The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Small Banana as a substitue for Mulitplying Cigars (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

martysh
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville,SC
461 Posts

Profile of martysh
Want a great sleight-of-hand trick that you can improvise and play to younger kids? I went to the local craft store (Michael's here) and in the fake fruit section I found and bought for less than $2 a pair of small yellow bananas. About 4" or so, a bit curved but you can do all the cigar moves and not isolate the kids with cigars. The best is multiple reproduction i.e. Chanin now Carney.
Lots of fun easy and great reaction from the kids.

I am working on a new book. All new effects that cost only $2 and plays large. (check out ring box in card section).

Marty
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is great, but Dan Garrett beat you to the punch on this one -- 20 years ago.

I forget what he calls it, but it's still on the market.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
martysh
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville,SC
461 Posts

Profile of martysh
Dan is a good friend and a great guy.
Are you sure it isn't sponge made with him as I don't recall seeing it from him?

These are hard, but if Dan did offer it I yield to him and encourage anyone to try it as I have had great response.

Especially with all the renewed interest in cigar moves.

Marty
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There was a small harmonica sold YEARS ago, called a 'bananica'. Also Plantains=green bananans might be funny too. May as well go for Q-tips, and a comb while digging for stuff. Don't for get the lipsitck that got in there somehow too. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Dan's were made of sponge. It made them much easier to handle than cigars, of course.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
martysh
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville,SC
461 Posts

Profile of martysh
Thanks for the clarification...
my point here is that these props can be easily and cheaply obtained anywhere...the trick with a little bit of practice is so much fun to do ...my fellow magicians should give it a try.. even if they don't perform much for children..

marty
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
Michaels, Hobby Lobby and other craft stores (in the USA) are great spots for magic props.

Dan G. also put out some pickle sponge products.(if my nearly normal memory is working)

I remember the effect being put out with small hot-dogs when I was starting out in the 70's.

The idea was taking one out of the hand putting it in your pocket and still having one in the hand.

Thanks for the reminder.

I am looking for new (old) stuff to put back for repeat 2004 venue shows.

Happy HOYC.

On a nearly normal note, I have a banana that was left on the top of my fridge way too long. It is about 4 to 5 inches black and very hard. It would be great to have another, but this was created accidently prior to getting married to my nearly normal wife Annie. (I don't think she would like a rotting banana in the house)

I use it more of a sight gag these days.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
Try using golf pencils as a sub for cigars. That's what one of my magician friends suggested to me when I mentioned I wanna take some of Bill Tarr's teachings in NYSINYD for a test drive.

:)
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Speaking of Banana's, does anyone know of a source for zipper banana's? I know it was popular years ago, but havn't found any in my recent searches.

Any help would be great.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5322 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There is a Zipper Banana listed at:
http://www.clownantics.com/sillystuff.shtml
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Thanks again Harry! You help'd me save allot of time not re-working an effect.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
cat26
View Profile
New user
Manitoba, Canada
99 Posts

Profile of cat26
Sponge bananas are great with the Vanishing Coke Bottle (Nielsen) using a paper bag. I've used this combination for years with children and it leaves them wondering. cheers. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Small Banana as a substitue for Mulitplying Cigars (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL