The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SMACK! by Francis Menotti (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
©NathanaelBergenMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Warszawa, Poland
105 Posts

Profile of ©NathanaelBergenMagic
SMACK! by Francis Menotti (DVD + Gimmick)
A lightning fast, in-your-face card restoration.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3481

SMACK! PACKS A PUNCH


SMACK! is Francis Menotti's lightning fast, in-your-face card restoration. The brilliant gimmick you receive enables this incredible restoration that DEMANDS great reactions.


Here's what happens:

You begin by tearing a SIGNED card into random jagged pieces. The torn pieces are handed to your spectator to see, taken back, and SMACK!!!

THEIR SIGNED CARD IS RESTORED.

The card is then IMMEDIATELY given away as a souvenir.

Included is a custom-made gimmick and Francis Menotti's professional routine. Also included are many tips from Francis on how to present this effect in a variety of situations.



"I love this. Visual and practical. Just like everything Francis does, it is extremely well thought out and developed through tons of real world performance" -Dan White

"The visual restore smacked me in my brain. Immediately started the wheels turning for opportunities to use this!" -Blake Vogt
"Oh, you have an opinion? Let me delete that for you." ~ the magic cafe
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10616 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
This T and R effect looks increditable .
this is something I would use, I love in your face effects quick and to the point
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Incredible. What isn't there to like?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4664 Posts

Profile of RNK
Looks just like JM's Decent effect from The Bold Project. I wonder if Francis credits JM? I think JM's restoration is much more elegant. A simple upwards swipe and BAM a restored card. Much nicer than SMACKING the card. A guess this would come down to preference of the performer. Though looks identical to JM's except for the SMACKING part.

As an aside- I did see Francis perform at the Dicken's Parlour Theater this year. He did an OK job but performed nothing exceptional. Seems like a very nice guy.

RNK
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Nice way of restoring a card, but a little bit illogical.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4664 Posts

Profile of RNK
Not to mention- the dirty work in Decent is camouflaged better than it is in SMACKED. In Decent you don't have to hide your dirty hand right away. As a matter of fact you can openly show both hands before doing any of the dirty work. Whereas in SMACKED, after watching the demo, you definitely see Francis not showing both of his hands openly.

RNK
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18261 Posts

Profile of IAIN
RNK - its probably better to know how both effects work before stating that credit should be given!

I've got SMACK!, it came today, and its a very healthy balance between sleight of hand and a specially made (and very clever/subtle) gimmick...

Francis mentions that he's been using this for nearly 15 years (so maybe JM needs to credit FM?), and used to just make small batches himself by hand... so if you somehow had the original gimmick, this has had a mild tweak/addition to it...clever and well structured routining, and very well explained too...not finished the dvd yet, so can't comment more - just watched the main routine/handling thus far...there is a very, very clever convincer that you can do with the gimmick... classic card sleights mixed in with an unusual gimmick... the main routine is great...
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4664 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 12:24, IAIN wrote:
RNK - its probably better to know how both effects work before stating that credit should be given!

I've got SMACK!, it came today, and its a very healthy balance between sleight of hand and a specially made (and very clever/subtle) gimmick...

Francis mentions that he's been using this for nearly 15 years (so maybe JM needs to credit FM?), and used to just make small batches himself by hand... so if you somehow had the original gimmick, this has had a mild tweak/addition to it...clever and well structured routining, and very well explained too...not finished the dvd yet, so can't comment more - just watched the main routine/handling thus far...there is a very, very clever convincer that you can do with the gimmick... classic card sleights mixed in with an unusual gimmick... the main routine is great...


You are right Ian- my apologies since I do not have the gimmick. The whole routine from the demo looks totally identical to JM's except for the smacking part. Though Francis has been using this for 15 years- he has never marketed it, has he? So I believe JM marketed and was selling his first, correct? So therefore JM should not have to give credit to Francis. Further- JM's Decent looks much cleaner than SMACKED.

RNK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4664 Posts

Profile of RNK
Not to mention with Decent you don't have to worry about any gimmick breaking or wearing out. Once you have the tutorial video you can do this forever. I wonder if this is the case with SMACKED?

RNK
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I've been using SMACK ( it's a P3 release ) and it's not like other methods mentioned. The gimmick is very clever and can even be put in their hand!

The trailer shows one way to perform it, but I immediately went for Francis's "Back In Time" rotuine. The differnece is instead of the instant "SMACK" resoration, which gets great reactions, Back In time has a slow burn where they look at each other trying to figure out what just happened.

If you want to take it to another level, combine it with LokI Kross's incredible FAX method.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4664 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 12:46, Zombie Magic wrote:
I've been using SMACK ( it's a P3 release ) and it's not like other methods mentioned. The gimmick is very clever and can even be put in their hand!

The trailer shows one way to perform it, but I immediately went for Francis's "Back In Time" rotuine. The differnece is instead of the instant "SMACK" resoration, which gets great reactions, Back In time has a slow burn where they look at each other trying to figure out what just happened.

If you want to take it to another level, combine it with LokI Kross's incredible FAX method.


Zombie- just wandering if the gimmick can wear out over time?

Thanks,
RNK
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18261 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Can you stop with the incessant JM comparisons, zombie has already put you straight on that... different methods, and yes, FM says on the dvd he used to make the gimmicks up himself in small quantities and sell them...

so can this go back to just being a review on this particular product? Pretty much any gimmick can "run out" over time, its made from a playing card, so if you were to dunk it in water, or perform inside a mine, I'm sure it'll wear out a lot quicker... but as its only in play for a few moments, and just left out in the open, in your or someone else's hand - it'll last a long time... but (having made one up for a passport photo today) its relatively easy to do with about an hour's experimentation...

I thought about FAX too, but I reckon for the timing of the routine, it'll cause a bit of time-delay that isn't needed in this kind of routine...
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4664 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 13:49, IAIN wrote:
Can you stop with the incessant JM comparisons, zombie has already put you straight on that... different methods, and yes, FM says on the dvd he used to make the gimmicks up himself in small quantities and sell them...

so can this go back to just being a review on this particular product? Pretty much any gimmick can "run out" over time, its made from a playing card, so if you were to dunk it in water, or perform inside a mine, I'm sure it'll wear out a lot quicker... but as its only in play for a few moments, and just left out in the open, in your or someone else's hand - it'll last a long time... but (having made one up for a passport photo today) its relatively easy to do with about an hour's experimentation...

I thought about FAX too, but I reckon for the timing of the routine, it'll cause a bit of time-delay that isn't needed in this kind of routine...


Sorry Iain- but that's what a forum is for- compare to other effects, share ideas, etc... Sorry SMACK looks exactly like Decent. Not my fault. Further- if other effects achieve the same result without having to make a gimmick that's going to wear out it's only fair to let others know. And that's what the café is partly about. Also, there are numerous posts when someone creates an effect that's like another. A lot of bashing because of it. This is nothing new.

RNK
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18261 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Just watched the demo of descent, I mean its a TnR, but can the pieces be left in the participant's hands in Descent? is it available as a stand alone effect or only part of the bigger BOLD project? does anyone who has both offer a proper comparison please?

I think having the pieces in someone's hands is an interesting moment...
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4664 Posts

Profile of RNK
You could put the pieces in the specs hands with a slight modification. Can be done as I have Decent.

RNK
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18261 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ok thanks... does JM credit FM, as he's been selling this for 15 years or so? (and selling it on and off)
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4664 Posts

Profile of RNK
I havn't seen SMACKED sold from any distributer. How come Penguin just now has offered it? Further- does FM have a patent on the gimmick? And since you mention The Bold Project- you pay $25.00 for one effect or $100 dollars for MANY effects including one that is identical to SMACKED! Plus top notch instruction on presentation and subtleties that very few other creators provide. Seems like a no brainer to me....


RNK
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18261 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Hahaha! ridiculous! well done you! an effect you haven't seen, yet you constantly go on about JMs effect, and when I ask the same question, you call "patent"...no brainer is absolutely correct...
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4664 Posts

Profile of RNK
What more is there to see after the demo? I guess you do miss the part where FM retrieves the card that will be used to restore the torn card. My bad. Oh yea- and you miss the ditch part to. But you didn't answer my original question- if FM has been selling SMACKED for 15 years off and on (LOL) why is Penguin only now offering it?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18261 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Not everything revolves around major online stores!... people do sell stuff during lectures, through word of mouth and between other magicians who also do the same...by using your logic, john riggs stuff doesn't exist...

I am not worried in the sleightest (sic) how effects are seen by us, I am purely focused on entertainment value and what its like for the participants...you keep comparing them, and delaying the discussion of this effect...and I'm not going to argue any further with you, as its obviously a bit of a waste of time...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SMACK! by Francis Menotti (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL