The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phrases mentalists use that make you cringe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9647 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Would you like to change your mind? No, you're happy with the one you have.
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
912 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 13:08, Mindpro wrote:
Would you like to change your mind? No, you're happy with the one you have.

while on the subject on hack lines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c2GH1Ot8SQ
Reader discretion is advised.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I also cringe when I hear performer's stealing other mentalist's lines verbatim. I've actually had guys show up at my public performances with note books.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1237 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
The line I hate in all of life (which is heavily used by American magicians and mentalists) is...

Go ahead

Go ahead and pick a card
Go ahead and wipe my bum
Go ahead and write that down
Go ahead and durp durp durp

I can't stand it
I get physically sick when I hear it
(writing this post has caused much distress to my body)

Seriously, listen out for it, it's on just about every DVD and video of a mentalist/magician/anyone talking to anyone ever (especially American ones)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18496 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I do find language fascinating, we say things like "to be honest with you...", which kinda says that you haven't been honest up until that point...
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Kinesis:

"Hi, what's your name?"

Well, I recently watched Derren Brown's "Evening of Wonders".

He asked the participant on stage a question and she doesn't answer.

Derren says, "Come on, say it out loud. I'm not a mind reader, you know."

Got a big laugh...

Steve:

The one that irks me is: "I don't know if this is going to work?"

I've heard very well known mentalists use this line.

And you know what? The truth is that as nonsensical as these lines are, it doesn't matter.

I enjoy watching the Jack Benny Program late at night. Most of the time, the delivery of his lines are miserable.

But, for quite a long time, his show was the most popular on television.

Another example: I couldn't stand Kreskin's delivery. Thought he had the worse personality in the world.

Didn't care much for Uri Gellar's either.

So what?

You can be pitch perfect working little dinky venues or you can be tremendously flawed and successful in the big time.

It's hard to knock success.

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
ELima
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
164 Posts

Profile of ELima
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 13:58, mastermindreader wrote:
I also cringe when I hear performer's stealing other mentalist's lines verbatim. I've actually had guys show up at my public performances with note books.

"I asked you to stand up, not to attack me!" Smile
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2827 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I cringe when I hear generally well spoken performers mangle the English language and/or suddenly slip from casual but correct usage to droppin' ( : ) ) "gs" and similar less than professional sounding speech. I am not a card carrying member of the grammar police but I think certain basic standards are best maintained.

One of my favorite mentalists sounds great 98% of the time but seems to always do some version of the above, at least a couple of times during the performance segments on his DVDs. I know he has an excellent command of the language yet there some "verbal ticks" that inevitably occur.

My sense is that he is unaware when this happens and is not intentionally being "down to Earth." Not wanting to risk insulting him, I have thus far refrained from saying anything. What do people think? Would you want to have such things pointed out to you?
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1237 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 15:48, Bill Cushman wrote:
What do people think? Would you want to have such things pointed out to you?

Depends how it is explained to us,

an old creativity rule is that the skills needed to know you have done something badly are also the skills needed to improve, if they haven't noticed (or taken the time to notice while watching a recording of themselves) they might not enjoy being told they aren't great at speaking or similar
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9647 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
"Hi, welcome...I'm Bob Cassidy!" I don't use it much anymore.
DonEduardo
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of DonEduardo
I think I heard Peter Turner make all of these statements on his Penguin Live Lecture and I didn't cringe once. It was amazing to watch. All this nit-picking is going to cause performers to be too self conscious. It is hard enough to not be self-conscious standing in front of a group without analyzing every word out of your mouth.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I wasn't intending this thread to be nit picking.
Just a bit of light hearted discussion to get the weekend off to a thoughtful start.

Yes I have heard many top mentalist use some of the lines mentioned up to now.
I think maybe it's the much repeated use of them that can be a little grating.

steve
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1237 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
It's not nit picking, what we say is as important as any aspect (maybe how we look is more important?)
this will improve people more than a thread complaining about a gimmick not being a gimmick or something

yes, standing up in front of people is a big step, but once you've done that you can still be improving, it's stuff like this that makes a difference in my view

I find it hard to script stuff until I've tried it out a few times to see what I naturally say, then I listen to what I've said and cry - next time it's better
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18496 Posts

Profile of IAIN
My accent is more london than essex, even though that's where I'm from...so I drop my g's, but I *think* my saving grace is that people sometimes comment that they think my voice is either 'lovely' if they're female, or a mate of mine reckons I have a somewhat commanding voice when I want to switch it on...so I get away with it...

it would come across as false for me to enunciate very clearly - so for me, its about coming to terms with how you speak, and being comfortable with it... with the exception of using slang, unless its for a certain type of audience...clarity of instruction is obviously very important, and it helps me bullet point those bits in any script I write, as it helps me make sure I don't miss out any vital steps...
DonEduardo
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of DonEduardo
No problem, I know it was meant as light humor, and I didn't mean to go all the way to the other side. I just don't want anyone to read this and this weekend when performing they start stuttering like an idiot because they are checking their grammar and pronunciation on everything. How do I know? Cause I do that all the time. It holds me back. I'm learning to just do it the best I can, right now. Later on I can evaluate and make improvements. But once the show starts, just roll with it.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-30 15:47, ELima wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 13:58, mastermindreader wrote:

"I asked you to stand up, not to attack me!" Smile

Yep- I've used that when an overly enthusiastic volunteer rushes the stage.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-30 15:48, Bill Cushman wrote:
I cringe when I hear generally well spoken performers mangle the English language and/or suddenly slip from casual but correct usage to droppin' ( : ) ) "gs" and similar less than professional sounding speech. I am not a card carrying member of the grammar police but I think certain basic standards are best maintained.

One of my favorite mentalists sounds great 98% of the time but seems to always do some version of the above, at least a couple of times during the performance segments on his DVDs. I know he has an excellent command of the language yet there some "verbal ticks" that inevitably occur.

My sense is that he is unaware when this happens and is not intentionally being "down to Earth." Not wanting to risk insulting him, I have thus far refrained from saying anything. What do people think? Would you want to have such things pointed out to you?

Don't know if you're referring to me, Dr.Bill, but I do that often and intentionally. The idea is that the sudden contrast gets a response.

Often, after doing a very serious, grammatically perfect, presentation and getting an amazed reaction, I'll go out of character and off handedly say something like. "I'll bet you thought this was all gonna be bull****"

That completely relieves the tension and prompts applause.

Good thoughts,

Bob
DonEduardo
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of DonEduardo
On Bill's question of pointing out verbal ticks. I'd say, yes, if done sparingly. I've had some pointed out to me in the past and I'm very grateful. It's tough to hear, like someone saying you have bad breath, but If the person really wants to improve, they want to know.
John Raff M
View Profile
Loyal user
Republic of Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of John Raff M
".................make your mind blank. Woah! That was quick!"

Not funny. Just rude. I know a lot of people use this line but it had to be said.
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of ventman
"Ummm"
"What we're going to do is..."
I especially dislike the phrase "Really?". This one really drives me nuts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phrases mentalists use that make you cringe (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL