The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Can you? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
TripleM
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TripleM
Can you hypnotise someone who you have never met instantly? or does there have to be pre set-up ?
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
915 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
You can do it instantly but you shouldn't
Also, it helps a whole lot if you say you're a hypnotist first
Reader discretion is advised.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19872 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not likely you can't. This is not the Jedi Mind Trick.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
915 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Well not like you just walk up to somebody and say sleep, but if you explain that you are a hypnotist and do an instant induction than the more suggestible people will be hypnotised.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19872 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes about 5% of people.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
915 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Worked 1 out of 2 times when I tried it so only thing I can say is that it's possible and definitly no one should try it.
TripleM
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TripleM
Quote:
On 2013-08-31 14:21, stubbs360 wrote:
You can do it instantly but you shouldn't
Also, it helps a whole lot if you say you're a hypnotist first

oh really? it can be done! that's amazing, and haha yeah I wont go pulling it on anyone...unless they increasingly ikr me. Smile
TripleM
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TripleM
Quote:
On 2013-08-31 17:21, stubbs360 wrote:
Worked 1 out of 2 times when I tried it so only thing I can say is that it's possible and definitly no one should try it.

you tried it ! ehaha that takes some courage, what was the person you did it too like?
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9682 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
It doesn't sound like you have much knowledge of what hypnosis is or it's application?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19872 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-08-31 17:21, stubbs360 wrote:

Large enough sample size to make sweeping generalizations I guess.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
123crampt
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of 123crampt
Are you a radio show from melbourne?
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
This is actually a couple of questions.
General: Is it possible to instantly hypnotize a person you've just met without pre-induction work?
Answer: It depends upon the person and the situation.
Specific: Is it possible for "you" (i.e., a specific hypnotist) to hypnotize a person he/she's just met without pre-induction work?
Answer: It depends upon the skill of the hypnotist and the person he/she's thinking of hypnotizing, as well as the situation.
TripleM
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TripleM
Quote:
On 2013-08-31 20:27, Mindpro wrote:
It doesn't sound like you have much knowledge of what hypnosis is or it's application?

..goodlord.
TripleM
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TripleM
Quote:
On 2013-08-31 22:18, 123crampt wrote:
Are you a radio show from melbourne?

why not! sure, yes I am.
TripleM
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TripleM
Quote:
On 2013-09-01 12:28, dmkraig wrote:
This is actually a couple of questions.
General: Is it possible to instantly hypnotize a person you've just met without pre-induction work?
Answer: It depends upon the person and the situation.
Specific: Is it possible for "you" (i.e., a specific hypnotist) to hypnotize a person he/she's just met without pre-induction work?
Answer: It depends upon the skill of the hypnotist and the person he/she's thinking of hypnotizing, as well as the situation.

thank you very much that was insightful Smile
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Lets put this one to bed;
The answer is yes but I think Danny is spot on with 5%.
Indeed for me that is the proper percantile for pure somnamblulists' but such a command with no introduction AT ALL I would expect to be much less.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Chris Ream
View Profile
New user
Denver
6 Posts

Profile of Chris Ream
In my experience; the answer is yes! And, significantly more often than 5% but there's a caveat...

While I wouldn't call what I do an "Instant Induction" it certainly is a "Rapid" induction (Under a minute). Instead of doing a pretalk and explaining that I'm a "Hypnotist" I use a verbal-confusion technique that is similar to a pattern-interrupt (i.e handshake induction).

This isn't going to read nearly as well as it sounds but it works extremely well.

Setup - Any time someone asks the question "How are you?" in a casual automatic-greeting way. This automatic-greeting is the "pattern" I'm interrupting.

Patter - "I'm fine... how are you?" (said with mild intensity to grab their attention). They will usually reply "fine" or something similar.

Then increase the intensity slightly and say "No... How are you... only here... anytime but now... in every way that can allow you to... relax... even more deeply than you ever have before...now. That's right... and how are you not... everywhere but here... at this very moment... in every other way.... that's not completely relaxed... even more?"

Reading through this patter, I realize just how "cheesy" it may sound to some of you. However, bare in mind that the above is said with a genuine sincerity (congruence), and the timing is critical.

What you're looking for in the timing, is the moment when they're just about to form the thought to answer you. For instance; when you say "No... How are you..." there will be a moment when they think 'Oh! he want's a genuine answer', and they start to formulate their response.

Just before they complete the thought carry on with "only here..." which causes them to "go inside" for more information and an appropriate response. Continue this sequence of timing with each phrase just as they're about to respond. This timing pattern of letting them almost-respond eventually causes an overload in the Critical Factor and the only phrases that actually have some actionable-value to their unconscious mind are the commands to "relax". What's extraordinary about this is that you visibly see them relax about a half-second after you say it. It's great feedback that they're going-in.

Some of you won't believe it until you see it; which is perfectly understandable. I'll post a video for an actual demonstration. For me, it works exceptionally well as an unconventional rapid induction. Of course, I continue suggestions to deepen and test. This is just how I intro into an induction. It's about as close to a "Jedi mind trick" as you can get.

Granted; it doesn't work on everyone. But, it does work on a surprising number of people!

-Chris.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
No one can be hypnotized "instantly" I don't think. It can be made look instant but all hypnosis is part of a multi-step process. Some of those may not be recognized as hypnosis but are still part pf the process.

There really is no such thing as instant hypnosis. Its an ongoing process not a thing. A hypnotist hijacks the natural "movements" and process of the mind and leads them in a desired direction or focus.
Chris Ream
View Profile
New user
Denver
6 Posts

Profile of Chris Ream
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 10:06, mindpunisher wrote:
No one can be hypnotized "instantly" I don't think. It can be made look instant but all hypnosis is part of a multi-step process. Some of those may not be recognized as hypnosis but are still part pf the process.

There really is no such thing as instant hypnosis. Its an ongoing process not a thing. A hypnotist hijacks the natural "movements" and process of the mind and leads them in a desired direction or focus.

I think one of the aspects that makes this discussion a little tricky is that 'hypnosis' is a subjective term. It's difficult to say whether hypnosis can be done 'instantly' without an agreed-upon definition of hypnosis.

For instance; the state of shock people often experience after a traumatic incident, like a car crash, or an explosion - could be called an "instant induction" as the mind searches for the appropriate response to the unique experience. I believe when the mind is presented with something it's never experienced before, it tends to go 'inside' to attempt to find some resource or frame of reference for how to react. Personally, I call this process of going inside - Trance.

One thing I've noticed when doing "instant" inductions is what I can best describe as the Bounce Effect. When using a shock induction, it's quite common for a person to 'drop' into a trance, lasting for less than a second, then 'bounce' back out with a slight look of alert-confusion, and then... go deeper... This is one of the reasons why deepeners are so important, especially when using a shock-induction. Without a deepener, nearly every subject will regain 'normalcy' within a second or two.

This still begs the question - Is the moment of shock an "Instant Induction"? I personally think so, but I also think that fragile moment must be properly handled or it will slip away quickly.

Regardless; since the definition of hypnosis is mercurial at best, it's not a question that's easily answered.

-Chris.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Good question Triple M.

Three of the most experienced voices on here, MindPro, Danny Doyle and Mindpunisher, with somewhere close to a century of experience between them, say 'No'.

I think that is quite telling.

You suggested it is not a question we can easily answer because of the mercurial definitions of hypnosis. Certainly there is a lack of consensus over how it works but fortunately less over how it is defined as product rather than process. The classic suggestion effect is something you should consider whether you adopt a state, social or cognitive definition.

So my suggestion would be whatever your personal definition of hypnosis is, assuming you have settled on one that you prefer, ask the question with relation to that. Can it be done?

For example many adopt Elman's definition of hypnosis. Can you bypass the critical faculty and establish selective thinking in an instant?

I would say yes.

Take Braid's, Erickson's, Chase's.

Ask the question.

The answer for most of the definitions is yes.
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Can you? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL