The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Syria: how will the vote go? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..23~24~25 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
As usual, Palin just ignores reality and blathers on. There is nothing "interesting" at all about her nonsense.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Which part(s) of her statement do you disagree with?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

The last line, for example- the reason why the chemical weapons wouldn't be directly targeted is because blowing them up wouldn't exactly be a smart thing to do, given how that would probably cause an untold number of deaths.

When she states that taking them out would require "more of a commitment" she's advocating something that no one wants- troops on the ground in Syria. I've got no doubt that her "solution" would be a full scale invasion.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It's not at all clear to me that she's advocating troops on the ground. It seems correct that taking out the chemical weapons would require more of a commitment than is being discussed (at any rate, a claim not that she's making, but that the White House made, but isn't it true? Or is the idea that an air strike would destroy the chemical weapons?). At any rate, what she's advocating is no half-measures. IF the chemical weapons aren't to be taken out (regardless of whether or not she thinks they should be), then we shouldn't take any military action. A position that our British cousins, at any rate, seem to agree with. In fact, apparently the position that the rest of the world seems to a gree with. Apparently Palin is more in tune with international sentiment than the great consensus-builder.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
As for the position of our American colleagues and friends who claim that government forces have used weapons of mass destruction, in this case chemical weapons, and that they have evidence thereof: let them present it to UN inspectors and the Security Council. Claims that proof exists, but that it is classified and cannot be shown to anyone are beneath criticism.

There is nothing wrong with our American cousins doing exactly that in this situation. Our Russian and or our China cousins will likely veto any millitary action regardless of what the evidence is. However if our American cousins do have a very strong case, it would be the smart thing to do even so. Why? Why because it would make our Russian and or our China cousins look bad if they veto it in the face of such evidece and make the USA look good. It would save the USA a billion dollars a month which they could spend on Detroit instead of war. That is the best way to do nothing perhaps.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I have to admit that my sheer disdain for Palin completely blocks my ability to seriously consider anything she has to say, whether it accidentally makes sense or not. Kind of like those who's knee jerk reaction to anything the President says is to attack it. (Not referring to you.) So I will plead mea culpa to that.

That said, I think the last time she was in tune with anything is when she played the flute at the Miss Wasilla beauty pageant. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Kinda hard to play the non partisan card isn't it Bob?

I am not a fan of Palin but disdain? What had she ever done to earn that? She never enacted a single policy that can affect you. The only thing it could be is her conservative viewpoint.

The president and his policy decisions hurt us every day. Costs us real money. Palin had done no such thing and had the power to do so. The comparison is false.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I fail to see how or which of Obama's policy positions hurt us every day. Although those who would shut down the government and destroy the country's credit rating for purely partisan reasons certainly have no trepidation about hurting people on a daily basis. After all, how is it anything BUT partisan to declare that your primary purpose was to insure a one-term presidency for our first black president? (And to make that decision on his first inauguration day.)

What has Palin ever done to deserve disdain? Maybe not knowing what newspapers she reads or having no clue about the duties of the office she was running for.

The fact that she actually was in a position to be one heartbeat away from the presidency still makes me cringe. So, you're right, maybe "disdain" wasn't a strong enough word.

But you've got to admit that you're at least as partisan as I am, or we wouldn't be having this discussion. So I don't think you're in a position to play the non-partisan card either.

But I would agree that Palin was probably a pretty good basketball player.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 11:36, mastermindreader wrote:
I have to admit that my sheer disdain for Palin completely blocks my ability to seriously consider anything she has to say, whether it accidentally makes sense or not. Kind of like those who's knee jerk reaction to anything the President says is to attack it. (Not referring to you.) So I will plead mea culpa to that.

That said, I think the last time she was in tune with anything is when she played the flute at the Miss Wasilla beauty pageant. Smile

Yeah, I don't much care for her either. I have her listed as the opposite of President Obama in my comedy piece for my chart of people and their opposites.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
All due respect, just about anybody would be a better commander-in-chief than the one we got.

Well not Biden for sure. Maybe Chuck Norris, or Client Eastwood would do a better job.
Dennis Michael
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-02 12:22, Dennis Michael wrote:
All due respect, just about anybody would be a better commander-in-chief than the one we got.

Well not Biden for sure. Maybe Chuck Norris, or Client Eastwood would do a better job.

I don't like Sarah Palin at all. As the Bush family told her: "Stay up there in Alaska!" I thought Reagan and Bush Senior were great Commander in Chiefs. Clinton could have done a better job as CiC but he was not as indecisive as Obama. Bush Jr. was decisive but made the wrong decision with deciding to invade Iraq under the false pretext of WMD (though I am glad to see Saddam gone), at least Bush Jr. made a decision and took action even though he basically lied us into a war in Iraq. I think the Army War College was also spot on in calling the invasion of Iraq a strategic error, but thankfully, General Petraus (yes, I don't much care for officers and most Generals, but Paetraus did do a good job in Iraq, I also liked Stormin Normin Schwarzkopf who fought in the Vietnam War and did an excellent job of commanding Desert Storm) Hopefully, none of our troops end up on the ground in Syria given the volatile nature of the Middle East and the fact that Syria has chemical weapons. It would get out of control pretty quickly if our troops ended up on the ground in Syria and the regime decided to use those weapons on our troops.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-02 12:22, Dennis Michael wrote:

Yeah- Eastwood did a great job at the convention. I think he was a DNC plant.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

But I would say Stormin Normin was probably one of the better Generals because he had some hard combat experience in Vietnam and that experience made him a better General. He's also a fan of Sun Tzu from what I read and used what he learned from Sun Tzu's book in developing his strategy to oust Saddam from Kuwait. That particular book served me quite well while I was serving in the Army National Guard deployed overseas and it serves me well today just in life in general. It's a great life teaching book once you begin to fully understand and appreciate it.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

But back on topic- The Syrian Electronic Army has just claimed credit for hacking the US Marine Corps website as well as the New York Times, et al.

So here's a serious question- If the Syrians attack or succeed in penetrating sensitive US government or military sites, could that be interpreted as an "imminent threat?"

What is the appropriate and Constitutional response to a cyber attack on our country? Just another example of things the framers of the Constitution never conceived of or addressed.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
We don't need no stinkin' Congress:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree......rization
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Landmark, as much as I (strongly) disagree with most of your positions on issues, I have to say that I find you much more principled in your positions than most. I've gotta respect you for that.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 12:03, mastermindreader wrote:
I fail to see how or which of Obama's policy positions hurt us every day. Although those who would shut down the government and destroy the country's credit rating for purely partisan reasons certainly have no trepidation about hurting people on a daily basis. After all, how is it anything BUT partisan to declare that your primary purpose was to insure a one-term presidency for our first black president? (And to make that decision on his first inauguration day.)

What has Palin ever done to deserve disdain? Maybe not knowing what newspapers she reads or having no clue about the duties of the office she was running for.

The fact that she actually was in a position to be one heartbeat away from the presidency still makes me cringe. So, you're right, maybe "disdain" wasn't a strong enough word.

But you've got to admit that you're at least as partisan as I am, or we wouldn't be having this discussion. So I don't think you're in a position to play the non-partisan card either.

But I would agree that Palin was probably a pretty good basketball player.

Health care premiums have skyrocketed because of him specifically. Taxes have gone up median famy income is down unemployment is a joke and on and on. You refuse to see it because of your partisan blinders.

And no I am jot as partisan as you because I saw the Bush administrationS for what they were and spoke regularly when it was wrong. You have done it once. The other times no matter how bad it is excuses.

Plus again yiu just did it. Attack me rather than address the point. That is allowed unless someone else does it. Weather is not climate....unless it proves your point then it is. Your mental gymnastics are fun to watch. If a republican administration had this record you would never stop screaming how bad it is. Democratic party it is just the new normal.

Sad really. You are ideologically blinded. Go ahead and make the excuses and say oh you are just as bad and go throughthe regular process. It doesn't make it less true.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

It's okay, Danny. I don't mind you attacking me.

I still like you.

You did conveniently forget to mention, though, that the state exchanges that will bring down health care costs under the ACA aren't even scheduled to start until next year. And that some insurance companies are seeking to cash in in the interim is hardly surprising.

But what do you think of the question I posed earlier that no one has responded to:

If the Syrians attack or succeed in penetrating sensitive US government or military sites, could that be interpreted as an "imminent threat?"

What is the appropriate and Constitutional response to a cyber attack on our country? Just another example of things the framers of the Constitution never conceived of or addressed.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Unlime everyone else in the world I have ZERO answers to any problems in the world and specifically the Middle East. Good way to illustrate how bad it can be to follow an ideology so blindly.

I am not sure anyone has the answers to what those problems are. It is not something I have a cultural frame of reference for so I won't speak of it. I don't know enough. Problem is I don't think the people in charge do either and they don't know enough to know they don't know.

I am just not smart enough to have all the answers.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Earlier you asked about the interpretation of the Constitution by the SCOTUS. I replied that many of the changes brought by modern technology and society were unforeseen by the founders and that the general principles of the Constitution had to constantly be interpreted according to the realities of the present.

Cyber-warfare poses a perfect example. When the War Powers Resolution of 1973 was passed, the notion of a full scale cyber attack was still largely within the realm of predictive science fiction. That's no longer the case.

What if, for example, a foreign entity launched a cyber attack that disabled our national power grid and crippled our computer networks. Even though no shots were fired or missiles launched, would that constitute an imminent threat to the United States that would warrant a conventional military response without Congressional authorization pursuant to the War Powers Resolution?

I think it would.

And I don't think my opinion here is partisan at all, because there are those all across the political spectrum who would either agree or disagree with me regardless of their party affiliation.

Just as we are seeing in Congress regarding the Syrian situation. For the most part, it doesn't seem that the debate positions will follow conventional party lines.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Syria: how will the vote go? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL