We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Magic that happens in the-- (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
-----spectator's hand.

Can you name some tricks/routines and where to find them?

I'll name one:

Scotch and Soda. but that one uses a gaff. I'm curious, as to whether there are coin magic that can be done in the spectator's hand that doesn't use any gaff.

:)

thanks!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The copper/silver transposition is a good start, though it's easier to simply suggest you spend some time in Bobo's.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Peter Marucci's ungimmicked Scotch and Soda.

Also, there are a couple of simple switches in Revolutionary Coin Magic.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
David Roth's Winged Silver, shell coins across, ungimmicked copper/silver transpo's are very strong. ANy routine where the last coin magically appears in their hand is good in my opinion.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Fred Kaps Version of the C/S Transposition, using a Sun and Moon Gaff...

Francis Carlyle's handling of the C/S transpo using a silver dollar and a penny, with the silver dollar sized Penny for the payoff...

Somebody help me with this one - I think it is in Bobo - you apparently affect the spectators sense of touch and sight by pushing a spot on his elbow - first he CAN see and feel the coin, then he CANNOT feel it, next he CANNOT see it, then you reverse the process and he can feel, then see the coin again... Ring any bells? I'll look it up tonight, but I have done this for years in conjunction with:

A Francis Carlyle coin vanish that appeared in a Phoenix magazine. A coin is shown, put in the left hand, and the magician, who is smoking, blows a puff of smoke at his hand and opens it, the coin having completely vanished. The spectator, after the coin has vanished, holds his hand out, palm up. The magician holds his hand palm down over the spectators hand and rubs his hand against the spectators so that the spectator can feel that there is nothing there. With thier hands palm to palm the magician blows a puff of smoke at the hands and the spectator FEELS the vanished coin re-materialize on his palm!

Coins Across - you can do the final coin into the spectators' hand. This has been done in many versions, and several different ways. However, more impressive is to do the entire trick, one coin at a time, into the spectators hand. I have two methods for this - I'm sure others have methods as well, and if you are thinking along these lines, it is easy to come up with something that will work for you...

Liepzig's Pride - otherwise known as the Cap and Pence, The Stack of Quarters, Nickel Saver (Scotty York's version), Whisper (Roger Klause's version, and one of the best in a long time to my mind), etc., etc., etc... Can and should all be done with the coins penetrating the spectators' hand. Use another spectator to catch the coins and you really have an "in the spectator's hands" trick. Don't forget to look up the Al Baker methods in "Pet Secrets" and in "Magical Ways and Means", they offer different approaches to the gaffed stack and to the cap...

Expansion of Texture and the ??? I'm drawing a blank here, but the second half happens in the spectators hands - you first remove the coin of choice from the handkerchief, then with the spectator holding the remaining coin and the ends of the handkerchief, you PUT IT BACK! It's in Bobo, Tenkai has a great version, so does Vernon. I have tried all these methods and have settled on a hybrid that Jack and I worked out some 25 years ago. Tenkai was a major influence, but the Tenkai book by Magic LTD (Lloyd Jones) is long out of print (try H&R)...

I do every one of the above effects, and have for over two decades. They are solid, "in the spectator's hands", magic. They are NOT easy to do, but they are well worth the research, practice, and minor monetary investment (in some cases). Please, if you decide to do this material, give it all the care and attention to detail it demands - you'll be repaid a thousand fold if you do, and embarrassed beyond your wildest fears if you don't!

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
Quote:
On 2003-12-12 22:55, pchosse wrote:

Somebody help me with this one - I think it is in Bobo - you apparently affect the spectators sense of touch and sight by pushing a spot on his elbow - first he CAN see and feel the coin, then he CANNOT feel it, next he CANNOT see it, then you reverse the process and he can feel, then see the coin again... Ring any bells? I'll look it up tonight, but I have done this for years in conjunction with:

you must be thinking of Glenn Harrison's The Pulse Trick.

Derrick
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2003-12-12 23:16, dchung wrote:
[]

you must be thinking of Glenn Harrison's The Pulse Trick.

Derrick

Thanks Derrick!

That's it exactly. Without Bobo at hand the names of these things sometimes escape an aging mind.

The Pulse Trick has all the makings of an extraordinary little piece of theater. The plot is offbeat, and interesting to virtually everyone. It needs a bit of help, as you will see if you try it as is in the book. That's why I combined it with the Carlyle effect I mentioned in my first post. I have also altered the handling and presentation slightly in the primary effect, but you will figure that out for yourself if you play with it.

The plot's the thing! Work with this one and you'll have a helluva fun piece to do anytime any where, with one coin, no gaffs, in the spectator's hand and a really interesting, unusual plotline! What more can you ask for out of a magic trick, huh?

Thanks Again, Derrick...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Perfect for strolling: The David Williamson chinc-a-chinc/coins across routine on the palm up hands of two spectators!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
The top secret Tenkai handling of "Expansion" was also hidden in print in the Pallbearer's Review, which is also hard to find, but not impossible. That routine alone is worth the hunt.

I think the second part Paul mentioned is simply the second half to the Vernon routine. The Vernon routine is in Bobo's, the Vernon Book of magic (I believe) and a later version of just the second half, using a borrowed ring is described as "All Sound and Fabric" in the "Chronicles". That is also an excellent "in the hands" effect.

Kainoa Harbottle has been featuring a coins across where the last two coins arrive in spectators' hands, (it feels more like a repeat than a progression)See "Deja Flew" from "Coins on Edge".

Don't overlook a coin that bends in the spectator's hand, or one that passes through fabric into his hand, or off a ribbon thus, or Geoff Latta's "Fisting C/S", or Geoff's in-the-hands version of "Silver Extraction"

Joe Rindflesh (did I miss a vowel?) has some very nice work with coins going through spectator's hands, and Greg Wilson seems to have a certain genius for getting into the spectator's space with this sort of routine. (under the spectator's watch, on the back of her hand, etc.)

And for you lovers of dealer-made magic (there is a lot of good stuff) don't forget Lethal Tender, the coin that vanishes from spectator's hand and appears in a matchbook ("Presto Penny"?) or the penny that becomes a dime in the spectator's hand when tapped by a pen.

And finally, think about Ammar's "Incredible Coins Across" or somesuch. You know, the one that fooled Copperfield.

Oh, and a favorite sleeper: Steve Spill's "coin on the forehead" gag where the spectator frowns a dime off his forehead, but a jumbo coin drops into his hands. See the MAJ.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4185 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
In my COINvention notes and on my knochout coin magic DVD, I have a routine where a coin travels into a purse held by a spectator (The Dream). There are also two great routines in Bobo using a copper and silver coin, and a hankerchief.
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
oldguy
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of oldguy
I did the pulse trick about 20 years ago while waiting on a golf tee, with one of the foursome I was in. I recently saw the lady at a party and she still remembers it. It's a great trick, well worth learning. Tom
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
Wasn't there something called "Sensory Control"? The same effect as The Pulse Trick but done with a Jumbo coin? Any Ideas whos it is? Did I get the name right? Argh curses on my bad memory!
Jason
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Didn't Jason Randall publish a fine routine that used "The Pulse Trick" to lead into copper/silver transpo?

same problem here--not enough memory
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
Peter Marucci's non gimmicked Scotch and Soda is a fine routine. I give great thanks to Peter for kindly sharing this with me. If you pm him and ask nicely you may be similarly blessed
Shanester
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
In Star's of Magic Scarne does a copper silver coin routine where a silver coin in the spectators hand changes to the copper, then one is made to pass through his pocket.
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
835 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
On Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Money Miracles doesn't he do some kind of variation to the pulse trick. I seem to recall him doing it after his coin flurry routine, anybody know what I'm talking about? My DVDs are all stored up as I was just painting my room so I can't get to the name.

-Bill
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Jason just mentioned that. The routine is called Sensory Control and it's done with a jumbo by Bob Elliot. I recently saw him lecture and do the routine live. I've always liked the routine but it does have some angle drawbacks for a cocktail party crowd. It can be found on Ammar's Easy to master Money Miracles Volume 2 I believe.
Keith Yeung
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Keith Yeung
Its easy to do Miracles 2

The one with the flurry and the jumbo Penny
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I do a routine where I use a variation of the Bobo Switch but instead of switching it in my hand I switch in their's (shielding it with my hand). It is a beautiful switch and works every time.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2946 Posts

Profile of fonda57
David Roth's The Fugitive Coins is a good in the hands routine.
I j
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Magic that happens in the-- (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL