduced hours, benefits, etc.

When you start talking wage increases, everybody wants in on the action and a good way to justify it is,
"everything costs so much now." Guess why it costs so much.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Trickle down economics was started 30 years ago, and I'm still waiting to see evidence of any sort of trickle happening. I think all the trickle was diverted at least 29 years ago.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 13:36, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 13:26, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 12:48, mastermindreader wrote:
The market would certainly bear a sixty cent increase in the cost of a burger . . . .

What is the (average) price elasticity of demand for burgers?

It's entirely possible that the market wouldn't bear a sixty-cent increase, without the number of burgers sold dropping to the point that the total revenue is lower, not higher.

I don't believe burger consumption would be reduced if there was a minimal across the board increase in prices.

Whether or not you believe it doesn't make it a certainty.

I'd feel a lot more sanguine with some data.
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
There is no way the fast food industry will start paying it's workers $15 an hour. Should they be paid more, sure. Will they, not a chance. I know restaurants around me that pay much less than the minimum wage (they hire illegals and exploit them).
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Guess I was looking at it from a different perspective. As you know I am a landlord and also have a few other enterprises going on. Having said that I only have health insurance for myself and the wife with as with the rentals health insurance does not come into play except with my head mataniance man which have a deal worked out with him. Believe me he is paid well and worth every penny I pay him. In the billiard rooms it is run by all part timers and the small franchise which I am partners in I only attend meetings on these and we have a business manager. So while I pay my own health insurance it is not $20,000 a year as yours will be approaching.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 16:41, ShirtlessKirk wrote:
Should they be paid more, sure.

Why?
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 17:16, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 16:41, ShirtlessKirk wrote:
Should they be paid more, sure.

Why?

It's a slave wage for an awful job. I personally wouldn't do it for 3 times what they make now.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 14:46, Andrew Zuber wrote:

[But they're not striking for $10. They want $15.

Standard bargaining technique. Ask for $15.00 settle for $10.00
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fast Food Strike (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL