We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Living and the Dead (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
233 Posts

Profile of jglumley
So looking through my performance manual for my Darkspell and noticed I don't have a great living and dead routine. There is a pretty basic one suggested but I was wondering can anyone recommend anything for an awesome Living and the Dead performance?
The "18"
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
I add in a pulse stop to mine. Though I think dead or alive routines are really all about the power of your presentation and really getting your volunteer to attach emotion to the name/person that is dead.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Docc Hilford did a Doccinar of his DoA routine. It is excellent. Technically very easy but with multiple phases that build to a strong climax. Well worth picking up. Lots of great advice on pendulum work in there too.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
OnTiltSoon
View Profile
Special user
Barcelona
544 Posts

Profile of OnTiltSoon
I like the one in Jim Magus Arcana of Bizarre Magick, first you do the test, and then the spectator does it. Docc's is very good also.
- Joaquín Gasa Thomas
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
507 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
In Memory of Ashley Place by Bob Baker which can be found in Seance. It is my favourite.
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
My favorite Living and Dead test is Borodin's routine in "Final Curtain." Five people write names on small cards which are placed on the five points of a star. Candles are placed on each of the cards and lighted. The candles on the names of the dead go out while the candles on the living names remain lighted.

I have the spectators write the names of either friends or relatives. Two of the names are those of the deceased. I mention whether the person is a friend or relative as I locate the living and dead, using the condition of the candle on the card. I have found this routine very effective.

Final Curtain was translated from German by Bill Palmer. It may be difficult to find a copy. I recommend both this book and Sheherazade (note German spelling), also by Borodin.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3233 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I usually just look at their eyes; if they are closed I assume dead and get started with the embalming and if open, I assume they are dead and do the embalming as well. Probably running at least a 90% correct rate at the present time.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
If you stand before the open casket and watch the face of the deceased long enough.

They will let you know they are aware of your presence via eye movement beneath their closed eye lids.

A movement similar to REM in their newly realized slumber.

The movement when slowed, right to left and back again can code answers to any question you care to ask.

Kotah
jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
233 Posts

Profile of jglumley
I got a copy of Final Curtain by Borodin thanks for the info.
The "18"
Pomyles
View Profile
New user
Here
73 Posts

Profile of Pomyles
I have a presentation about vampires. In XIX° century litterature, they are often called the non-dead. Obviously they are not considered as alive. So, I have an effet in which some characters are tested as alive, others as dead and as a finale surprise there is a non-dead among them...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Living and the Dead (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL