We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Metal bending (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

peng
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
87 Posts

Profile of peng
No matter what I do (mind reading, prediction), at the end of my performance, people talk about the bent spoon. And they would still talk about it after a long, long time.

It makes me wonder; why bother performing other effects? It's hard to describe how I feel now. It's like, the spoon bending effect is too strong, that it overshadows all other things. Maybe even myself (hopefully not).

Do you know what I am talking about?
Peng
altoni
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of altoni
Peng,

I feel your pain.

I had the same problem with producing a jumbo coin at the end of my routine. No one talked about the routine, though while it was happening I was getting great reactions. Once the jumbo was produced— that was it. “Hey, can you make the coin get big again?” I don’t do it any more for that reason. Now people talk about the coin routine.

Al
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Seeing that this is a mentalism forum here, did they assume you used mental abilities to enlarge the coin?

;)

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Peng: perhaps your other presentations aren't strong enough.
peng
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
87 Posts

Profile of peng
Shrink, good point! That's something I shall work on.
Peng
altoni
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of altoni
Thoughtreader,

Some my have ;-), but actually, I try NOT to mix my sleight of hand effects with mental effects. I was commenting on how an one effect can overshadow other aspects of a performance. In this particular circumstance, producing a giant coin overshadowed a beautiful coin routine. Leaving it out made the routine memorable on it’s own.

Al
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2003-12-12 11:37, peng wrote:
No matter what I do (mind reading, prediction), at the end of my performance, people talk about the bent spoon. And they would still talk about it after a long, long time.

It makes me wonder; why bother performing other effects? It's hard to describe how I feel now. It's like, the spoon bending effect is too strong, that it overshadows all other things. Maybe even myself (hopefully not).

Do you know what I am talking about?

I don't think it's so much why bothering to perform other effects, but a matter of framing your entire performance.

Bending metal, done well, is something people will remember. Years ago we had dinner with Banachek and the discussion of spoon bending came up. He grabbed a spoon off the table and bent it. My wife was sitting next to him and watched very carefully. It's still something she talks about to this day.

It may help to consider all the other tricks you have in your performance and rearrange them in a different manner. Or take a very close look at each trick and decide if you could change the presentation some.

There's no doubt some tricks will generate a greater level of response than others. Part of putting together a really powerful show is knowing to what degree you want those levels to vary, when, and how well you can manage it.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
shrek
View Profile
New user
South India
21 Posts

Profile of shrek
Where can I be learning this metal bending? This something I would be loving to do.
limkris
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
165 Posts

Profile of limkris
I use the classic impromptu bending and breaking spoon or fork all the time and I agree: often it overshadows the other effects that have been done.
When I am prepared I produce a little smoke when rubbing on the spoon between the fingers. This great subtility I learned from Michal Weber's fantastic book 'Live Savers' (first trick of the book).
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2003-12-19 12:47, shrek wrote:
Where can I be learning this metal bending? This something I would be loving to do.

Shrek, look for the video by Banachek and Gerry, called "Psychokinetic Silverware". It sells for around $25-$30.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I feel like we're beating the perverbial dead horse. I'm going to have to drop spoon bending for a while, its becoming too common place.

If you want ther video, Kuffs has a great video.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
All my effects are either ones people talk about or ones that build up to those. If an effect doesn't accomplish one of those two things I have no use for it.

My goal is to give them something to talk about. I want people to talk about my finale. If I took out my finale they'd talk about my next to last trick and so on.

As long as you aren't a one-trick wonder with everything else filler (there should NEVER be any "filler" IMO) why worry? It's silly to get rid of a trick because it's "too strong"!

Jonathan Grant
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
334 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
There is no such thing as 'too strong' an effect. People are always going to remember one effect in particular above the others, just as we each have our own favourites. Anything that sticks in people's minds is good IMO.

Merlin
First do no harm...

http://www.impossibottle.co.uk
Ray Thompson
View Profile
New user
Des Moines, Iowa
60 Posts

Profile of Ray Thompson
Just a thought I'd like to share. Maybe the reason people remember and comment on your metal bending more than your other effects is that they can understand and relate more to it. Most of what we perform in our shows is far beyond anything the layperson thinks they can do. But, everyone has accidently, or on purpose bent a fork or spoon..... just not with "the power of their mind".
Ray Thompson, the Mind Wizard
www.hypnosisandmore.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Why give it up? It may be common to mentalist but not to the layman Dr Zodiac.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6508 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2004-10-28 19:35, Candini wrote:
Why give it up? It may be common to mentalist but not to the layman Dr Zodiac.

I'm sure Dr.Z will correct me, but I believe what he was getting at is that the bending is no longer special because all magicians are getting into it. It use to be something you would only see a mentalist do, but now some guy will do a matrix, do a sign card to pocket, twist a balloon into a puppy then say, "Examine this spoon."

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I have to agree with Dr Z on this one, it seems that anyone who performs mentalism of any sort is bending silverware and this is the reason I have laid this one to rest for a while while the storm blows over.

Shrek, great places to learn bending btw are also Banachek's Psi Serioes, Morgan's new DVD is very good also. Obviously Kuffs and Psychokenetic Silverware are the classics. There si also John Riggs also does some cool stuff in Slow Motion Gellerism (can be found in Syzygy)

Kind thoughts,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I am just glad I never got into metal bending in the first place!
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
958 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Recently I did a show for a host af a radio talk show and I performed one bend of a fork that is held at the fingertips and bends to 90 degrees. they really talked about this one bend....next week the host told me they were at a picnic and his friends 13 year old son was bending a spoon that broke in half!!! I was stunned!~.. he then went on to tell me that the boy was just holding the 2 peices together and dropped one!! gulp... he told the boy that he new me..someone that did this for real!!!( how to bw a fake kreskin)
my point is simply if people see a card trick or whatever done by someone they do not "buy into" then the will say " ah..its a trick deck"
soooo.. to dismiss anything soely based on the fact that other people do it( well or poorly )seems wrong.
how many people have seen someone bend a spoon? its like approching people and saying, "well I know you have all seen the ambitiuos card so I won t do that!" they would look at you more strangely than they already do.

gerard
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
Shrek: don´t forget to have a look at the osterlind dvds! the spoon bending is really good...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Metal bending (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL