The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does This Sound Funny Or Is It Good Enough To Include in Comedy Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2013-09-12 11:29, Al Angello wrote:
I am an off beat comedian who does clumsy magic, and you seem to be a serious magician who tells funny jokes. They are two different animals, and I wish you the best.

Ohh yeah, I am a serious magician who also tries to tell funny jokes. Sometimes they bomb out and sometimes they get a genuine laugh amd sometimes just a "polite chuckle" ha ah ha.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-09-11 20:04, General_Magician wrote:
Quote:
It might be funnier if you added a pause and the end and then a final line;

"Last time that happened my wife foreclosed on my shirt."

Totally absurd, but absurdity often gets a laugh.

That seems like a good tagline. What was your technique for coming up with this finish? I like it, but that is your finish. I want to develop a good finish like you did and that would probably help me if I knew the technique. Or did you come up with that right off the top of your head?

There is no technique per se. It's just a matter of tightening the lines and seeing if something can be switched around or added.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
There is no technique per se. It's just a matter of tightening the lines and seeing if something can be switched around or added.

Once again, thanks for your help Bob! I appreciate it!
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
General your comedy is like most of your posts WAY too wordy.

BUT if that is your personality and you can get an audience to buy into it then you should use that. Don't change who you are, enhance who you are. Otherwise there is no continuity of character. Maybe the more flustered you bet the more words you use.

Decide who you are going to be FIRST then write for that style.

Now nobody take my first sentence out of context and tell me I am mean. I was making a point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
I'm a little late to the thread, but just a quick note: it's not "a lot of people had to foreclose on their homes," but rather "a lot of people had their homes foreclosed on." It's the bank that does the foreclosing.

That said, I don't find it funny in isolation, but perhaps it's funnier in a broader context. I think the reason I don't find it funny is that there's not enough of a connection between the setup and punch line. As best I can tell, fundamentally you're making a play on the word "on"? In one sense (being foreclosed on) it's kind of an abstract thing, but in another sense (spilling taco sauce on one's shirt) it's more concrete? Or is just conjuring the image of a guy with taco sauce on his shirt supposed to be the thing that gets the laugh? Or are you just trying to say you get scared easily? In isolation, none of that seems like it's funny.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
OK, Bob, you seem to have a knack for this... Here's one of mine. Mind you, I am very deadpan.

"When I first became a father, someone told me that it's a lot like being a kid at Christmas... you wait and wait, and all of a sudden, it's here. I thought, YES IT IS... I have this wonderful gift, but I want to play with the box it came in."
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When my child was born I was like a kid at Christmas. (Pause.) All I wanted to play with was the box it came in.

I think the look at the end of the line is very important.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-12 13:06, Dannydoyle wrote:
When my child was born I was like a kid at Christmas. (Pause.) All I wanted to play with was the box it came in.

I think the look at the end of the line is very important.

Yes, delivery is important. A punchline could also be the magic trick itself or funny facial expression. It doesn't have to be words.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I like it. I'd do a long pause at the end and maybe raise my eyebrows to give the double entendre time to register.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Exactly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-12 12:45, Michael Baker wrote:
OK, Bob, you seem to have a knack for this... Here's one of mine. Mind you, I am very deadpan.

"When I first became a father, someone told me that it's a lot like being a kid at Christmas... you wait and wait, and all of a sudden, it's here. I thought, YES IT IS... I have this wonderful gift, but I want to play with the box it came in."

Kind of an oldie though, Michael. It dates (at least) back to a pick-up line I heard yon many years ago. Along the lines of "If I can't have your virginity, can I at least have the box it came in?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To be fair there are about 7 jokes in the world.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-09-12 13:22, MobilityBundle wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-12 12:45, Michael Baker wrote:

Kind of an oldie though, Michael. It dates (at least) back to a pick-up line I heard yon many years ago. Along the lines of "If I can't have your virginity, can I at least have the box it came in?"

No kidding?? I honestly did not know this. In my case, it was actually a true story when my son was born 21 years ago. Nothing new under the sun, I guess.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I think that Michael's version is better. Audiences react positively when they "get," after a moment of thought, the hidden meaning in a seemingly innocuous line. The old pick up line, on the other hand, is just blatantly crude. (Nothing wrong with being crude, per se, but it's a lot more fun if you're a bit subtle about it.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea I like Michaels version myself. Something about being an older gentleman talking about virgins that has an eek factor.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Gold.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-12 13:23, Dannydoyle wrote:

Here's one:
Quote:
There was once a young mathematics graduate student preparing to take his comprehensive exam. In his department, comprehensives consisted of appearing before his PhD panel, who ask him questions on the "basics" of the fundamental areas like algebra, topology, and analysis.

This young student wasn't so good under pressure, and his advisor knew it. Being a kindly old man, the advisor reassured the student that if he (the student) seemed to get into trouble, then he (the advisor) would ask him a softball question to help recover his confidence. The student still felt nervous about the exam, but was grateful to have a sympathetic advisor.

The day of the exam comes, and one of the committee members (not the advisor) asks the first question: "Can you give an example of a compact topological space?"

The student stammered for a sec, and said, "Uhhh... the real line?"

There was a moment of awkward silence, until the advisor asked: "In what topology?"

That leaves six more. Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-09-12 14:37, MobilityBundle wrote:
Quote:

Here's one:
Quote:
There was once a young mathematics graduate student preparing to take his comprehensive exam. In his department, comprehensives consisted of appearing before his PhD panel, who ask him questions on the "basics" of the fundamental areas like algebra, topology, and analysis.

This young student wasn't so good under pressure, and his advisor knew it. Being a kindly old man, the advisor reassured the student that if he (the student) seemed to get into trouble, then he (the advisor) would ask him a softball question to help recover his confidence. The student still felt nervous about the exam, but was grateful to have a sympathetic advisor.

The day of the exam comes, and one of the committee members (not the advisor) asks the first question: "Can you give an example of a compact topological space?"

The student stammered for a sec, and said, "Uhhh... the real line?"

There was a moment of awkward silence, until the advisor asked: "In what topology?"

That leaves six more. Smile

And now everyone knows why mathematicians cannot tell jokes: clearly, it should read, "With what topology?"

Sheesh!
scody
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of scody
Quote:

And Leno only knows the first one.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-09-12 14:42, scody wrote:
Quote:

And Leno only knows the first one.

When did Leno get in the habit of repeating punchlines, as if to explain the joke?

He didn't start out that way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does This Sound Funny Or Is It Good Enough To Include in Comedy Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL