The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SMACK! by Francis Menotti (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4661 Posts

Profile of RNK
Only being fair to all who read this. Comparing two IDENTICAL effects in which one only now has been publically released.

RNK
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Lol RNK, you just have too much time on your hands? Smile there is no evidence that anybody copied anybody else so relax.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18195 Posts

Profile of IAIN
And the routine isn't the same...but lets not allow the facts to get in the way of blind devotion...
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4661 Posts

Profile of RNK
Not really- only when I am at my day job, lol. In all seriousness- I am just looking out for readers here on the café. More importantly- as so many others do here on the café, let people know what effects are similar to the effect being introduced. Trying to help others get more bang for their buck which is so the case here.

RNK
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18195 Posts

Profile of IAIN
It needs to be informed and balanced though, and especially important - the person who is comparing them, needs to actually OWN BOTH...otherwise its guess work based on a demo...

look at the riggs and zust comparison review I did - I bought both and compared them thoroughly...

you're being unfair on FM right now because you're joining up dots that don't deserve to be...
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4661 Posts

Profile of RNK
I am observing an effect openly as a spectator. I see two effects that are the same. One requires a gimmick that will wear out eventually and can be remade with an hours experimentation which has been established by you! And another effect that achieves the exact same outcome that does not require a gimmick that will wear out. Further- talking costs- one can purchase this effect for $25.00 and have ONE effect. One can spend $100.00 and get the exact same effect plus MANY other effects that are top notch. Hmmm... Not being unfair just laying out some facts that have been established in this forum.

RNK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4661 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 14:42, IAIN wrote:
Not everything revolves around major online stores!... people do sell stuff during lectures, through word of mouth and between other magicians who also do the same...by using your logic, john riggs stuff doesn't exist...

Well I just checked FM's website- didn't see SMACKED being sold as John Rigg's sells his stuff online?? Maybe I missed it, lol...
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4661 Posts

Profile of RNK
Further IAIN- as someone just pointed out to me- they have Decent but not SMACK. Their issue is- SMACK looks like you are taking a palmed card and smacking it on your hand. Which- I am only speculating- looks to be what's happening to me. Not very magical looking. Decent is a classy elegant change with a smooth upwards swoop over the torn pieces- magically the card instantly is restored. Again- of coarse this depends on one's taste and the clients they are performing for. I would much rather perform an elegant restoration at a corporate gig rather than having to SMACK my hands together. But that's just me. And that's not being unfair- this is all derived from watching the demo which I believe is supposed to show us how the effect goes down, correct? Unless of coarse the demo is misleading and FM does not really SMACK his hands together before restoring the card?

RNK
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Wow. Ok. Umm.

On the ad page the photo on the left isn't from him performing smack, it is from him performing my FAX. Smile
(Why did they steal a reaction shot from my effect to sell this one?)

OK....

So I have seen this before, in person. It is clean and fast.
Francis always has some fun presentations too.

Don't know why they needed my reactions to sell it though.... :$

LokI
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Unless it is from the same shoot. Which happened in June of 2012. *shrugs
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1124 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
Sorry SMACK looks exactly like Decent. Not my fault. Further- if other effects achieve the same result without having to make a gimmick that's going to wear out it's only fair to let others know. And that's what the café is partly about. Also, there are numerous posts when someone creates an effect that's like another. A lot of bashing because of it. This is nothing new.

Wow. Just wow. I am baffled.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1254 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 15:12, lokikross wrote:
Wow. Ok. Umm.

On the ad page the photo on the left isn't from him performing smack, it is from him performing my FAX. Smile
(Why did they steal a reaction shot from my effect to sell this one?)

OK....

So I have seen this before, in person. It is clean and fast.
Francis always has some fun presentations too.

Don't know why they needed my reactions to sell it though.... :$

LokI

The photo comes from the trailer and is him performing Smack.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Ok. Watched the demo.

It is from that day when they shot FAX. I correct myself. Smile

Not sure why it took so long to come out though. That was over a year ago.

L
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18195 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Loki - do you mean the thumbnail on the far left? francis with a lady in a purple top? that's definitely on the SMASH! dvd, and its definitely him performing SMAck!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18195 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 15:10, RNK wrote:
Decent is a classy elegant change with a smooth upwards swoop over the torn pieces- magically the card instantly is restored. Again- of coarse this depends on one's taste and the clients they are performing for. I would much rather perform an elegant restoration at a corporate gig rather than having to SMACK my hands together. But that's just me.

I'm sure at your elegant corporate gigs you perform a lot of different material RNK...i agree, context is king, and all dependent on what kind of performer you are...i am happy to talk about that kinda thing all day...

all I want is something very simple...
1. for someone who owns both effects to do a simple and fair comparison...its as easy as that really...
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
I just pointed that out myself IAIN. Smile

The girl in the blue blouse acting hysterically is on my DVD too.

It appears from the demo that he did this effect before performing MWI from FAX.

Easy to confuse though, as it is the exact same group, in the exact same clothes.

After seeing the demo, I could tell it was from the same set.

(She is the girl who has to pull her panties out after seeing FAX on the FAX demo.)

Just saw the pic and it was eerily familiar. Lol.

But then again, I already said that Smile

L
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Smile.

I feel your pain.

It was easier for me to click a thumbnail than watch the demo. LOL

L
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
As for the effect, I remember Francis showing me this at his lecture Smile

Pretty cool. Fast. And Visual.

Not my kind of handling, but I always took the laborious route. (Piece by piece)
For an easy TNR, this one has a great kicker.

I enjoy watching it. Smile
L
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4661 Posts

Profile of RNK
If this has been sold like John Riggs' material- why is it that I checked FM's website and see no products section? Maybe IAIN you could point us in the right direction since you were the one to state that this is how SMACK has been sold in the past?

RNK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4661 Posts

Profile of RNK
I'm trying to do my homework IAIN and am finding, Treachery of Tricks, Dissolve Deck, and PRISN by FM. Have not seen anywhere where SMACK has been sold?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SMACK! by Francis Menotti (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL