The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What would you give a (budding) magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
I “teach” a few people magic. I do this as a byproduct of demonstrating magic in a magic shop. From time to time someone shows a more than passing interest. I recently gave a young person an Okito Box and a David Roth DVD of Silk tricks and his wonderful instructions on the Okito Box.

What would you give (in the 25.00 to 50.00 range) to a young magician that is handling; thump tips, bill changes, and basic coin handling rather well?

Bob
Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Bob,
The Okito box and a good book, tape, or DVD on its handling sounds ideal to me.
Or perhaps a half-dollar shell and a C/S coin.
(And, of course, the appropriate books, tapes, etc. to go with them.)

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I'd give them the Royal Road to Card Magic, and BoBo's Modern Coin magic. These cover basics and would start them on the right track. I think you'd only spend about $40.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
espalding
View Profile
New user
St. Louis
59 Posts

Profile of espalding
Royal Road to Card Magic and Bobo's book are each at Amazon.com for under $10. So after these, you'd still have enough money left for a DVD. I've really enjoyed Daryl's Fooler Doolers because of the range of magic taught and the performances he gives. I've found it very helpful just to watch the way he interracts with the audience.

Eric.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Shows you how long it's been since I bought them.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
amshake
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of amshake
Tarbell Books to start his collection, a thumb tip, or my first trick, a hot rod! Smile
Magic Geek
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
How about giving him an application to SAM or IBM?
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
A large mirror to practice in front of.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
Sean
View Profile
Loyal user
No Cal
201 Posts

Profile of Sean
The Mark Wilson book.
JesterJ
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JesterJ
Quote:
On 2003-12-15 13:29, Sean wrote:
The Mark Wilson book.

I'll agree with this. My real start with magic came because of the Mark Wilson Complete Course on Magic.

Jester J
espalding
View Profile
New user
St. Louis
59 Posts

Profile of espalding
You can get the Mark Wilson book on eBay cheap these days. I got mine form under $10, including shipping and handling. The book is very "broad" but not very "deep". It has basic handling techniques for virutally everything from cards to coins to cup/balls to sponge balls to stage magic, but if you're really interested in one area, say cards, then you're going to move on to something else pretty quickly.

Eric.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Blindbo:

I did belong to both, many years ago. I recently sent a young kid to a SAM meeting and he and his mother found them not too friendly. I have found that SAM is not that kid friendly.

That boy and his mother did however go to the SAM New York Show and liked it.

Bob
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
I like the above posts...why?
Because I am new to magic and I have the books you mention..........Bobo, Royal and Mark's.

I love em...........it's like a whole new universe.
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
Spongeballs and their variations. e.g. ball to cube, or multiplying sponge balls (with instructional video)
Thumb Tip (also with instructional video)
Hot Rod
Ball And Tube
and books mentioned above... though I would prefer a video to start. Like one of Michael Ammar's or David Roth.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I think books are a better idea instead of just getting him a trick.

Anabelle Smile
Will Gordon
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
124 Posts

Profile of Will Gordon
Definitely the Mark Wilson Complete Course on Magic. Covers everything from A to Z.
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
I think a book is the best choice. Take the time to mark your three favourite effects, sections or essays. Make sure that the book is signed by you and that you wish the student well with his future learning. Your student will treasure it.

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
threadz
View Profile
New user
TN.
37 Posts

Profile of threadz
Cubs and Balls and cups and balls booklet or dvd
sponge balls
I think the fundamentals that will help teach sleight of hand and will open doors for other tricks.
www.xtrememagicshop.com

where the magic is limited only by your Imagination!
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
Royal Road, Bobo's Coin Magic, Corinda (the 3 so called bibles).
Other than those, Mark Wilson's Complete Course... or maybe even the first few Tarbell books, they are a great way to get introduced to magic.
Cups and Balls Set? Okito Box coupled with a Boston Box set...
A trick to get them to learn the elmsley and familiarise them with packet tricks.

Stay away from DVD's, s/he shouldnt get into the habit of learning magic from DVDs/videos, although many good books/effects are coming out on DVD the tradition remains in the literature Smile
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Sponge Balls, Royal Magic sponge ball dvd, RRTCM, and Modern Coin Magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What would you give a (budding) magician? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL