The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phrases mentalists use that make you cringe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1325 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 06:53, Martin Pulman wrote:
Nothing wrong with Pete's accent- in fact I think it makes him stand out from the crowd and adds a further layer of authenticity.

As Edith Piaf said: Use your faults, use your defects, then you're going to be a star!

Not sure about using "Pow!" on a reveal, mind you. Those of us of a certain vintage may immediately think of Adam West's Batman. Not necessarily conducive to a serious tone. Smile


Thanks Martin Smile

The pow thing was put in originally as homage to a friend of mine that does it with a fist bump and then I got caught up in it!

haha

Pete x
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
"What I do is NLP/Body Language Reading/Etc."

Now, I don't mind those lines when they make sense. I use an NLP strategy for a thought of word revealation, but the process is there and the logic is there. What I can't stand is when you see someone who hands a deck of cards out, has someone select one, and then by looking at the way their eye twitches, how they are standing, and by apparently using NLP without actually using it they reveal the thought of card, and the name of the grandmother.

I am not really bothered by phrases and lines as much as I am by premises that aren't thought out or logical. I'd rather say nothing than to give a halfway thought through reason.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18594 Posts

Profile of IAIN
A mate of mine who is a good magician, whenever he does a sponge-balls routine, he always says "gimme a gangsta style fist bump", they do it, and he opens his hand and the sponges have changed or dissapeared or whatever he has planned in his devious little mind...
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18594 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 07:04, Chaz93 wrote:
"What I do is NLP/Body Language Reading/Etc."

Now, I don't mind those lines when they make sense. I use an NLP strategy for a thought of word revealation, but the process is there and the logic is there. What I can't stand is when you see someone who hands a deck of cards out, has someone select one, and then by looking at the way their eye twitches, how they are standing, and by apparently using NLP without actually using it they reveal the thought of card, and the name of the grandmother.

I am not really bothered by phrases and lines as much as I am by premises that aren't thought out or logical. I'd rather say nothing than to give a halfway thought through reason.


I hate it when people claim its done via NLP and do something in absolute silence, when the basis of it all is entirely based on interaction and language...
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 07:04, Chaz93 wrote:
"What I can't stand is when you see someone who hands a deck of cards out, has someone select one, and then by looking at the way their eye twitches, how they are standing, and by apparently using NLP without actually using it they reveal the thought of card, and the name of the grandmother.



:lol:
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 07:09, IAIN wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 07:04, Chaz93 wrote:
"What I do is NLP/Body Language Reading/Etc."

Now, I don't mind those lines when they make sense. I use an NLP strategy for a thought of word revealation, but the process is there and the logic is there. What I can't stand is when you see someone who hands a deck of cards out, has someone select one, and then by looking at the way their eye twitches, how they are standing, and by apparently using NLP without actually using it they reveal the thought of card, and the name of the grandmother.

I am not really bothered by phrases and lines as much as I am by premises that aren't thought out or logical. I'd rather say nothing than to give a halfway thought through reason.


I hate it when people claim its done via NLP and do something in absolute silence, when the basis of it all is entirely based on interaction and language...


Precisely. It's the new silent milton model though. Smile
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
You know what I hate? What I really can't abide? What gets right on my thrupenny bits?

When a mentalist says, "Think of someone from your childhood". You think of your friend Richard from Primary school (over 30 years ago),you write nothing down, you say nothing, you hold your mouth rigid so they can't do any of that fancy l***ing business, and STILL they say: "You're thinking of Richard aren't you."

D*** you Turner!!!!!!!!
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1212 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Quote:
Chaz93 wrote:

Now, I don't mind those lines when they make sense.
(...) I am not really bothered by phrases and lines as much as I am by premises that aren't thought out or logical. I'd rather say nothing than to give a halfway thought through reason.


I think you have it there: it depends on the context, on how those lines are used.
They're awfull when thy're just said automatically, without any real puprpose. But the can be acceptable, or even useful in other circumstances. For instance, if you say the next experiment is to be done "under test conditions", then it makes perfect sense to have everything scrutinized. One of my strongest routines (by the reaction it gets) is like that. I explain the "test conditions" and when I recap at the end, I can say there is no possible way I can know what she chose and who has it now, "it's impossible, [u]impossible![/u]", because then, the only possibility is for me to read minds.

Quote:
Chaz93 wrote: What I can't stand is when you see someone who hands a deck of cards out, has someone select one, and then by looking at the way their eye twitches, how they are standing, and by apparently using NLP without actually using it they reveal the thought of card, and the name of the grandmother.

I believe this effect is stronger when you don't say how you do (NLP, aura, whatever). I just do it, giving away some hints, but no explanation at all! Then, the people try to find out, make up their own mind and I believe it's more powerful: "he looked at my eyes, you looked at my exeys, didn't you?" or "no, I think he sensed my pulse when he was holding my hand... But how can that tell him the value of my card???", etc.

Generally speaking, I'd rather not give any explanation (NLP, telepathy, whatever). How can I do that? I'm not sure... I just can .
People find themselves the explanation that will amaze them the most Smile
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 07:48, LCervier wrote:

Generally speaking, I'd rather not give any explanation (NLP, telepathy, whatever). How can I do that? I'm not sure... I just can .
People find themselves the explanation that will amaze them the most Smile


That's the key right there. It's more fun for me to let the audience fill in the blanks as to the "hows". I'll drop some red herrings, sure, but I think it's disingenuous to claim to be using a system when I'm not. There's also less mystery when everything is explainable with hypnosis, nlp, etc etc. Like you, I prefer to let them fill in the blanks themselves.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2700 Posts

Profile of kinesis
My pet hate is when the performer gets someone on stage and the first thing he says is "Hi, what's your name?" The performer's supposed to be a mind reader for crying out loud Smile Talk about missed opportunity - Geez!!!









- I'm only joking Smile
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein






FACEBOOK
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
"Ok, now just give it (the business card they've just written a thought on) back to me, and I'll put it in here (wallet)."
Or
"Ok, now just slide it (the business card they've just written a thought on) in here (back into the stack of business cards it just came out of).
Or
"Ok, now let's just keep this between you and me" (said to alert any sentient spectators that, yes, they have indeed just witnessed the use of an i****** s*****!)
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6262 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 06:10, Peter_turner wrote:
I agree with both of you Smile

But I think context is also important for the "Now there is no way I could know what you are thinking" line.

It is frequently used in television mentalism to help paint a fair picture for the viewer at home. Often the reaction of the person when they say "no" is enough to convey fair play to the audience at home and help imply that this is someone who was randomly selected instead of someone who could have been researched OR someone the performer knows pieces of information about (I.E Knows them).

I use the word Pow to reveal things now, I hate that but cannot help it Smile

Pete x

Pete, you mean to say that after you reveal a correct prediction you say , "Pow"?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
When a performer exclaims "Awesome!" or "Fantastic!" when I participant does something mundane- like standing up or saying his/her name.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1651 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Crikey, guilty as charged on a few of these!
That said: although it shouldn't be the verbal tic it has become for some, the overt praising can be part of reassuring assistants on stage that they aren't screwing it up. I've asked people up to pick an envelope (or do whatever) on stage and the look in their eyes indicates that they aren't sure if they are doing ok, or if something else is required of them, or maybe I'm about to use some smug line on them. The helpers are in an environment that is completely out of their control and at any second something could happen that could humiliate them in front of their friends AND hundreds of strangers. I think some performers use that constant very positive language to carry their helpers along and make them feel that the stage is a safe environment and that they themselves aren't a threat.

Good job writing all those super comments though guys, AMAZING, you're doing great, you must have done this before! OK, let's give them a round of applause as they go and sit down.
;)

Phill
-+: https://www.mythologycodex.com :+-

A collection of incredible jaw-dropping mentalism, now available.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Just noticed that I complained about the same thing as Pete. Amazing!
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
When a Mentalist says..."Hello,I'm a Mentalist"


:)
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1325 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 07:37, Martin Pulman wrote:
You know what I hate? What I really can't abide? What gets right on my thrupenny bits?

When a mentalist says, "Think of someone from your childhood". You think of your friend Richard from Primary school (over 30 years ago),you write nothing down, you say nothing, you hold your mouth rigid so they can't do any of that fancy l***ing business, and STILL they say: "You're thinking of Richard aren't you."

D*** you Turner!!!!!!!!


Ha ha Smile

I was just feeling it!

Pete x
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
548 Posts

Profile of Alwow
I know this is essential the opposite of the purpose of the thread but, I'd love to hear alternatives to the stock lines quoted here.

My pet peeve however would also be the over justification of items. I honestly don't think I've ever attempted to justify anything. Never saw a reason to.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
842 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
I hate when Mentalists (or magicians for that matter) say, "Do me a favour..." followed by instructions to either select a card or write something down, etc..

That, and socks with sandals! Smile
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18594 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 12:36, Alwow wrote:
I know this is essential the opposite of the purpose of the thread but, I'd love to hear alternatives to the stock lines quoted here.

My pet peeve however would also be the over justification of items. I honestly don't think I've ever attempted to justify anything. Never saw a reason to.


yeah, but if you do that - you just create more stock lines don'tcha!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phrases mentalists use that make you cringe (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL