The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Where to get gigs for a beginner? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Also, even though residencies won't pay all that much, the sheer amount of contacts you'll make - plus gigs at private parties and so on...makes it all worthwhile in my opinion...but! saying all that - entirely depends on what you want to do, how you want to do it, and if you want to perform close-up or stage...
I've asked to be banned
Bill Brunelle
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Bill Brunelle
I agree, Mindpro. Part of the whole point of performing a lot is to develop the ability to practicing putting your attention on what's happening in the audience and the surrounding environment instead of on yourself and the mechanics of your routine. When people were agonizing over what effects to do in what order and for what venues, Patrick Page would (half) exasperatedly tell them, "Just pick 6 tricks and go out and do them." His point was that just doing them, in any order, in front of real people would result in you learning more than any amount of advice in the world could teach you.
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Hi mindpro,
Fair enough questions.
I am in my mid 30s and ideally would like to perform on a Stage for 40+ adults (number not age).It is straight mentalism that I perform,not comedy or mystical, they are just not my style, however I would like to think that in my patter that I get a few laughs and everyone has a good time. Maybe it is more caberet that I am thinking of but I don't know your definition of that.
I have done one performance already and really loved every minute of it. I just want to more. My sister hooked me up for that performance which was a 40 birthday party. I put a lot of serious thought into it and I was very happy with it and got great feedback.just interested in doing more Smile
I don't claim how I do any particular effects, I prefer to leave that up to the audience. I have apersona in my head but I don't vocalise it if that makes any sense.

Thanks,
Sea
I love post its Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10177 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Wow, delayed duplicate post, that's talent.
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Smile
I love post its Smile
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Thanks everyone for the great advice, in pm too.
I have taken some notes and will put a plan of action together.
Cheers,
Sea
I love post its Smile
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1537 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
This is one of the better threads I've seen in a while. Lots of useful information here.
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1320 Posts

Profile of bond19
With an over abundance of effects for sale, there is comparatively nothing published on selling yourself and getting gigs. I guess this is primarily two fold. First, most people interested in magic are hobbyists and casual performers. Second, it's much easier to sell a 'secret' than a business manuscript. For those wanting a tonne of solid advise on how to achieve selling your act, I suggest watching and re watching Oz Pearlmas corporate penguin lecture with a pen and notepad to hand. Oh, and then going out and working through what Oz suggests. He's a top worker and one of the busiest in the business (I hear), so why not learn from a man who has gone out there and done it.

Great thread, and thanks to everyone who's contributed.

Chris
Synesthesia
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Synesthesia
Quote:
On 2013-09-07 05:17, bond19 wrote:
With an over abundance of effects for sale, there is comparatively nothing published on selling yourself and getting gigs.

Which makes me think: OP, as you navigate this challenge, you should consider noting down what you learn and turning into a book of advice and experiences later. Might be a hit! It could begin:

EFFECT: Performer gets booked for a gig.
METHOD: ...
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Smile
Sounds like a plan. If you could review it next week for me I'll release it by months end. Its called 'the tried and tested win win guide to getting gigs' if you could mention that it is pure gold I'd really appreciate it
;-)
Sea
I love post its Smile
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Smile
Sounds like a plan. If you could review it next week for me I'll release it by months end. Its called 'the tried and tested win win guide to getting gigs' if you could mention that it is pure gold I'd really appreciate it
;-)
Sea
I love post its Smile
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
Quote:
On 2013-09-07 15:03, Synesthesia wrote:
Quote:
With an over abundance of effects for sale, there is comparatively nothing published on selling yourself and getting gigs.

Which makes me think: OP, as you navigate this challenge, you should consider noting down what you learn and turning into a book of advice and experiences later. Might be a hit! It could begin:

there are a few products on getting bookings. Docc Hilford's Perfect Paid Performances (which he's started a 7 or so week long teleseminar for recently) and Drew McAdam's Making Money from Magic, for instance.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
Quote:
On 2013-09-07 15:03, Synesthesia wrote:
Quote:

there are a few products on getting bookings. Docc Hilford's Perfect Paid Performances (which he's started a 7 or so week long teleseminar for recently) and Drew McAdam's Making Money from Magic, for instance.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
John Raff M
View Profile
Loyal user
Republic of Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of John Raff M
Hey Sea,
Hope all is well. Maybe this is worth a read? http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=5&91

Best,
John. Smile
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Thanks John, good thread there. All good here, hope you're keeping well too.

Thanks,
Sea
I love post its Smile
Bill Brunelle
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Bill Brunelle
I agree that Oz Pearlaman's approach to the business and marketing of magic in his Penguin corporate lecture is right on. I don't agree that there isn't a bunch of other stuff out there, but his is the best I've seen, and I've only watched the first half of it so far. He's concise, thorough, and packs much more up to date information and approaches than the stuff I've seen for 5 to 10 times the price.
And he covers restaurants as well as corporate bookings. Hard to go wrong with it for 30 bucks.

Quote:
With an over abundance of effects for sale, there is comparatively nothing published on selling yourself and getting gigs. I guess this is primarily two fold. First, most people interested in magic are hobbyists and casual performers. Second, it's much easier to sell a 'secret' than a business manuscript. For those wanting a tonne of solid advise on how to achieve selling your act, I suggest watching and re watching Oz Pearlmas corporate penguin lecture with a pen and notepad to hand. Oh, and then going out and working through what Oz suggests. He's a top worker and one of the busiest in the business (I hear), so why not learn from a man who has gone out there and done it.

Great thread, and thanks to everyone who's contributed.

Chris
vinh.giang
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
132 Posts

Profile of vinh.giang
Such great advice from everyone. I will come at this from a slightly different perspective as I run quite a few businesses. The best way to start getting gigs either paid or free, is to approach the business with how you are doing to add value to their customers in mind. When I first started I came up with a simple list of reasons why most restaurants should hire me, I learnt the points and would meet restaurant managers for lunch and pitch the idea to them. It look about 5 tries before I got my first resident gig at a restaurant. I have since stopped working in restaurants, but it definitely helped when our conversations began with "I believe I can add value to your business by....."

I am not sure how things work where you are, but definitely sit down and think hard about what value you can add to the business and trust me if you deliver on the value that you promise to add, they will definitely add value back to you in the form of money! Good luck mate, all the best Smile
"Rather a mind opened by wonder, than one closed by belief."

www.vinhgiang.com.au
www.facebook.com/askvinh
www.twitter.com/askvinh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Where to get gigs for a beginner? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL