The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SMACK! by Francis Menotti (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 22:41, papercrane wrote:
IAIN, Justin N. Miller and lokikross - I sent you guys a PM

I don't know why, really. You have my number.
L
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
People just tend to stop posting after I do.
It is not like I intentionally do it.

I have been very honest and positive Smile

If the thread dies, it's on the thread. Not me.

Best,
L
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Like I said.

I saw this back in Nov 2011 at a lecture in Indianapolis.

Francis was selling a few, (As he only had a few left) and you could tell the packaging had been around awhile. (Not tattered, but it had a dated art style.)

I personally like to make my fingers bleed doing TNRs. so I passed. But then I wanted one because I knew that doing a gimmicked TNR would be great for those that had seen my work before, or if I wanted a quicker "SMACK", or Bang to it.

In March 2012 (While filming at P3), I showed him Mythos, and he eagerly showed me SMACK again; this time showing me the workings.

And while I consider myself having mastered the piece by piece, I am seriously considering dropping money on this now; as I feel there are some definite benefits to the sudden production.
I especially like how the gimmick "vanishes" as the card appears. That is a very nice part of this effect.

I am glad that Francis finally let this go. I know what it is like to keep something from your 20's quiet, and share later with the world. (FAX).
It is exciting to release one of your "children" into the world, "all grown up" Smile

Looking forward to more feedback on "SMACK", as I am a confessed TNR junkie. Smile

Best,
L
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
For anyone that has this, can you expand on the level of sleight of hand required? Any sleights involved? Does the gimmick do all the work? Is the full routine aimed at beginners or experts?

THANKS guys....
iNFiNiTi | The Red Pill Magician | SHOCK NOT IMPRESS
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The TNR plot is a gerat one. J.C. Wagner had his where 3/4 was resorted. Tommy Wonder made the left over corner into a joke. David Williamson took the plot is a gerat direction ( David Blaine did it for Tyra Banks on one of his early sepcials ).

I think you should know a few and use the one for the situation you're in.

LokI Kross's "Mythos" from the "A Taste Of Chaos" DVD is perfect in situations where I'm not going for a visual "trick" but want them to connect with feeling deep inside themselves ( massive endorphin release for them ). They won't ask to "see something else" because you just took them on a journey and they are quite happy to be in the state they are;-)

Justin Miller's Decent from "The Bold Project" is an in your face reoration that will make them scream. Make sure you either are about to leave the scene or want to do more beacause the reactions will get attention. Of course, that's the time to stop;-)

SMACK's "Back In TIme" routine takes it more towards the surreal....and I vanish the gimmick from their hand ( was that too good to tip? ;-)

Those are the 3 I use and it depends on the group vibe as to which one I present.
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
Zombie, You are clued up, so I am curious, do you ever use the David Stone Tool principle? It is my TnR of choice... unbelievably clean, and doesn't really matter about being signed.... spectators don't csre that much I've found... the signature is more for magicians. Tool is like SMACK but you smack the deck with the empty card box....you can hand out the pieces for examination first. I am surprised the TOOL method NEVER gets talked about and compared to....
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Magicmarkworldwide2, I've never used David's prop. I've seen the TNR and it's very clever, just not what I'm going for ( I'm sure audiences love it,though ).
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Would you say that smack was suitable for everyone, or just hardened users?
Merlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Palmerton, Pa
362 Posts

Profile of Merlin
Didn't some one else have one where the torn pieces were on the top of the deck. You then slap the deck and the card is restored. Peter Eggink maybe?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Yes. It is called "Ripped Up" and it is by Peter Eggink. The effect is just as you described. Penguin has it listed as discontinued.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
Also don't forget about Wayne Fox Make Amends..... but this was pretty horrid to perform.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Hey guys!

I am in no way associated with this release, nor am I a close friend of Francis' (I had to pay him to be on FAX if that is any indication.)

But I feel this slew of comparisons to other work, (even my own), is de-railing Francis' efforts.

He is a pretty imaginative guy, and I would like to see hi new work on this, hear more about it.
He does not release his work very often, if at all.

All these comparisons could deter his enthusiasm to release more.

I stated very boldly, and with pure intent, "The TNR Debate is OVER" months ago.

But if you guys would like to have a healthy discussion over various TNRs and their merits, I suggest we make a thread for it and go to town.

I don't feel it is fair to Francis to have it here, as we are beginning to compare TNRs that aren't even like his.
(And if someone could make a "The Great TNR Debate" in the proper forum, you're a champion Smile )

I would like to know more about how his gimmick has advanced, personally.
I thought the original was clever.

So let's cut some Slack, get back on Track, and talk some "Smack". LOl.

Best,
L
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
I ordered it last night and today the guys at Penguin sent me a link to video that shows my specific order being
picked, packed and shipped!
Just how cool is that?
Well done Penguin a very nice touch.

Quote:
On 2013-09-04 16:31, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 16:28, TheGreatRaymondo wrote:
Is this' available via any dealers in the UK?
I like it - a lot!

Penguin has their "PENGUIN FLAT-PACKâ„¢ World-wide free shipping" option. I use it here in the states when I just want the one item.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3481
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Quote:
On 2013-09-05 14:58, Merlin wrote:
Didn't some one else have one where the torn pieces were on the top of the deck. You then slap the deck and the card is restored. Peter Eggink maybe?

The first one to ever do that is Alex De'Cova back in the early 90s and it is called Flash Restoration. It is a beautiful effect, but the clean up was seriously lacking in friendly walk-around or close up work. It was designed as as a table effect more than anything. That was my inspiration for what I came up with.
JM
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
Sorry Justin, you're right. My keyboard for stuck.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Anyone get this yet? A friend of mine bought this and shared with me the workings. Now- this is not a knock against Francis- he seems to be a very nice person- but as far as the effect- I can't see how this is a step forward in the TnR plot. I believe it's a step backwards- when the exact same effect can be done without worrying if a certain something may break during performance. Not to mention you have to use another certain something to achieve the end result. Further- without really caring for the gimmick it will break at one point and hopefully that point is not during a performance. End result- if I have to worry about the gimmick breaking when I can achieve the exact same effect without having to use a gimmick- then I can't see how this is a step forward. I am surprised of those that say this is good when other methods already out are so much cleaner which you do not have to worry about anything breaking.

RNK
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-09-12 08:48, RNK wrote:
Anyone get this yet? A friend of mine bought this and shared with me the workings. Now- this is not a knock against Francis- he seems to be a very nice person- but as far as the effect- I can't see how this is a step forward in the TnR plot. I believe it's a step backwards- when the exact same effect can be done without worrying if a certain something may break during performance. Not to mention you have to use another certain something to achieve the end result. Further- without really caring for the gimmick it will break at one point and hopefully that point is not during a performance. End result- if I have to worry about the gimmick breaking when I can achieve the exact same effect without having to use a gimmick- then I can't see how this is a step forward. I am surprised of those that say this is good when other methods already out are so much cleaner which you do not have to worry about anything breaking.

RNK

I've used this for almost a month and have had zero issues. Worry about breakage? I've made others up in different deck colors/desgigns and I'd be more worried about mine breaking.

IT breaks ( thankfully or every kid on the planet would use it ). I couldn't imagine not using it just because there's a chance it will break.

If the SMACK gimmick did break in time, so what? It's torn up pieces of card, so it still looks exactly what it should be. If anyone couldn't recover from this, they should take up stamp collecting.

Ever see the outakes on some prjects? DL's are missed, coins dropped, the deck not set up in order. All sorts of things happen in performance.

A well known Magician did a coin trick for David Blaine and his flipper broke right in David's hand. "Things" happen.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-09-12 11:46, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-12 08:48, RNK wrote:

RNK

I've used this for almost a month and have had zero issues. Worry about breakage? I've made others up in different deck colors/desgigns and I'd be more worried about mine breaking.

IT breaks ( thankfully or every kid on the planet would use it ). I couldn't imagine not using it just because there's a chance it will break.

If the SMACK gimmick did break in time, so what? It's torn up pieces of card, so it still looks exactly what it should be. If anyone couldn't recover from this, they should take up stamp collecting.

Ever see the outakes on some prjects? DL's are missed, coins dropped, the deck not set up in order. All sorts of things happen in performance.

A well known Magician did a coin trick for David Blaine and his flipper broke right in David's hand. "Things" happen.

See your point Zombie- but the main point is this effect can be accomplished without the gimmick required in SMACK.

RNK
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
You can do many effects without gimmicks: Haunted pack, Triumph, 3 Card Monte, Coins Across, 3-FLy....

......but they sure do come out with a lot of gimmicks for those. Gimmicks can add a special something to effects that can't be done with just sleight of hand ( by mere mortals ).

Horses for courses.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-09-12 12:03, Zombie Magic wrote:
You can do many effects without gimmicks: Haunted pack, Triumph, 3 Card Monte, Coins Across, 3-FLy....

......but they sure do come out with a lot of gimmicks for those. Gimmicks can add a special something to effects that can't be done with just sleight of hand ( by mere mortals ).

Horses for courses.

True- to each his own. Though- in the same sense some come out with gimmicks that do not enhance an effect that can be done with minimal sleights as I feel this is one of them. JM's Decent accomplished this with less sleights and gimmicks as required in SMACK.

RNK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SMACK! by Francis Menotti (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL