The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind reading challenge response (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
If the question is asked from a Man,standing with a Woman!

I would reply..."Who's Melanie" ?

He,and his wife/girlfriend can discuss it on the trip home!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
After a show? I would just tell them politely you have finished and the performance is over. The only person you need to convince is the one paying your fee. you don't have to prove anything to anyone. Once the show is finished its finished.
Bard
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of Bard
Homer Arcana's new Q&A system was developed for this very situation, you can find out more through Dan Strange . . . Jerome might post a link to the details if asked in that he was a co-developer.

To me anyone calling themselves a "Mentalist" should possess the skills needed for dealing with this sort of schmuck, even if he/she is unwilling to write anything down. All you need to do is get them to focus on a single thing. . . a routine such as Finley's THOUGHT CHANNEL could work and for that matter, most any aspect of Muscle Reading.

You simply explain that you don't climb into a person's head and explore random thoughts but deal with thoughts that are being focused on. . . have him think of any card in the deck. . . now narrow things down to a given suit. . . now apply Banachek's idea of having them make their card jump out and shine brightly as you list the cards in that suit . . . or you can narrow things more, ultimately landing on their card PROVIDED you are studying their facial expressions, which will help you know things like High vs. Low, Odd vs. Even, etc.

Personally, I've only encountered this in bars where heavy drinking is afoot and a couple of times on the street when I've been putzing around with people. I don't recall ever having it happen at a show but that could be due to how my show is framed, my personal claim to things and the fact that my show is designed to put the power into the hands of the audience. . . I'm more of a guide than a performer.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Here are two that I like:

"I'm no more psychic than anyone here." (quoted from Richard Webster)

"I'm a complete fraud. It's all shennigans."

The second one is mine. When I use this on stage (Q & A: Do you really have psychic powers?) the believers still believe and the skeptics are still skeptical. The bonus to this answer is that I don't often get challenged after the show.

In those rare instances that it happens, I politely tell them to **** off.

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Bard
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of Bard
Quote:
On 2013-09-19 12:36, Scott Soloff wrote:
Here are two that I like:

"I'm no more psychic than anyone here." (quoted from Richard Webster)

"I'm a complete fraud. It's all shennigans."

The second one is mine. When I use this on stage (Q & A: Do you really have psychic powers?) the believers still believe and the skeptics are still skeptical. The bonus to this answer is that I don't often get challenged after the show.

In those rare instances that it happens, I politely tell them to **** off.

Best wishes,

Scott

. . . and sadly, using that second line ruins the spell you've created and hurts other performers by implying that we are all "frauds". . . that is not the course taken by a large part of the Mentalism community but part of a "recent" escalation designed to encourage a far more atheistic perspective and neuter the real power behind Mentalism and the psychology it actually uses when done properly.

I know that there are those that do not use the Psychic theme but they still require belief from their audience if they are to sell the idea that they use NLP or most any other analytical approach in their work.

Regardless your personal views, there are times when we need to consider the greater picture and how our independent actions affect others and their livelihood.

BTW. . . I didn't post my previous reply 3 times it was a system hick-up. I do support the fact that CMR is one of the more important skills for anyone claiming to be a Mentalist with billet work being #2 on that list.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Bard,

Thanks for weighing in. However, it looks different in print than its intended purpose.

Personally, I do not care for the modern approach where the mentalist claims no psychic abilities. Instead, he provides a grocery list of skills which makes him adept at reading people.

This is patently absurd. You can't reveal a spectator's inner most thoughts through observation, NLP, etc. Yes, you can do an effective cold reading, but that will not reveal a number, word or picture selected by the participant.

My flip response, "I'm a complete fraud. It's all shennanigans..." serves as a convincer and up to this point only confirms my authenticity. It serves the duel purpose of shutting up the person who invariably challenges me to "Read my mind,Dude" or "What am I thinking now?"

I realize that this approach is not for everyone. It does; however, suit my personality and works for me.

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Bard
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of Bard
Understood. . .

My usual come-back is the classic, "I don't read minds, I pick-up on thoughts" from that clarification I can take things a number of ways be it billet or CMR, a book test, etc. I've frequently found myself doing another 20 minute set as I clarify things for the challenger, his/her friends and the others that will gather around out of curiosity. But, I'm most usually given this challenge when I'm either on the streets or in a coffee house where people see my advertisements (T-Shirts, buttons, etc. -- based on an idea by Jheff Poncher, memory serving me right -- basically the ad slogan tells the public to challenge me).

I appreciate your perspective on things, Scott, I think you're pretty right on when it comes to those popular "explanations" people have been using the past 15 or so years; you can create a general personality overview using those techniques but you cannot discern thoughts. Physiologically you can detect various psychological factors and even health issues once you're adept at the techniques but again, this will not allow you to reveal an unspoken thought -- that can only be done via telepathy or some kind of sci-fi mind reading computer.

I think you're hit on something that would be worthy of discussion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind reading challenge response (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL