The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Square Circle Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have a Mel Babcock Square Circle that I use in my show. Now and then I get comments from the kids as to the method, based on what they are seeing (I kept that obscure on purpose).

I have delayed altering the prop for a long time, because it is after all, a Mel Babcock prop. But I think it needs some tweaking if I'm going to continue to use it in my shows, because it is a working prop.

I'm thinking about adding a screen or grill to the back of the opening, like you see on some Square Circles. I know this would create a better camouflage.

I'm also thinking of altering the box on my Creative Magic Invisible Paint in the same way. That prop is still new -- I haven't had a chance to use it in shows yet, because I'm using the other one (just because I'm not using it yet, doesn't mean I want to sell it). So, I'd just alter both at the same time.

Has anyone had success with adding a screen or grill to the front (inside) of their Square Circle? Any recommendations as to what style of screen or grill? Straight lines up and down, and side to side, or at an angle?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can go the way the old Mak Magic Square Circles were made, although they usually put their screens on the outside. I would guess this was to not scratch the inner tube while removing and placing it inside.

They used an aluminum grill cut form a sheet available at the local hardware store. They usually have a section display of aluminum sheeting and several different cut out designs. You could also use the small fence like diamond shaped strip used to put around flower beds in the yard. I suggest you take a trip to your local hardware stores and see what is available, I am sure you will find a design you can use.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Most of the Mak Square Circles that I've seen, have the grill on the inside.

I just couldn't put it on the outside, and destroy the beauty of the Babcock prop.

http://home.nwi.net/~magicmel/sqcircle.html

Mine is slightly different from the one pictured.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can go the way the old Mak Magic Square Circles were made, although they usually put their screens on the outside. I would guess this was to not scratch the inner tube while removing and placing it inside.

They used an aluminum grill cut form a sheet available at the local hardware store. They usually have a section display of aluminum sheeting and several different cut out designs. You could also use the small fence like diamond shaped strip used to put around flower beds in the yard. I suggest you take a trip to your local hardware stores and see what is available, I am sure you will find a design you can use.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Could you fashion a screen that could slide behind Mel's wooden front, stay in place due to fit and friction, but not be affixed permanently? That way, it would function properly, but not ruin Mel's original design.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I have to say, it's not "ruining" Mel's design if the design doesn't work.

If you have kids that are yelling out the method, the you should have no qualms about making it work. I'd have altered it gladly the first time I even suspected that it was being given away during a show.

Babcock or not, the prop isn't well designed and should be fixed. You could even do it with a piece of clear plexi by the way..
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Personally, I would not hesitate to modify, even a Babcock prop if it makes it more usable. There are ways to do the modification that will not destroy the value of it. Just think it out and try not to permanently alter the original piece.

Clear Plexi may be the way to go, but it does have the problem of scratching and may need to be replaced from time to time. That said, it could be easily inserted into the SC and held in place against the front panel with a good quality double sided tape, like turners tape, (used by wood workers) or carpet tape.

If you want to use a grid, you may want to fashion a frame that goes inside to protect the circle from scratching. Check out these grids available, in brass or nickle finish, at Rockler. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2494&rrt=1. They are much nicer than the standard home improvement store fare.

Lighting can make a big difference, but if you are doing kid's shows you probably don't have much control of the light.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Go look at Karl Germain's Wizard Gardner. It helps solve the lighting problem. Think overhead.

Not knowing how tight the tolerances are I would take some expanded metal, paint it a complimenting color. Edge the eges of it with black felt. Then hot glue it in the box. Hot glue could be removed without damage to the box.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If you add a grill to the inside, just hold it in place with a couple brads on each side, kind of like how some pictures are mounted in frames. They will keep the grill in place and if you ever decide to revert to original, the brads will have only left holes so tiny that you'll probably never find them again.

As far as modifying a prop, I have done so for myself and for others. The deciding factor sometimes is whether the prop is a display piece or a tool for a show. I'm guessing the prop will be worth more as a tool than as a display piece. I would not hesitate to modify something that generates more money one way over the other. If I wanted to keep it original for display, that is a different set of rules. Combining both desires sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
CharlaineC
View Profile
New user
rhode island
61 Posts

Profile of CharlaineC
You could alwaus use a small sheet of wired safty glass its thin and could be cut to fit the insidethe prop.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Square Circle Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL