The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » New Opener - Constructive Criticism Welcomed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1267 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
I've almost always opened my shows with "Bank Night". I begin by explaining how this has been the luckiest day of my life. A black cat stopped before it crossed my path, I found money on the ground, not one red light in traffic, I remembered it was our anniversary (my wife and I) on the way home (get laughs) so I want to give everybody in this room a chance to win $100.00".

I now want to do something a little more flashy just prior to bank night with music. Just to change it up a bit. I just received all the necessary props so I won't be performing it for a good while but I thought Id cast my reel out for some constructive criticism, advice, suggestions, etc. So here it goes:

I walk on stage and begin passing a flame from hand to hand using "TT flame", which I use to light a candle (vanishing candle). I show my shirt (under blazer), turn around quickly to show a different shirt (Dresscode). I go back to candle and vanish it, producing an "appearing bouquet or rose" and place in vase. I then perform the "3 color changing floating rose" (http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14779). It is at this point that I get in to my bank night routine (that I have modified even for older children parties). I'm not usually a flower guy but there's been so many requests for flower magic that I thought Id do this. It looks amazingly flashy in my initial practice runs. Im very happy thus far. I know the brilliant minds of the Café could probably make it better. Thoughts?
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
Okay, my suggestions are: At first you produce a candle. You light the candle and ''take'' some of that fire in to your hand. You put the candle away. You blow out the fire in your hands, and strike an applause pose Smile. You show your shirt ( I recommend that you maybe use red to white or white to red color change) turn around and it changes color. Those are my thoughts, didn't help you in any ways but whatever.

RJH
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
543 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
What about incorporating a reason for the shirt change: Walk on and pick up the white candle and start to light it, but it changes from white to red! Glance at your white shirt disapprovingly and turn around, quickly changing your shirt red to match the candle. Being pleased, continue trying to light the candle but the lighter goes out every time you get near the candle, so you light the lighter away from the candle, and "pick" the flame with your fingers off the lighter and put it on the candle. Then vanish candle to a bouquet of spring bills. The money gives a perfect segue to bank night. Sorry, that left out the rosé sequence. But perhaps that could be done with one candle and the bills with a second candle? Good luck with it!
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
myboydash
View Profile
New user
Bertrand, NE
19 Posts

Profile of myboydash
My question would be more about the rest of your routine - as bank night is a strong comedy effect, and depending on your patter is a fast talking bit - this as described is largely a smooth and silent bit - how do you tie the act together, as an expectation if I saw this I would be thinking lance Burton early stuff with doves and candles and fire etc... more of a manipulation act, vanishes and productions, scarves etc... so how do you merge the styles. Maybe tie in the intro patter to bank night about being luckiest day of your life - perhaps some minor changes, something to fit each step of the routine - rescued goldfish from a pet store fire (fire) - ending with the rose and wife anniversary. But as Stephon was illustrating as well, have purpose to lead into bank night - cheers.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The original poster, as I read his request must be thinking of the many published words that say, a magic act, should have a "Flash Opening" number to tell the audience that he will be presenting magic tricks and to hopefully introduce himself as an entertaining person/magician.

Anyone ever read the front of the Tarbell Course, Billy McComb, Harold Taylor, John Booth, etc. They all have use and published their thoughts on opening a magic act.

I really don't see why the Bank Night or Just Chance routine would need to be tied to the opening. I would hopefully, being the rest of his act will be a patter act. He will at the point following hid "Flash Opening" introduce himself and have a few comments to the audience concerning his pleasure to be there to join in the rest to the show.

I will say, a "Flash Opening" is usually only one fast trick, to surprise the audience and show that the performer has some skill at performing magic.

I myself open with a full set of tricks done silent or with limited patter, with silks, bowls, fire and such. Then the rest is situation comedy with patter and audience participation.

The rules are a little different now when presenting a 45 minute to one hour show. Gone are the days of "THE ACT" of 10 to 20 minutes, where everything has a theme and continuity, it is a different type of continuity today. As Mr. Electric said in his lecture on performing, have an act of 20 minutes and then insert additional material in the middle when needed to extend the performance time.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1267 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 01:44, Stephon Johnson wrote:
What about incorporating a reason for the shirt change: Walk on and pick up the white candle and start to light it, but it changes from white to red! Glance at your white shirt disapprovingly and turn around, quickly changing your shirt red to match the candle. Being pleased, continue trying to light the candle but the lighter goes out every time you get near the candle, so you light the lighter away from the candle, and "pick" the flame with your fingers off the lighter and put it on the candle. Then vanish candle to a bouquet of spring bills. The money gives a perfect segue to bank night. Sorry, that left out the rosé sequence. But perhaps that could be done with one candle and the bills with a second candle? Good luck with it!


I really like this. I could actually make this all about color coordination with my color changing flower piece. I keep using magic to try and get all the colors coordinated until finally it all works out. You just served as a catalyst for many good ideas. Thank you. Vanishing the candle to a bouquet of spring bills is also a stellar segue for bank night. Thanks so much for your input.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1267 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 10:13, myboydash wrote:
My question would be more about the rest of your routine - as bank night is a strong comedy effect, and depending on your patter is a fast talking bit - this as described is largely a smooth and silent bit - how do you tie the act together, as an expectation if I saw this I would be thinking lance Burton early stuff with doves and candles and fire etc... more of a manipulation act, vanishes and productions, scarves etc... so how do you merge the styles. Maybe tie in the intro patter to bank night about being luckiest day of your life - perhaps some minor changes, something to fit each step of the routine - rescued goldfish from a pet store fire (fire) - ending with the rose and wife anniversary. But as Stephon was illustrating as well, have purpose to lead into bank night - cheers.

I actually do get in to some more silly stuff after my bank night bit. I get in to a Milk Pitcher piece and subsequently a tear no tear of the newspaper (Paul Potassey's). Im trying something a little different. Flashy, comical, etc. A little something for everybody. I have a notepad full of notes on how to accomplish the combinations of styles. I agree that I should incorporate patter to fit each step of the routine. Im just in the preliminary phases but you are right on the money. Thanks again for some great input.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1267 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 10:40, Bill Hegbli wrote:
The original poster, as I read his request must be thinking of the many published words that say, a magic act, should have a "Flash Opening" number to tell the audience that he will be presenting magic tricks and to hopefully introduce himself as an entertaining person/magician.

Anyone ever read the front of the Tarbell Course, Billy McComb, Harold Taylor, John Booth, etc. They all have use and published their thoughts on opening a magic act.

I really don't see why the Bank Night or Just Chance routine would need to be tied to the opening. I would hopefully, being the rest of his act will be a patter act. He will at the point following hid "Flash Opening" introduce himself and have a few comments to the audience concerning his pleasure to be there to join in the rest to the show.

I will say, a "Flash Opening" is usually only one fast trick, to surprise the audience and show that the performer has some skill at performing magic.

I myself open with a full set of tricks done silent or with limited patter, with silks, bowls, fire and such. Then the rest is situation comedy with patter and audience participation.

The rules are a little different now when presenting a 45 minute to one hour show. Gone are the days of "THE ACT" of 10 to 20 minutes, where everything has a theme and continuity, it is a different type of continuity today. As Mr. Electric said in his lecture on performing, have an act of 20 minutes and then insert additional material in the middle when needed to extend the performance time.


Hi Bill. Thanks for chiming in. I initially didn't see the need to tie the flashy opener to the bank night routine. It was just to stir up some neural activiy in their visual cortex. Now that a bouquet of bills has been mentioned it actually does sound like a fun seguey. Needed? Not sure. When I've done flashy openers in the past it's been pure card productions/florishes. I suppose I'm looking to get more creative. I feel I have a fairly holistic array of effects that touch on mentalism (i.e - drawing duplication), comedy (milk pitcher, comedy egg can, etc), some danger (Danger Monte - Patrick Kuffs, razorblade swallow), some cards (Jumbo coincidence - Colombini, Smart-Ass - Abbott and some rope work (i.e - roped in - colombini, ring and rope with nest of wallets).

You're right on the money with the demand for longer shows. Clients seem to want 45 - 60 minute shows now-a-days so instead of saying mine are ony 20-30 mins and consequently potentially losing the gig I'm beginning to cater to the demand of longer shows. It seems you do the same type of opening with your shows.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » New Opener - Constructive Criticism Welcomed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL