The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fast Food Strike (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 17:29, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 14:46, Andrew Zuber wrote:

[But they're not striking for $10. They want $15.

Standard bargaining technique. Ask for $15.00 settle for $10.00

That had occurred to me as well. Still not sure it will work though. If enough people quit en masse maybe...
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 17:25, ShirtlessKirk wrote:

It's a slave wage for an awful job. I personally wouldn't do it for 3 times what they make now.

When you pay more turn over decreases meaning that employees stay in their positions longer and actually get good at doing their job. Thus they become more efficient and cost decrease. There is a high price to pay for employee turnover as you're continually having to train new workers and suffer finally from their mistakes. It's the difference in etting help in a Costco or a Trader Jose compared to the type of service I've heard one gets in a Wal-Mart.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Efficiency and retention gains notwithstanding, it seems unlikely that doubling payroll costs would be a get gain at a low-skill job.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I am glad you think $1,600 a year is paltry.

What planet do you live on.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The one where you have a million dollars in the bank.I would imagine someone that well if would be on paying for their own health insurance.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Really,

How much income do you think 1M throws off in investment on a yearly basis in this economy. give me a break.
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 17:47, Slide wrote:
I am glad you think $1,600 a year is paltry.

What planet do you live on.

1600 a year is paltry and I'm barely middle class.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
It is $1,600 a MONTH shirtless, sorry for the mistake
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Just start another company with 500 subscribers at $20 a month you are good.

What about the whole get a job thing you promote? Right up I until it affects you I guess.

Thanks for the perspective.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Just start another company with 500 subscribers at $20 a month you are good. "

I'm starting 3 more. Two will launch next month. One has already generated $17k in income.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Personally, my insurance premiums are on the rise.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 18:09, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Personally, my insurance premiums are on the rise.

As are mine.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was curious as well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 17:25, ShirtlessKirk wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 17:16, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 16:41, ShirtlessKirk wrote:
Should they be paid more, sure.

Why?

It's a slave wage for an awful job. I personally wouldn't do it for 3 times what they make now.

It's a low wage for a job that requires little skill.

Whether or not you'd do it isn't relevant; skilled people rarely want to work in unskilled jobs.

Neither of your statements addresses why they should be paid more, however.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2775 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Saying it will only effect those at the bottom of the pay scale is not exactly true.
A minimum wage increase isn't just for those starting out like some want you to believe.

One big problem with minimum wage increases that you never hear much about and has an effect on small business like mine
that only work 15 to 20 employees is:

It forces the company to raise those that are already making more than minimum wage too. For example, you have an employee
that's been working for a year or more and has earned a small raise and then the minimum wage goes up. Now in walks a new person
and starts out earning what it took others a year or more to earn. Those employers trying to do the right thing will always see a major
payroll increase for certain.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Those who keep pointing out that their health insurance costs are going up generally neglect to mention that the insurance exchanges under the ACA, which will result in lowered costs and increased availability, don't even open until next year.

Just a minor detail that occasionally needs to be pointed out.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 14:24, mastermindreader wrote:
It seems like there is a corporate interest in KEEPING people in poverty.

Seems? Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-29 21:20, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 14:24, mastermindreader wrote:
It seems like there is a corporate interest in KEEPING people in poverty.

Seems? Smile

I stand corrected. I should have eliminated the "it seems like" but I was trying to convey that this was my personal opinion. (Though I do believe it to be true.)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 21:14, mastermindreader wrote:
Those who keep pointing out that their health insurance costs are going up generally neglect to mention that the insurance exchanges under the ACA, which will result in lowered costs and increased availability, don't even open until next year.

Just a minor detail that occasionally needs to be pointed out.

We'll see if they drop next year. I don't expect them to, but if I'm wrong about that, I promise to share that news with the Café.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

You agree, don't you, that the projections of reduced rates apply only AFTER the exchanges are open for business? So current increases being experienced by some aren't really relevant. Because of course insurance companies are going to try to cash in before the changes take place.

I think that the reason the right is so intent on trying to defund the ACA as quickly as possible is because they know that once the benefits fully kick in the public is actually going to like it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fast Food Strike (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL