The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Places to buy Stage Illusions from (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
Can anyone give me some recommendations on whom to order large stage illusions (mis made, crystal casket, etc.) from? Dealers with good selections, prices, and service.

New and/or used…
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Since you are in the Carolinas, and are looking at standard illusions, I would definitely get in touch with George at Chalet Magic. You can check out his web site, nice stuff, well built.

You may also wish to check out the magic auction web site. As Zigmont says, a good place to start. There is a nice Crystal Casket on it by Gaughan. It looks similar to mine. If it is, the quality is great!!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I've used Chalet props for about thirty years. They are top notch and George listens to your needs. (They are also in Tennessee.) I've removed one piece of his equipment from my show in the last twenty-five years. It blew off stage in Oklahoma (where else?) in an outdoor show and was destroyed. The producer replaced the equipment for me. And it is still in the show. It has never even needed repainting.

Depending on your budget, watch the theme parks for acts with props you like. Some like Six Flags, own the props. When the show changes, the props are for sale. (By the way, their warehouse is in Oklahoma.) They usually only have top-drawer props because they use them hard. They also have backup pieces that are never opened. I think they also use eBay.

I have also see some very good deals on illusions at magicauction.com
and Joe has always been very fair with me.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1810 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I, also, agree that Chalet Magic is the best place to start. I've known George Kimery, the owner, for 27 years and there's nobody better to deal with than him.

He builds super high-quality illusions at a reasonable price. (His shop is in a very small town in Tennessee so he can keep his overhead low!)

George stands behind his equipment and takes care of all your problems. His illusions work fabulously and he constantly works on improving the look and operation of each illusion.

I can't recommend him highly enough!

Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I got my excellent, Laflin Table, Visable Sawing, and the Wiz-Kote effect from Chalet. Yes, he does do excellent work.
Dennis Michael
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Try Doug Malloy at http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/products.htm
He has quality Illusions and fresh new designs. Plus he is a pretty cool guy as well. If you don't see what you want, he can custom build Illusions as well.
George at Chalet has my support! He designs and builds great Illusions and props. Please remember...you get what you pay for!
Be careful of other dealers offering great prices as in most cases, the quality and Illusion suffers.
George's prices are VERY fair for the great quality you receive.
Take care,
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Xavier
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
209 Posts

Profile of Xavier
Check out Oz Illusions at:

http://www.ozillusions.com/

Although this guy is located here in Australia you might be surprised at how much you save with the US dollar being stronger. Even when the illusion is shipped.

I have been honored to watch a few of his illusions being built as well as seeing many finished products. I have also worked with Australian Illusionist John Taylor who has a huge illusion collection that includes builders such as Johnny Gaughan, Bill Smith, Magic Craft, Chalet etc.

Chris Murphy's props are just as beautiful, if not superior. He makes his illusion with breakdown in mind and makes some of the most deceptive bases I've ever seen.

Not only that but he has personally bought and destroyed a number of rip off illusions and has never built any pirated knock offs. He is a wealth of knowledge and one of the nicest guys in the business.
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
Thanks guys, I’ll check into all of these. Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Let us know what you learn. We are always looking too!

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
AnthonyMagic
View Profile
New user
Detroit, MI
7 Posts

Profile of AnthonyMagic
Hi lostpoet!

Welcome to the Café!

I've dealt with several illusion builders over the years, and I'd put in my 2 cents that you can't go wrong with George at Chalet. I have one of his Sub Trunks, a Cube-Zag, and a few prop tables. All top quality stuff. (I hear he builds a great crystal box also!)

As for Oz Illusions, I have heard a few stories about "property issues" when it comes to some of the overseas illusion builders. I'm not sure if it was Oz in Australia or not, but it would be worth checking into. Make sure you support only ethical companies that respect our art.

Good luck!

Anthony
Xavier
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
209 Posts

Profile of Xavier
Anthony,

I have known Chris Murphy since I was 10 and I have just turned 21. He has never, and I mean never, built anything that even resembled protected property.

And as I said in my post, he has personally purchased and destroyed two ripoff origami illusions. I think you will also find that he is a strong supporter and member of WAM.

Chris is a friend and doesn't know I have posted the above post.

Just to let you also know that Chris Murphy was the builder who helped create John Taylor's "Suspended Animation ", "Evolution" and "Dimension", all of which have been advertised in MAGIC and owned and performed by illusionists such as Hans Klok and Murray Hattfield.

Mark Parker who wrote 4-effect Illusions Design is also a good friend of Chris and will be releasing illusions through OZ illusions.

It doesn't add up that such big names in magic would support a rip off artist?!?

Why am I going to all this trouble? Chris is one of the nicest guys I have ever met in the magic industry and his illusions are beautiful.

PLEASE be careful with what you write. A reputation takes years of hard work to build and only a few seconds to destroy.

Happy Holidays!

Xavier.
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
I consider Chris Murphy one of illusions best kept secrets, he builds as good as the rest and as Xavier has stated is a lovely guy.
Drop Chris a line at http://www.ozillusions.com/.

Regards and Merry Christmas to you all on the forum.

Mark Parker - 4effect
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
Alex Tan
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
289 Posts

Profile of Alex Tan
Chris Murphy has also done an incredible job on my illusions and no, he would never rip anyone off (I know cause I 'tested' him when I wanted him to build some illusions.) He's knowledgeable and incredibly nice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Places to buy Stage Illusions from (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL