The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Starting cups and balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I too am recently starting the cups (decided to expand my horizons). I actually purchased an aluminum set that looks very nice and professional. People don't even know they are aluminum. They ran about 12 dollars...so if I don't like working with them...I am only out 12 bucks.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
I have "Now you see it, now you don't" by Bill Tarr. Is the book good enough for me to learn some basics?

Do I need a close-up pad for cups and balls?
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
436 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I don't think you would need a close up pad for the cups and balls.It is hard to keep the balls from rolling around on a table but you can just put down a towel. When I am doing table hopping I don't carry around a mat. I just lay down a napkin and it works fine to keep the balls from rolling all over the place.
Shawn D
DwightPA
View Profile
Regular user
Dwight Powell
113 Posts

Profile of DwightPA
Limhanchung,

Yes, I think that Tarr's book would give you a good basic start. Once you've learned that, Michael Ammar's tapes would be a good next step.

Dwight
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
ShawnD- if you don't have a close up pad, & are short on $$, try a large piece of felt. Anything that gives friction to slow down the rolling of the balls will work well.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I saw a nice routine in an Ian Adair book using plastic flowerpots.

The Ramsay routine uses really simple props, cork balls and two ice cream cups and two tomatos.

Much of the Vernon routine will work with coffee cups and napkins.

Dude, save your money and just buy a couple of good books. The right props are those that suit your performing environment. You could get the nice silver cups or take that same money and buy most every book that describes the trick and learn them all. Try NOT to compromise on this. I suggest learning the WHAT and HOW before getting involved with the props.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you are a rank beginner, the Vernon routine may be a little beyond your skills, but it is a good goal to shoot for, or at least a good stopping place along the road.

Good books would be my first choice, my second would be the Ammar DVD's.

But I would get a decent beginner's set of cups. The copper cups from Bazar de Magia are very nice for the money. I have a friend who felt inspired to really work hard on the Vernon routine when I gave him a set of those for his birthday. Just a couple of months ago, he placed second in the Louisville magic club close-up competition and received lots of nice compliments on the work he did.

But when it comes to cups and balls -- books rule!!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
What is the difference between aluminium,brass and copper cups?
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
Quote:
On 2003-12-28 10:49, limhanchung wrote:
What is the difference between aluminium,brass and copper cups?

Big difference is weight with aluminium being the lightest. Personally I did my first cups and balls with plastic cups from my son's magic set... Smile

Smile
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The Ramsay routine has been overlooked by many. It is fantastic and you just use ice cream cups painted or plain. Ramsay painted them with silver paint.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The four ounce cups of ice cream are pretty good for that routine. And come with covers.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
638 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Check out Dai Vernon's routine in "Stars of Magic", you get a top notch book for a decent price and it has much more than just his impromptu cups and balls routine. Definitely one of the best books in my collection. The Ammar book is nice, but if you are unfamiliar with the routine, it can get confusing. Just be sure to focus your practice and not get ahead of yourself.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
If you really don't want to put out any money to buy some possibly expensive props, you might look at the routine in Tarbell's "Course In Magic" (volume 1). It uses common paper coffee cups, and 1" sponge balls.

This full routine will give you the basics and ends with a final load of a lemon, an onion, and a potato under the cups.

This'll give the look and flavor of a cup and ball routine. An added advantage is that it doesn't look "proppy". It's an almost impromptu effect, and you can use it to introduce a sponge ball routine.

That way you can try out the routine and decide for yourself if you like the basic effect, and if you are willing to make the investment in time and effort to learn the routine.

The Tarbell is a basic investment in every serious magician's library, and you can use the basic principles of the other material in the book as a jumping-off point for many routines, and effects.

Smile

Smile Happy New Year !!
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
pepijn
View Profile
Regular user
Utrecht (the netherlands)
134 Posts

Profile of pepijn
Hi, I am a little confused. I have absolutely no, but then I mean no, knowledge of cups and balls. But I do want to start because it is an incredible piece of magic!!!!!!

But now what I am confused about is what to start with; Michael Ammars complete cups and balls, table hopping cups and balls, Dai Vernon.

Just wondering
greetings pep
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5354 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Reread this thread again! Especially take note of the fifth post (one made by Pete Brio).

The Ammar tape set includes the Dai Vernon routine. The Table Hopping Cups and Balls is a two-cup routine with strengths and weaknesses (discussed at length here at the Café. Try a search on it).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
pepijn
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of pepijn
Quote:
On 2003-12-12 20:31, Pete Biro wrote:
You can buy really good enough cups on ebay for not too much money... Learn a BASIC routine, the best one being the Vernon Cups and Balls. The Stevens Greater Magic Series Video on the cups and balls gives you all you need. After you decide you like the trick and can do it well enough to add onto your moves, etc., THEN the Ammar material would help. But I think it is too much for a starting point.

I am really getting a little confused here. I though Pete Biro is saying that Ammar's tapes/dvd's are a little to difficult to start on but now according to Harry Murphy it is included. I searched the net and for instance this site: http://murphysmagicsupplies.com/catalog/......lls.html does say that it is included but is the rest of the material to difficult or to advanced to start with. That's just what I didn't quite get.
But thanks anyway. I am going to search some more boards and use the search fucntion and there was something with last years archive, I think I'll take alook over there as well.

thanks all!! these forums are really teaching me a lot!
greetings Pepijn
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I don't think it was me that comment on Ammar's tapes, what I WAS SUGGESTING was the Stevens video that shows several different routines and teaches them all, so you can see the various ways to go.

It is at http://www.stevensmagic.com

And, as said, go back and re-read the posts.

And, just start doing the cups with anything around, tin cans, cups, bowls ANYTHING just start learning to do the basic passes and loads.

And hey, you might come up with some of your own ways.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
The Stevens Cups & Balls Teach In DVD shows 4 C&B performances, including Michael Ammar's routine done by Michael Ammar. They are all very entertaining and educational.

The Ammar Complete Cups & Balls DVDs teach basic techniques, and more advanced techniques, but does not teach Michael Ammars routine. It teaches the Dai Vernon Routine (and other more simple routines building up the the Vernon routine).

I started with the Mark Wilson routine as taught in his complete course in magic book and highly recommend it. Then buy the Stevens Teach In DVD. It is so entertaining and great to see multiple performer's renditions of the Cups & Balls.

Don't worry about metal cups for a while. You can find some great plastic ones at the grocery store that will stack nicely for the Wilson rouinte.
Magic is fun!!!
pepijn
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of pepijn
Thanks a lot all of you.

I really apreciate the help!! (smile)

thank you very much Mr. Biro for clarifying. I misinterpretated totally my fault. My appologies. I am definitly going to look in to the stevens Cups & Balls teach in dvd. It looks very promosing.

Thanks a lot!
greetings
Pepijn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Starting cups and balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL