The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Can you? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Instant means instant SlEEP! Are you still awake Ant?

If the answer for "most" of the definition is yes then it isn't instant. Instant means instant.We can all play with the definition to say yes. Some definitions say we are always hypnotized anyway. But I assume the poster is meaning someone who is hypnotized and displaying deep hypnotic phenomena.

There are also claims of hypnosis without induction yet when I see it demo'd there IS an induction. There are claims that you don't need to condition someone and "instant" amnesia is possible. yet when I see the so called demos on video its neither instant nor is it genuine long term amnesia its more like confusion.

The answer can be anything you like if you are willing play around with definitions. However the demos and examples put forward from those are VERY telling.

Ive yet to see anything convincing on video or live. Of course if anyone does have an example let us take a look. you have loads of video online as jon Chase has yet I ve never seen anything that comes close.

Instant hypnosis is always set up and its not a very deep hypnosis. Now before we get into argument about whether there is no depth or there is I am talking about someone hypnotized to the degree where they carry out waking hypnosis suggestions and may experience amnesia REAL amnisia after termination.

Even a good somnambulist needs a series of steps to get them to a place of full wakened hypnosis. Those series of steps no matter how big or small are inductions no matter what they are. The last time this came up a few years ago there NO examples put forward to say other wise. I doubt anything will change.

Instant hypnosis is "generally" a theatrical set up to make it appear as if hypnosis is instant. However Ive never seen a hypnosis show or demo that didn't use an induction or conditioning to demonstrate the deeper phenomena. (and there's no pint arguing over the semantics of the word deeper)
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I have read a lot of things about Erickson yet most of the surviving video footage of him working shows a very slow painful process.I haven't seen any that could be described as instant. Whenever /I've seen "demos" of this it has been during trainings. That doesn't count because those in the demo have been primed by being there in the first place. And have either already been hypnotized or have seen a number of people being hypnotized. Even then its not totally "instant" there are a couple of steps (induction)

While I am not discounting it totally I have just never seen it or experienced it. I don't believe everything I read or every claim made by others.
thementalcoach
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
63 Posts

Profile of thementalcoach
Interesting discussion.

If someone has seen instant inductions (in person or on YouTube) and believes you are a hypnotist, will an instant induction (with or without in intro) work with them, if they want it to? Maybe yes, maybe no, since humans tend to be complicated...

But if I'm out and about and someone wants to know if I can hypnotize them, one of the things I do (depending on the person) is ask if they'd like to be hypnotized to discover how powerful their mind really is and feel amazing. Then I ask them to look between my eyes, give them a bit of a surprise, say the word SLEEP *then start deepening.* Usually in around a minute or two, they have enough depth for muscle catalepsy, analgesia, sometimes anesthesia and amnesia. In my hypnosis meetup group, I always offer demos and they do seem to work better if the volunteer has seen instant inductions work with other people.
David Kenward - The Mental Coach
Overcome what is holding you back: anger, fear, pain, guilt. Fast results, guaranteed, even if choking or in a slump.
Performing, competing, health/healing and more.
Interests - Magic, Mentalism, Hypnosis and the Bizarre
Sacramento, California
http://thementalcoach.com
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
The very act of being at a group has set up expectation so therefore can't be described as instant. The real induction started when they accepted your invitation after reading your marketing or description of the evening. Or at least the process had began. A training or learning or group environment generally is a context where participants are more open to hypnosis and being hypnotized and respond to those expectations.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Interestingly discussion? Seriously? It is nothing more than a lack of knowledge, word parsing and trying to stretch definitions to suit ones own agenda. (NOT you Mindpunisher.)

Here is a hint for you. When you have to parse words and stretch definitions the answer to your question is no. It is that simple.

Significantly more than 5%? Give me a number. Not an abstract and some word parsing but a number. What percentage?

By the way if you have to do deepening IT IS NOT INSTANT!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Yes, I can. Smile

Quote:
On 2013-08-31 12:47, TripleM wrote:
Can you hypnotise someone who you have never met instantly?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2013-12-15 05:10, quicknotist wrote:
Yes, I can. Smile

Quote:

You have whole courses online show us one or two examples then we can see clearly what you define as "instant" hypnosis.And you will have achieved something that I haven't seen in over 30 years doing hypnosis.

Most of the "new wave stuff" Ive seen are poor examples of hypnosis in general. But I have high hopes of yours Reg. But I doubt we will see anything revolutionary.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Instant hypnosis is about as likely as instant depression. Both take a series of steps or events to happen or exist because they are both processes not static "things".
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
212 Posts

Profile of JonChase
In my experience yes, but why not increase the hit rate by telling them you are a hypnotist? For me beats the hell out of not doing it.
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
212 Posts

Profile of JonChase
I do wish there were a like button.

Quote:
here were a like button.
Yes, I can. Smile

Quote:

Smiles

Jon Chase

JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
212 Posts

Profile of JonChase
In my experience yes, but why not increase the hit rate by telling them you are a hypnotist? For me beats the hell out of not doing it.
Smiles

Jon Chase

quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
I don't need your validation, or anyone else's.
Thanks.

Quote:
On 2013-12-15 08:37, mindpunisher wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I can. Smile

Quote:

You have whole courses online show us one or two examples then we can see clearly what you define as "instant" hypnosis.And you will have achieved something that I haven't seen in over 30 years doing hypnosis.

Most of the "new wave stuff" Ive seen are poor examples of hypnosis in general. But I have high hopes of yours Reg. But I doubt we will see anything revolutionary.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I see so you can't back up your claim...that doesn't surprise me. And I guess your definition wouldn't stand up to being validated anyway. Anyone show any examples? Doesn't even have to be your own....

I think its going to be a long wait... Seeing an example of "instant hypnosis" surely isn't going to be an instant experience. I remember asking for examples five years ago still not a single one.

:)

And I can levitate for real! Im just not going to validate it here.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea I remember the same thing.

"Can" it be done? Yep about 5% of the time. The rest is posturing, and word parsing and definition bending.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I don't see any value of "instant" hypnosis anyway. You can't DO anything worthwhile with "instant hypnosis" even if it is possible 5% of the time. But even then you need conditioning to actually do anything worthwhile with it. I don't think of someone slouched over with their eyes closed as being deeply hypnotized they have one foot on the hypnotic ladder.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I don't see what the problem is. If someone wants to do instant inductions, great! If they don't, great!

But as I continually tell people seeking to learn hypnosis, inductions are easy! The challenge (shh! don't tell anyone) isn't getting someone into hypnosis, the REAL challenge is what you do with a person AFTER they've been hypnotized.

If you use the technique to help someone via suggestion (i.e., hypnotherapy), then knowing the suggestions to give the person as well as how to give them is important.
If you use the technique to entertain, then having ideas for skits and how to present them to give the audience a good time without humiliating or embarrassing the person is important.

If you just use the technique to shout, "Look! I can do something you can't," it's nothing more than a desperate reflection on your personal insecurity and need to exert your egotism.

Do what you want. However, don't think you're an entertainer just because you're an egomaniac; don't think you're a hypnotherapist because you can "suggest" "smoking will make you feel ill."
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I'm always aware that there are 'certain people' watching/reading who I am not happy with being here.
But since certain people have already said so then yes; the cat is out of the bag.
I do it every day and it's remarkably easy. Having said that I AM remarkably good at it.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I hypnotised my first person in 1973. Her name was Elizabeth and she was the duty manager at The Queens Hotel, Aberdeen.
I was the lead singer in a band called 'Cockney Haggis' and the drummer told her as we walked through the door that I was a hypnotist. She looked at me and I told her to sleep.
Donald Michael Kraig is correct. She went int hypnosis immediately. And then I truly panicked because I had no idea what to do.
But it's nice to know that 40 years later that happening gets to answer this question.
Although to be fair there was indeed, arguably, some form of a 'set-up', as a statement was made: "HE is a HYPNOTIST."
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
It really depends upon definition. When I first learned stage hypnosis my mentor taught me all kinds of "rapid inductions" But he always told they opened the door to the unconscious and that those people weren't deeply hypnotized. They had a foot on the hypnotic ladder. Being fully hypnotized was the point of no return where you get to that place where you have full control over that person and they act and respond to just about every suggestion you give them. And that was and still is achieved by conditioning a hypnotee through the light stages until they get to that point of no return.

that's the definition that introduced me to hypnosis that's the one I go by. Someone slouched over or lying on the floor with their eyes closed isn't deeply hypnotized. And while some people may crumble into a heap they aren't hypnotized.

When people ask the question can someone be hypnotized instantly I think they mean to the "point of no return".

that's the definition I go by. But you can have a y definition you want after all its xmas.

The last time this topic came up there were a couple of claims that you don't need conditioning to take someone to the "place of no return" And where real amnesia is experienced after hypnosis terminated.

I don't believe that its the case but always open to learn something just haven't seen with any examples put forward.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Some people may think this can only be done 5% of the time. These may be the people that only use 5% of the brain.

In my experience, this can be done 100% of the time.

Regards,
Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Can you? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL