We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » CNN article on ghosthunters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
314 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
910 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Hawes said the popularity of paranormal shows has added visibility to the field, but that some shows have damaged its credibility because they don't take a scientific approach to cases.

I think this is the most important quote. Also, I myself really dislike watching those paranormal shows, they do almost everything wrong compered to a simple (good) seance.

Btw, that south park episode (dead celebrities) is one of my favorites, really recommend watching it Smile
Reader discretion is advised.
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Ben Radford is an investigator who often publishes in Skeptical Inquirer magazine. According to his investigations, these "ghost hunting" shows inflate the flimsiest evidence of a ghost into something important and significant. Furthermore, they don't consider any natural/scientific explanation for the phenomenon. They label it paranormal without hesitation.

There are reasonable, understandable explanations for variations in temperature, electromagnetic fields, white spots on photos, etc. that paranormal attribute to supernatural causes. Of course, mentioning those explanations destroys the weirdness on which these shows depend.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
314 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
I don't believe many of the (so called) reality shows let facts get in the way of a good story.
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
314 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
I don't believe many of the (so called) reality shows let facts get in the way of a good story.
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
I worked in tv for 12 years as a digital effect artist and graphic designer before going my own way. Everything on tv is at bare minimum outlined and most times fully scripted. I always enjoy when someone is walking towards a camera and "discovers" something in between them and the camera. If you look into the history of what is being hunted or discovered it is pretty far off at times. It doesn't mean they are not fun to watch. ...just not real. They are not without merit as they shine a light on local attractions and legends that would be fun for interested parties to visit. It is no different that Pawn Stars or Oddities, etc. Obviously people don't go into a vegas pawn shop with Abe Lincoln memorabilia each week but it is fun to learn about the items and guess what they are worth before the sale price is revealed. Same with the ghost shows. Does it bug people that "did it before it was cool"? ...of course it does, what doesn't? All of the major shows have been to my town. I consider Ghost Adventures crew to be the most friendly and fun. Ghost Hunters were in and out but not unfriendly or rude and stuck to history for their investigations. Paranormal State flat out made things up, had the history wrong and therefore "found" things lingering in places they never were to begin with. They also reedited interviews to view as they wished as opposed to how they happened. Either way, I think these shows introduce us to exciting things we otherwise never knew existed and show us an inside view of places most fans can only afford to read about. People that are really into it have probably never even watched these shows. They are not made for them. They are made for people interested in the subject but not involved in it. They are digital Svengali decks. Meant for beginners that want a taste of "wow" without the work. Everyone doesn't have the time or money to chase ghosts around all day but they still want to enjoy what life has not afforded them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » CNN article on ghosthunters (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL