The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mental affinity (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Some of you might be interested in a project I've been making which I call Mental Affinity. I assume similar devices are commercially available but not being much of a mentalist I don't know. Anyway, I made this one for about $35. Here's my first tryout with it - it's not polished but the spectator reaction is genuine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3E7SP8oeds

The plans to make it are available at magicnook.com in the magictronics
Jolyon Jenkins
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
How long did it take you to make it ?
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Hard to say - I did little bits over a long time in the gap between other projects, and there are always false starts and blind alleys. If I did it again, I guess I could do it in a weekend. The electronics is quite easy - the woodworking bits and finishing always take me longer than I expect.
Jolyon Jenkins
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1261 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Nice! I like the simple, innocent look of wood, and I like the reveal.
How many colors can the spectator chose at the same time?
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
The trouble is though, I'd say very few of us would be able to make it, and by the time we bought all the stuff needed, a few fake starts and so on...could become quite costly...

certainly not faulting YOU, as your stuff is always well explained and thorough - I just think its a shame that you don't sell them complete for those of us who can't/won't DIY...and charge a bit more!
I've asked to be banned
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Only one colour can be chosen at a time. Well actually they could choose two, if each was from a different row. Maybe I could think of a routine for that.

If you can read, use a soldering iron, and do simple woodwork, then you can make this. It's mostly adapting things that are ready made.
The point of the ebooks is that I make the false starts for you, so it should be pretty straightforward by the time you make it. None of the parts is so expensive that you would lose a lot of money if you accidentally destroyed it. You'd just waste your time (and learn something).

And time is the reason why I don't sell them ready-made. If I charged for my time at a commercial rate, I wouldn't be selling them for a bit more, they'd be a whole lot more. And I already have a job, and a life!
Jolyon Jenkins
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I can neither solder, nor do I have basic carpentry skills! and I don't own either sets of equipment...shame!
I've asked to be banned
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1261 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Ok, I just ordered it. I already know who I am going to ask to make it for me ;-)
I like the fact the spectator could chose two colors (or that two spectators could pick a color each); I like the fact it can be colors or (I guess) symbols, shapes... I like the fact you can switch boxes... All this adds possibiities for different presentations... Ideas are already starting to come Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Would be nice if you could make them little pots of paint...
I've asked to be banned
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
If you like the idea of having the spectator choose one and hide it in her fist, all that's required is to have whatever is chosen be small enough to hide in a fist, like Jolyon's original counters, or small votive candles, or small pots of paint, or candies, etc. If you wanted to make a larger one with larger objects,you might have the spectator pick one and drop it into a bag and you do the same. This is really versatile, and adaptable to many different objects. It is not dependent on color, either. The counters can all be the same color and simply decorated with different runes or symbols or pictures.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Incidentally, the boxes are not interchangeable. You have to use equivoque to make sure the spectator gets the right one.
Jolyon Jenkins
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1261 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Quote:
On 2013-09-08 15:48, rjenkins wrote:
Incidentally, the boxes are not interchangeable.

That's what I figured from the pdf. Anyway, I don't see why you would ask the spectator which box she prefers. Don't burden the presentation with equivoque nor anything else that would just make the procedure less direct: give the spectator her box, take yours and don't make anything special about it. They're just wooden boxes with the same colors inside!

Quote:
Only one colour can be chosen at a time. Well actually they could choose two, if each was from a different row. Maybe I could think of a routine for that.

The original routine is enough for a start, with a few adjustments:
- have 4 counters painted in cold colors, the rest in warm colors. Put the "cold" counters on a row, the others on the other row.
- tell the spectators she's to take out one of each, one with her left hand and one with her right hand.
- then, you can turn around and say something like "a gentle person like you chose to pick a warm color first. You thought of red but liked the softer orange better, and you put it in your left hand --the hand of your heart (at that point, you face her and place your right hand near her left, and you open it, queing her to open hers). Then, you unconsciously dismissed black and hesitated between green and... blue (at that point you open your left hand and point at her right's) which you picked."

As you see, there are boni (bonuses?):
- you can tell what group she picked first, what color she picked first, and in what hand she's holding which!
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Thanks, I like that very much. The one thing you don't want, though, is for them to be changing their mind, taking them out, putting them back etc. You risk them putting them back in the wrong place, and if two from the same group are out at once, things can go a bit strange. That's why when I did it I asked the girl to focus on the colour and decide before taking one out.

As far as equivoque goes, you can do it or not, but certainly don't make a big deal out of it. If you're going to do it, I think best to do it before the boxes are open, because then if they select "your" one, you can take it, open it and show the counters before asking them to open "their" one.
Jolyon Jenkins
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1261 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Quote:
The one thing you don't want, though, is for them to be changing their mind, taking them out, putting them back etc.(...) That's why when I did it I asked the girl to focus on the colour and decide before taking one out.

Yes. And asking her to make up her mind bofore is consistent with a prediction/influence presentation. Oh, how I hate it when I see a performer andlessly saying "do you want to change your mind? You can change your mind if you want to. And now, do you want to change your mind? Because, it's a free choice(*) and you could. I don't care. Change your mind, go ahead. No?" etc. lol.

(*)By the way, what's a "free choice"? Would it still be a choice if it wasn't free???
;-)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mental affinity (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL