The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Would you vote for my favorite TUC routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
I shot a video of what has to be my favorite walkaround coin routine. I based it on Greg Eane's S.C.A.T. (Super Coins Across Table) (Apocalypse Vol 8 # 5 p 1057)

I loved the structure and principles of the routine but it was completely impractical for me since I never work with a mat and am usually standing. I reworked the handling for walk-around and added a coin-under-watch kicker. Using the TUC it's very visual, perfect for walkaround, and resets instantly.

In all honestly, I'm posting to solicit votes for my video on this online magic competition, but also I think you'll like the routine and maybe find a use for it.

The link is here if you're interested:

http://indi.com/s/fA603889F

There's no obligation to vote, but I hope you like the routine nonetheless.

Thanks guys!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Good job Michael Great routein.
Todd
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Pretty good. The last disappearing and reappearing coin was the strongest part of the routine, yet probably the easiest to perform with a TUC. You got one vote!
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Nice routine. I've been thinking about getting the tuc.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
The TUC is a great coin! I remember when I first handled the coin I was giddy with possibilities! It really took me awhile to find a place for it in my act but now it's a cornerstone.

Banzai, I've always felt that the weakest phase of most coins across is the final phase since the really magical vanishes involve groups of coins. Originally I was just going to do the multi-coin vanish I did in the beginning as the climax, but decided the coin-under-watch is a better finale.

Thanks everyone, for all the kind words!
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
There's actually another coin under watch routine in one of the videos in the competition you are in. Not nearly as good as your video. I think that misdirection (the way you used it) may be the best use for coin under watch. The way the one coin disappears in their own hand then reappears under their watch really is a one-two punch that even Marion Boykin (who rarely uses gaffed coins) would like.

The TUC really is so versatile. I was thinking of what other gaffs you could use for that part of the effect. Some folks have used a CSB for something similar - but that's a bit too bold for me - especially where you have a spec that doesn't listen like the one you were dealing with on your video. Same problem with using a shell. I know some folks will say a shell will work just as well, but the openness and casual way you flip the coin in his palm is such a great subtlety that you just can't do as well with a shell IMO. The TUC is just such a convincer.

Alan
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Great! I would have asked to add this routine to my book "TUC Appreciation" had I known.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Funsway,

If you ever publish a follow-up, I'd be happy to write it up. There are a lot of small details in this routine. It'd be an honor to be part of the collection. I bought all your TUC books from lybrary when I got my TUC and I'm very grateful for the work you and others have done!

Alan,

IIRC, Tommy Wonder did something like that with Socked Coins. I do some bold things but, like you, that straight-up makes me nervous.

It would be interesting to perform this with an Ambivalence coin but that may be a case of running when nobody's chasing you.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-09-10 13:08, Carducci wrote:

It would be interesting to perform this with an Ambivalence coin but that may be a case of running when nobody's chasing you.

I find that my Ambivalence gaff, while more secure, is not as smooth as my Morgan TUC. I still haven't found a place for it.

I think that the direction you went to add misdirection at the crucial point in the routine adds more "security" than using an Ambivalence would. As you say, no one is chasing you.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
While we are discussing misdirection, check out this amazing video passed along to me by my buddy in England, Sean Giles:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%......LVcX&s=1

I'm not sure who that fellow is, but wow that's a clinic.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Here's the real ultimate in misdirection... Paul Daniels onstage trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat. I have heard that people at his live show were completely fooled and never saw him switch the top hat out for another. You'll see why!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC5BwubD9gc

6 minute video which is worth watching, however to see just the misdirection part, start at about 3:40 and watch until a little after the 4:45 mark.

Jim
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Nice.

Thanks Jim.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Very amusing.
Todd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Would you vote for my favorite TUC routine? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL