The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Devil's Hank (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
I am on the search for an ordinary looking (read that as not flashy) Devil's Hank. About 18" would do very nicely. Any thoughts on where to look for a quality item fitting this description?

While I'm at it...what specific effects have you used the hank for?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
An ordinary looking Devil's hank? At first read that does seem an oxymoron.

For those who wear or carry a hankerchief the notion of oridinary depends entirely upon their style of dress. Jeans, tuxedo, slacks or a suit? Modern? Classic? Couture? Such are the matters of taste for which there is no dispute.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
<<An ordinary looking Devil's hank? At first read that does seem an oxymoron.>>

I think the word 'looking' takes the oxy out of it, unless all devil hanks have silk screened bunnies, stars, and abracadabra written on them.

I see your point to the style of wardrobe, though. Jeans for me, or dockers...that would be the look. Albeit from my experience, everything goes with jeans...even silk screened tuxedo tee shirts!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Blindbo,

I can’t seem to find the link, but I know that Danny Tong’s wife custom makes some cloth magic products (her Malini Egg Bag is amongst the best ever made) perhaps someone else here has her contact information.

Then there is Sandra Sisti (yep Jim’s wife) who will custom make you a Devils Hank to your specifications. Check her out at:

http://www.seamslikemagic.net/

Lynetta Welch also makes a fine line of cloth magic products. Her website is at:

http://www.fabricmanipulation.com/index.html

She may make you what you need.

These are fairly simple to make. I bought three heavy-duty bandanas and made myself one. Two bandanas used for the outside and the third to make the pocket. I used two buttons sewn inside the pair of hanks on the pocket side to help orient the hank when in use. I have no great sewing skill and managed to pull it off! Hey it’s only a straight-line stitch!

I use mine for a number of effects. For example I use it to produce a shot glass of Jack Daniels (tea) and latter in the same act I use it for a torn and restored, signed, jumbo card routine.

Hope some of this helps! Smile
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Thanks, Harry, for the sources. Seamslikemagic...what a great name!

I like your bandana idea best. I'm gonna give that one a shot. Oh, speaking of shots....tea...yeah, right!
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
I have a blue one from magicproshop... bizar de magicia (sp) is the brand I believe... works fine for me and no one has ever questioned the hank as a gimmick.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Blindbo, if you decide to make one, let us know how it turns out. I think that you will be surprised at how easy it is to do

Er…at least it looked like tea!
Smile
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Harry is right not too hard to make...just tedious, stabbed myself a few times...

I also made mine from a couple bandannas...mine is a slightly modified version that I use in a Q & A mindreading routine!...See U.F.Grants Fabulous Feats of Mental Magic...
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
The only time I use a Devils Hank is in the comedy routine Vanishing Bandanna and my routine I call Humpty Dumpty, which is a routine designed for children. It's basically a broken and restored egg routine with lots of fun by-play.
Daniel Faith
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Depending on what you are vanishing, you might want to check out the GoGo vanisher. Magicwarehouse has em.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Stewart James’ “Go-Go Vanisher” is a wonderful and easy to use prop. Along with Pat Pages “Paper to Bills” it is one of the most ripped off tricks on the shelves. Sadly, I find that many of the copies do not even mention the inventor in their instructions!

The reason that it is so often copied is that it is so very, very easy to make. It is manifestly easier to make than a Devils Hank! I have three, one from James and the other two I made my self (with James’ permission). I wanted a “look” in terms of fabric and color of the hank.

KSD is absolutely correct when he suggests using one, depending on what you want to vanish. Good suggestion!
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Blindbo:

I second Harry Murphy's recommendation of Stewart James’ Go-Go Vanisher. This cloth vanisher uses an ingenious principle to vanish things. It works on a different principle than the classic Devil's Handkerchief.

The only problem with the Go-Go Vanisher's that I've seen are thay they do look flashy. If you just want a simple classic devil's handkerchief, then I would suggest that you take a look at the classic Devil's Handkerchief manufactured by Bazar de Magia. It is quality inexpensive devil's handkerchief that is the correct size that you want.

Gerard
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
If you wish to contact Pauline Tong about some custom work the number is (941) 624-4459. I figured that it's okay to post the number since it's listed and Dan Tong puts his address on all of his lecture notes.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I made a Devil's hank from some allover patterned cloth. It was a kind of drab brown with very small gold spots on it, which did not catch the eye very much. It was easy to make.

If you make one from bandanas, wash them first to get rid of the sizing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I started making one from 3 bandanas a while ago and haven't gotten back to finishing it. Major pain in the buttocks without a sewing machine. Have to find someone with one.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
A really handsome black color Devil's Hank that I have came from the Spelling Binding Boxes trick. it has the table cloth linen feel, well made.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Jaz:There is a product called 'Unique Stitch".It is a fabric glue(tube) that I use all the time especially to put extra pockets in my jackets and vests.I am sure it will fit the bill for your DH.It is very strong and even washable.Best.

Rich
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
When I first started doing magic I used the Bazar de Magia Devils hank many times without a problem. It's not a "hank" by any means, more of a dinner napkin. The Go-Go is more of a silk and is great as well.

The Devils Hank Plus has all of the same qualities but it's designed so the "work" happens in a much more natural place. When you gather up the 4 corners of the hank to drop the object in.. the Devils Hank Plus just makes more sense.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Thanks for the tip Rich.
It just dawned on me that I've been using three bandanas which makes the Hank pretty thick.
Maybe using a thinner material for the inner and only two bandana may be better.
Will have to try that and the glue.
drmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of drmagic
For those of you looking for Dan Tong's products - he now has a web site: http://www.magicbypauline.com - great products and service.

Don
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Devil's Hank (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL