The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fast Food Strike (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20487 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Are not relevant? How about to those experiencing them? Pretty relevant I must say.

So you say projections are for them to go down huh? Same people who projected better unemployment and that it would cost under a trillion and lied to pass the bill in the first place? Pardon me while I don't hold my breath.

What if costs go down and so does care? What if my costs go up and the care I get is worse? Does that matter?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bob
If wages are kept low who is going to buy the stuff the corporations want to sell us at Christmas time?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
You mean the stuff that exploited assemply workers can't afford to own themselves? Let them eat cake. It's those upwardly mobile yuppies who constitute the target market. Even Walmart workers can't afford to shop there. That's why they advise them how to obtain public assistance.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3622 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Well, it is interesting to hear pundits provide the calming thought that rates will go down. I certainly hope so for my employees, because we have scuttled a 50 + year old company-sponsored insurance plan after receiving a 49% increase in premiums, effective October 1 and on the heels of truly stupid regulations, reporting requirements and, of course, fines- we must not forget those! Feels good to know the federal government has our backs and I will no longer have to worry. Bring it on, Obamacare...

Oh, while we are on a roll, and bring on higher minimum wage and all the other forced benefits everyone thinks cash-rich businesses can afford. I rather love it when a restaurant tacks on a "fixed" 18% gratuity, cause I normally do 22%- so it saves me money. Same with minimum wage.

I envy those who, for any reason, do not have to meet a payroll every 2 weeks, rent, utilities. Who have the talent to come up with a great idea, and the money just comes rolling in. Nice! But, some of us run tight-margin enterprises with little room to screw up. Those who don't have no clue what they are talking about most of the time.

Thanks... I feel lots better...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 21:59, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Well, it is interesting to hear pundits provide the calming thought that rates will go down. I certainly hope so for my employees, because we have scuttled a 50 + year old company-sponsored insurance plan after receiving a 49% increase in premiums, effective October 1 and on the heels of truly stupid regulations, reporting requirements and, of course, fines- we must not forget those! Feels good to know the federal government has our backs and I will no longer have to worry. Bring it on, Obamacare...

Oh, while we are on a roll, and bring on higher minimum wage and all the other forced benefits everyone thinks cash-rich businesses can afford. I rather love it when a restaurant tacks on a "fixed" 18% gratuity, cause I normally do 22%- so it saves me money. Same with minimum wage.

I envy those who, for any reason, do not have to meet a payroll every 2 weeks, rent, utilities. Who have the talent to come up with a great idea, and the money just comes rolling in. Nice! But, some of us run tight-margin enterprises with little room to screw up. Those who don't have no clue what they are talking about most of the time.

Thanks... I feel lots better...

Nicely said.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2775 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Bob, I'm currently participating in the Social Security program. I have to match what the employees put in it. Smile

But hey, I'm not complaining, they do appreciate it, or will one day.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 12:48, mastermindreader wrote:
What the market will bear and what corporations are willing to pay their employees are two entirely different things. The market would certainly bear a sixty cent increase in the cost of a burger, more than sufficient to cover a reasonable living wage that should be payed to employees by corporations who are making record profits off of their labors.

source? I'm guessing you have one and I'd be interested in seeing it. I find it hard to believe that the cost of a burger would only rise 60 cents. I own a small business. Payroll is easily my largest expense. Increasing payroll significantly greatly increases my overall expenses and would require me to raise my costs significantly, (which would probably lead to less business and less income, etc. etc.). While there are some rich owners of fast food joints who own multiple locations, I also believe that many locations are owned by a single owner barely getting by. (Like me, although my business isn't a fast food joint.) I can't help but believe that raising the minimum wage to $15 would see a large number of fast food locations close there doors.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
OK, so I did a little research after writing the last post. It seems the .60 was based on one guys estimate where he didn't think to take a number of things into account raising serious questions about that number. (As I suspected.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor......er-hour/
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
More info

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/29......006.html

"The institute estimates that small-business owners who run McDonald's franchises spend about a third of their income on wages, which would mean the price of a Big Mac would go up by $1.28 to $5.27."

"With fewer and fewer Americans eating out at restaurants due to factors like the payroll tax hike and increases in gas prices, Riggs said restaurants like McDonald's are trying to discount prices as much as possible to get customers through the door. This means the company's profit margins could not withstand a labor cost increase of this magnitude, she added."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
And even a bit more.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la......07.story

"Based on those figures, a $15 minimum wage would cause as much as a 17% surge in fast-food prices and a nearly 27% slide in employment, Saltsman estimated."

I guess those 27% who lose their jobs will be making even less of a living wage at that point.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20487 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well they need the money rockwall! Living wage and such.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fast Food Strike (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL