The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Busy without any talent!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Tom Boleware - Spot on post!

I enjoyed a 30+ year performing career that built almost exclusively on word of mouth and being SEEN. Not one single other marketing effort in all those years did as much for me. It helps to have nice promotional materials, but these should be considered reinforcement to your own charm and abilities, not the honey that draws the flies to the pot.

What was alluded to earlier is very true... cream still rises to the top. Anyone can book a gig, once. Getting a repeat booking requires more effort. Many of the hacks will eventually burnout. The rest are most assuredly looking for new customers for every gig... either that, or they are simply lucky enough to have a long list of clueless clients.

For many years, my philosophy was simple:

1) Perform the best show I was capable of giving at a fair price.

2) Act in a professional manner, with honest concern and respect for the client.

3) Do every show as if it might be an audition for my next one.

4) Be flexible to contingencies.

5) Strive to have future and repeat clients want ME, and not "a magician".

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
I also agree with Gary and tom. Marketing can get you some 1st shows but if you aren't any good, word of mouth won't keep your calendar full because word will get out about you.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
The issue really isn't cut-and-dried. What do you think happens when the inexperienced youngsters are suddenly flooded with heaps of work?

They turn to the internet. There, they can easily learn how to keep a bunch of kids happy for a couple of hours. It might be magic, but equally, it could be games, quizzes, anything.

As long as one way or another they can satisfy their clients, they will do what they can.

I started that way, and I still work to that principle today.

I have no problem with youngsters starting out like this. But the weird, and dangerous thing, is when they expect to start out charging the full local rate.

That normally spells their demise, as they simply can't compete. But nevertheless, the current lifespan of such acts is about 3 years in my area, which would nicely see a student through college.

;)
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
A few years ago this little darlings forum was full of "cookbook magicians" who were told by certain people (you can do the math yourself) that all you gotta do is buy my DVD's, follow my easy to follow instructions, and you will have a neat little part time job, get out of the house on Saturday morning, and make a few bucks on the side. Thankfully all of those "cookbook magicians" have moved on, and left this forum to hard working people with a calling to do magic for kids.

What has happened to those "cook book magicians" you might ask? Well they are selling Amway today and have a large collection of how to become an instantly successful magician DVD's. Please don't ask me any questions about those "certain people" I mentioned here, because they are still around.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2013-09-08 22:31, jcrabtree2007 wrote:
Interesting post.
Still, as a parent , I am still seeking the referral or reviews on the entertainer or magician before I hire them. Word of mouth and referrals still reign supreme for me.

Spot on JCRABTREE.
May I say anymore.
rICKY
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Quote:
On 2013-09-08 16:30, Jolly Roger wrote:
I have a feeling this post may get me into trouble.....but it won't be the first time!! The world of children's entertainment is changing fast, and with it the way that children's entertainers obtain work is also changing. In the days before the internet, Yellow Pages was one of the only sources of advertising. This is how you would get bookings with new clients, and if you did a good job, you would get referrals or be asked back by the same clients. Talent mattered, and the talented ones amongst us never stopped working. Those without talent who never got referrals eventually returned to their day jobs.

Along comes the internet, and websites, and Facebook, and SEO, and smartphones etc. With all this at hand there are many young people who are becoming brilliant marketers, and have zero talent. They call themselves children's entertainers, and think they must be good because they have a full datebook. Being busy with shows does NOT mean you are necessarily any good!!! It just means you are internet savvy and a good marketer. I find all this very sad, as it lowers the bar of our great profession. Does anyone agree with me? I am not sure if anything can be done about this, so this post is really just an observation which may give you food for thought. I welcome your comments. JR

I noticed from the above quote you specifically target ``young people`` as if there are no``older people`` with internet marketing savvy or lousy shows. Your statement is a complete generalization with no basis in fact. What a load of bunk.
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
I think Harv joied this conversation with only the intention to stir the pot.
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Quote:
On 2013-09-09 17:10, jamiedoyle wrote:
I think Harv joied this conversation with only the intention to stir the pot.

No Jamie, I actually read his post and can see it for what it is.
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
No Harv,
I think you are quite taken with Roger. I'm sure he will see it as a sign of endurement to himself.

I don't believe there was any "targeting" in Roger's post - a simple generalization. Unless you see yourself as an old guy with no talent who uses the internet to market himself, I don't see the point of your jab.
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Quote:
On 2013-09-09 17:33, jamiedoyle wrote:
No Harv,
I think you are quite taken with Roger. I'm sure he will see it as a sign of endurement to himself.

I don't believe there was any "targeting" in Roger's post - a simple generalization. Unless you see yourself as an old guy with no talent who uses the internet to market himself, I don't see the point of your jab.

It doesn't matter to me whether you see the point or not. You are entitled to your opinion just like the rest of us. I am quite taken with Roger....are you homophobic?
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
[/quote]

It doesn't matter to me whether you see the point or not. You are entitled to your opinion just like the rest of us. I am quite taken with Roger....are you homophobic?
[/quote]

Well then my opinionated aquantance - post all the pointless drivle that you want.
What do you mean by "Homophobic"? I sense an accusation of biggotry here.
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Quote:
On 2013-09-09 17:46, jamiedoyle wrote:

[/quote]

Well then my opinionated aquantance - post all the pointless drivle that you want.

What do you mean by "Homophobic"? I sense an accusation of biggotry here.
[/quote]

Stop wasting your time and mine. I stand by what I said and if you don't agree or think I posted to stir up the pot that is your right in a free country.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
You've got to LOVE Harv the Hater!!! I think he is the only angry bus driver I know!!! Smile JR
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Hi Harv. Misunderstandings happen a lot on the internet. I believe JR put "young people" because they usually would know less of how to run a business. Older people would have more experience from life. JR meant nothing negative towards anyone by putting "young people" even though this is "The Little Darlings" forum.

This is a great thread he started. And it has a lot of creative and interesting post.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quite right Mike!!! I think Harv should take me out to dinner when I visit the professional children's entertainers in Toronto next year like Mark Lewis and Richard Lyn! Potty the Pirate may also be joining us!!! JR
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Quote:
On 2013-09-09 18:17, Jolly Roger wrote:
You've got to LOVE Harv the Hater!!! I think he is the only angry bus driver I know!!! Smile JR

In what way am I a hater Roger? Am I not free to express my opinion? You put out a statement and I thought it was a load of dog poo. Do you expect everyone to coddle you and agree with you? Yes, I am a bus driver as you well know and proud of it and I will retire in 2 1/2 years with 29 years on the job and a full pension. I didn`t start the jabs but I did totally disagree with you. Sorry I didn`t stroke your sorry ego.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I Love you HARV!!! Now, will you be paying for dinner? JR
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Quote:
On 2013-09-09 18:34, Jolly Roger wrote:
I Love you HARV!!! Now, will you be paying for dinner? JR

No you don`t and no, I won`t be paying for dinner. You made a statement about young people being good internet marketers and having lousy shows. Now back up that statement. Mike, thanks for trying to smooth the waters. I took Roger`s post literally and just want him to back up his statement with some facts.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
I will pay for dinner with you JR, Harv, Me, Mark and Tricky. Set a date and time. I know you personally JR and you are a great guy. I have known Harv for many years and he is a great guy too. Everyone is great!
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
But I do love you Harv..........really!!!! To prove it, I will buy YOU dinner!!!! Smile JR
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Busy without any talent!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL