The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Just Curious (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Just curious. What do you guys think of John Edwards? Those of you not familiar, he is the host of "Crossing Over" How many people in here do work as a "medium" or any contact with the spirit world?

I think John is very good at what he does.
I also think since he is becoming more main stream on American television, he may be helping mentalist/private readers just as David Blaine is helping to promote the magician.

Just a "thought" let me know what you
"think'. Smile
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
While not overly impressed with his persona or technique, I must admit John Edward has tapped into the imagination (and belief systems) of many people. He is a good example of what you can do with a strong combination of confidence, basic hot and cold reading technique, and plenty of b.s. Also having the ability to tape and edit his show before airing is also a strong plus.

Whatever one thinks of Edward, however, he is certainly doing something right. I've had many of my friends and clients favorably remark about his show and his alleged abilities.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
He's also doing something wrong, in how he does great damage to the natural mourning process and creates other psychological havoc with his clients. Richard Busch wrote an editorial on it for Visions a while back; I think it's since been taken down, but the cached version courtesy of Google can be found at:

http://216.239.35.100/search?q=cache:UD8......mp;hl=en
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Interesting article.

But I wish that Richard had chosen to present his argument in a logical manner without resorting to emotional oratory.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I agree completely with you! I think he's doing an awful thing! BUT, he's good at it. He uses the television to his supreme advantage and covers for his poor ability.

Jonathan Grant
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
He's real.
Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
A l a i n B e ll o n
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of A l a i n B e ll o n
Who is? And... How do you know? Smile

-Alain Bellon
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2002-05-28 17:41, Trinity wrote:
He's real.
Best regards,
Tony Razzano

We are not.
Greg Smile
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Greg,
Good one! Smile

Alain,
John Edward is real. I don't know, I believe that he is. There is a difference.
Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Edwards would be in the same league as religous folk who assure the bereaved that their loved ones are enjoying eternity in heaven. Neither can be proven or disproven.
jecar
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of jecar
I think he should make contact with one of the suicide bombers and ask them if martyrdom is all what it's cracked up to be.

Jerry
A l a i n B e ll o n
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of A l a i n B e ll o n
Tony, fair enough.

-Alain Bellon
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
326 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
I am not too sure what to think. His whole attitude and persona seems to permeate of honesty and wholesomeness - actually, a little too much to my taste. But he does come across as real. The only thing I have noticed negative was today, when he stumbled upon a word (cannot recall which one.) For a moment, it felt like an actor fumbling his line, not like an average Joe 'Looking' for a word. My gut says he is a fake medium, but a real actor. And a guy with a syndicated show. Must be doing something right.
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Edwards was in a news piece awhile ago where they caught him using overheard info and passing it off as "words from beyond." He is good at what he does, but let's remember that not everyone is privy to the type of information we have.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2002-05-28 19:42, MichelAsselin wrote:
My gut says he is a fake medium, but a real actor. And a guy with a syndicated show. Must be doing something right.
Jim Jones was very successful. So was Jim Bakker. And Hitler. The fact that people are doing well with their pursuits has absolutely no bearing on whether they are doing something "right."

Magicians have been debunking spiritualists for years for a very simple and noble reason: We fool people for entertainment, and we let them know we are just "playing." They fool people to take advantage--they are con men and cheats--while claiming to have real powers. And having "cult" followings. And successful or not, it is just wrong.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
MindExplosion
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of MindExplosion
How is it wrong?

These people are going to his shows because they are mourning the death of a loved one, and hope to find out that everyone on the other side is allright.

If they are one of the people John Edwards gets to, whether he is a fake or not, he is putting their hearts and minds at ease.

What is so bad about that?
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
248 Posts

Profile of saglaser
I neither like nor trust the guy. I don't for a moment believe him to be real and believe that he's exploiting the grief of others for his own sake.

However...

I've also read that he has qualified professional grief counselors on his staff and that they do a lot of follow-up counseling with the people he's with. If that's true, it elevates him above the slime-level I previously rated him.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Ty,
If you can get past his over-emotionalization, do read Richard's piece that he posted, because he explains it better than I can since he's much more qualified to speak on therapeutic sort of things than I am.

For the short version, Edward is shortcutting the mourning process, by providing that early calming to the clients, he isn't allowing them to go through the full cycle of grief, etc., which we as humans need to really cope healthily with death. Yes, in the short term it seems a good thing, but looking beyond the surface, it's very bad.

Second, as Richard points out, he's essentially telling his clients that they can't speak directly to their relatives, that they need a middleman to be able to communicate with them. That's a very powerful negative implication, dontcha think?

Again, read Richard's article. Yeah, it's a bit emotional, and some could call it propaganda, but he makes some extremely valid points in the end.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
But there are two problems with this attitude.
The first is that sceptics claim to have certain knowledge of what is best for other people. This, of course, is a shaky thing.

The second is best explained in a rough manner, using rhetoric like this:

"The great X (insert name of favourite megastar mentalist) is a fraud. He exploits people's need for an escape from everday life and the problems in their lives for personal gain. I don't trust him, although we've never met. Also, it is dangerous to threaten people's conviction of proven scientific fact in the way he does. They could end up believing in ghosts and stuff."

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't support frauds or con artists. I just mean these are the thoughts that keep me from posting anything bad about "psychics" or "mediums". My honest opinion is I can't tell if they do harm or good. Or if "pretend" mindreaders should be the ones to denounce them.

And, as for whether mr. Edwards is real or not, I've only seen him once, and he was obviously having an off day at the time. And, it doesn't fit into my beliefs. But hey, neither does George W Bush. And he's very real.

Yours squintingly,
/bamba

Smile
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
GREAT ONE JERRY!!! I really think he could make a huge impact by doing that! Suicide bombers? ha ha ha Seriously, can you imagine the publicity? He could do it on Fox and follow celebrity boxing.

Scott, I completely agree with you...100%!

How you could think he was real is beyond me! I take that back, how WE could think he is real is beyond me. Muggles I can understand.

I find the comparison between he and the issue of heaven interesting. I can see where you are coming from. However, I disagree with telling just anyone that their lost loved one is in heaven. Now if the family is Christian and believe they are in heaven and you believe they are in heaven I think it can be helpful to remind them of this. I've seen many many funerals and many close to me have died and I am close to many families whose loved ones have died. The process is so much more natural in a Christian religion than in a non-Christian one. Regardless of what is true and what is myth, I find the celebration of them moving on to something better while mourning the loss of your contact with them and simultaniously celebrating their life very healthy.

The promise of heaven or anything else I don't think should ever cut short any mourning. But it does give hope on the other end that THEY are not suffering. Anyone who says, you shouldn't mourn or shouldn't grieve because they are in heaven or they are on the other side and happy is wrong! I know of several people who never properly grieved and they are in serious couseling now years and years after.

That's just my view. Take it or leave it. You all make some excellent points.

Jonathan Grant
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Just Curious (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL