The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's the "going rate"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I was mildly surprised to hear from more than one client that the "going rate" for a kids' party entertainer in London is currently £500. Although my rates are slightly higher than that for London gigs, I have to travel at least an hour each way, sometimes up to four hours - each way - depending on the destination, and traffic.

Meanwhile in my own area, the "going rate" is about half that, but thankfully we don't have traffic jams on the South Coast. So a good saving on time, stress and fuel!

I feel lucky to be able to dip up to the Big Smoke when I want to, and earn Smokin' money.

So, what's the "going rate" for the family performers in your area?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Doug baby
Welcome back my friend. Everyone has missed you. How the heck have you been.

My firm policy is get as much as I can.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I hear from contacts that the going rate in Dublin is €250, yet guys are constantly advertising €99. So I treat the notion of a going rate with a grain of salt.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Potty,

Like Al said, WELCOME BACK. We really missed you around here.

Birthday party rates can really vary from region to region. Years back, before the big recession hit, I heard that a survey was done at Kidabra and the average rate was about $250. Of course, some were doing better than that while others were still at the lower end of that spectrum.

Birthday party rates here in the States currently hover between $150-$400. Again, it depends on your region.

I am hearing that the UK is still suffering from the recession and that birthday parties aren't anywhere as plentiful as they used to be. Some of the guys I know are top-flight children's entertainers and they're saying they're not working nearly as much as they did a few years ago. However, that's an entirely different story.

Gerry
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2013-09-01 15:08, Potty the Pirate wrote:
I was mildly surprised to hear from more than one client that the "going rate" for a kids' party entertainer in London is currently £500. Although my rates are slightly higher than that for London gigs, I have to travel at least an hour each way, sometimes up to four hours - each way - depending on the destination, and traffic.

Meanwhile in my own area, the "going rate" is about half that, but thankfully we don't have traffic jams on the South Coast. So a good saving on time, stress and fuel!

I feel lucky to be able to dip up to the Big Smoke when I want to, and earn Smokin' money.

So, what's the "going rate" for the family performers in your area?

Good heavens Doug................there has certainly been some inflation over there since I lived in London!!! I seemed to remember that when I left in 1992, I was getting 85 pounds for my entertainers for a 2 and a half hour party in London, less 15% to Jolly Roger Entertainments. Dawn Judd took over my agency as some of you know, so it would be interesting to see what she gets these days for her stable!!! http://www.dawnjuddentertainments.co.uk/page12.html

JR
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I've just looked at the above link, and I see she get 150 pounds for a two hour party. JR
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
In Oklahoma City, I can get $150 to $250, depending on the package they request and the size of audience (birthday parties, private, in-home). That's for a 30-40 minute magic show. Rates are also adjusted if the party is at a commercial site. I've been told that some in the area are asking $250, so that they can settle for $150 or $200. I don't play that game. My rates are firm.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-09-01 15:20, Al Angello wrote:
Doug baby
Welcome back my friend.

Get your hands off him Al. He is my friend. Smile
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Around here some guys are getting $200, and some guys ask $350 for an at home party. I like to get $1,000. but I never do.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

I'm flabbergasted at those rates from your old agency, Roger. That's about as cheap as the lowest rates in my local area, not including the really silly prices (one chap still offers a one-hour show for £40).

I haven't noticed a significant drop in bookings due to the recession - but overall, enquiries have fallen off somewhat.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Potty,

I'm with you on that comment about the 150 pounds, which equates to $232 for a two hour party. No wonder American magicians don't want to add party games to their birthday party packages.

JR, this is NO reflection on you because you sold your company years ago.

That said, I do think it proves the point that UK entertainers are feeling the effects of this long recession just like here in the US.

Gerry
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Yes indeed it does seem very low, and Dawn will be taking her commission off these prices. I sold my agency in 1992 as an outright cash deal, and actually have not spoken to Dawn since that date so the agency has indeed been entirely under her management. I know that one or two of the entertainers I used to book have sadly left us, and I haven't got a clue who she is booking these days. You should give her a call Doug, mention my name, tell her your London rate, and see if she can get you any shows!! JR
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

JR, my suspicion is that the client base will expect uber-cheap turns, with no regard to the act at all. Seems like a baby-sitting service at those prices.

On the other hand, I could probably put many shows her way every week ....

It does seem that there are very, very few good kids' entertainers in the Greater London area. I have never heard ANYONE recommended, but many folks have complained about desperately bad performers they've seen.

I think this is why folks are saying the "going rate" is £500.....pay less than that for your kids' party entertainer, and you'll get a "Mr Marvellous" random old bloke with a bad attitude, and no knowledge of entertaining. Or, an inexperienced teenager with a drug problem.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
From what I have heard, the going rate in London is nowhere near £500.

And going cheaper than that does not necessarily get you old blokes with bad attitudes or teens with drug problems. That is a nasty characterization of your competition.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
If you wish to know the 'going rate' in the UK simply attend the Blackpool Convention and quietly listen. You'll soon get the picture.

The going rate is around £500 for an hour and everyone is working flat out, several shows a day, everyday of the week and they are all desperate to lay off work they cannot cope with.

Now for American readers allow me to translate.

The going rate is anything from £50 to £80 an hour, maybe £100 for two hours. Weekends only. There is no midweek work at all outside of term/half term holidays as most parents both work all day. So there's no one at home to make a party happen except in poor districts where parents are frequently unemployed and on state benefits. Not much profit in those areas.

There are vast numbers of children's entertainers offering themselves and there are frankly hardly any working professionally. They couldn't make a living. So they are all working part time with a day job. And because there's no mid week work they are not losing out.

Very few families survive with mother at home with the children - they need the money.

And in the richer areas you find that families have few if any relatives living within 100 miles so there is no one around to help in that sense. Why?

Because future professionals meet at university normally a very long way from their homes and when they marry they end up in yet another area of the country also a long way from their families. It's a major weekend away for grandparents to travel for the child's first birthdays and often the novelty wears off by the time the child has attained five years.

Different in poor areas where people go to school and then either local work or unemployment. They marry locally, live locally and have families around them but often little money for parties.

I daresay America is similar.

And generally parties are in short supply even at weekends. Sundays are prime, Saturdays are thin.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 18:09, Tony James wrote:
If you wish to know the 'going rate' in the UK simply attend the Blackpool Convention and quietly listen. You'll soon get the picture.

The going rate is around £500 for an hour and everyone is working flat out, several shows a day, everyday of the week and they are all desperate to lay off work they cannot cope with.

Now for American readers allow me to translate.

The going rate is anything from £50 to £80 an hour, maybe £100 for two hours. Weekends only. There is no midweek work at all outside of term/half term holidays as most parents both work all day. So there's no one at home to make a party happen except in poor districts where parents are frequently unemployed and on state benefits. Not much profit in those areas.

There are vast numbers of children's entertainers offering themselves and there are frankly hardly any working professionally. They couldn't make a living. So they are all working part time with a day job. And because there's no mid week work they are not losing out.

Very few families survive with mother at home with the children - they need the money.

And in the richer areas you find that families have few if any relatives living within 100 miles so there is no one around to help in that sense. Why?

Because future professionals meet at university normally a very long way from their homes and when they marry they end up in yet another area of the country also a long way from their families. It's a major weekend away for grandparents to travel for the child's first birthdays and often the novelty wears off by the time the child has attained five years.

Different in poor areas where people go to school and then either local work or unemployment. They marry locally, live locally and have families around them but often little money for parties.

I daresay America is similar.

And generally parties are in short supply even at weekends. Sundays are prime, Saturdays are thin.
Now THAT'S an honest post! Smile Thanks, Tony.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Hi,
Tonys post made me laugh . The actual position is probably somewhere in between , I live in a rural area in Wales I have been full time pro for 25 years plus . I have 5 children and a stay at home wife . Magic suports us nicely . I am not loaded and have never got £500 for a kid show ! In my area competition pops up the latest couple of entertainers charging
£95 for an hour
£150 for 2 hours

Balloons at £95 first hour £40 hour after that

Sadly people do use them and I do lose some to them .
Thankfully they mostly come to me next time after seeing their shows.
My fees are expensive in comparision but not double or anything like that.

In my experience the average kids show outside of London in most areas is
About

£120 for an hour
£200 for a full party 2 hour

As I say that's an average
There is still midweek work about but not in abundance .
I do adult cabaret and close up and live in a holiday area so I have hotels that I work regularly . One I am in my 23rd year with now
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Of course Tony is correct. It is also no surprise that there are no decent entertainers left in London. Ever since I left that city and the UK, things have been going downhill. This is why I feel it is my duty to visit Blackpool every year to try and cheer them up!!! JR
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

I have read in the Wall Street Journal and other periodicals that most Americans have seen their wages remain stagnant during the past 4-5 years while the cost of everything else, including taxes and fees, have increased. This, they say, is why most folks feel like they're falling behind and perhaps this is why fees are depressed and why some guys are working so cheap.

I'm not saying that folks still won't buy an expensive household appliance or take their children to Disney World. I just believe that most folks are cutting back and there is LESS PIE OUT THERE FOR ALL OF US TO ENJOY. And when you add in the fact that there is more competition than ever, that just means less pie for everyone else.

Just recently I've noticed that many of the First Night groups are closing. In fact First Night Boston, the group that started this big New Year's Party event, closed. One by one I'm seeing more of these groups close due to a loss in sponsorship dollars.

So again, all of this could be a contributing factor on why fees are lower in some regions.

Gerry
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
One of my best friends works in London. His act is brilliant. He charges £200 for a 2 hour party (well he did a few years ago he may have hiked them up a bit since). I suggested he raised his prices but he said that he was already charging more than a lot of the competition.

So there you go
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's the "going rate"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL