The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Expert Card Technique help!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Hello,
I recently decided to expand my knowledge in magic and start to work with cards...
I have purchased Hugard and Braue's "Expert Card Technique" Book and was wondering where to start????

Should I go through the book from front to back and learn the techniques in order? or is this book like Bobo's,

Where I should skip around? I was pretty overwhelmed by the instructions given in the book so far, "kind of difficult to understand" but I am determined! I am fairly new to Card magic, working with coins for about a year and a half..

Is this a good beginners book? or should I go get Royal Road?

Thanks
Tom Defrange Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
If your absolutely new to cards I would read Royal Road first, then Expert Card Technique. But with a little determination, you can learn a lot straight from ECT.

If you find the writing hard to understand then you should invest in the Card College series by Giobbi. Many magicians agree that it is the new standard for beginners, and it is easier to read. Highly recommended. Smile
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Tom,

ECT is a bit overwhelming if taken as a whole. But if you take it nice and easy, one concept at a time without worrying about all the stuff you haven't learned yet, you'll do fine.

Royal Road is probably better for total beginners, but both are excellent texts. I agree that Card College is better still, but it is also SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive--you can get both of the other books for less than the cost of one of the four volumes in the "College" series. I recommend you do just that, to make sure that you are 'into" cards before going to the expense of CC. If you can make it through one of (or both) RR or ECT, then you'll want to get CC and go wild!

Best,
Scott
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
variable75
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of variable75
If you purchase Card College vol. 1, I guarantee that you will want to get the other 3 volumes. It is so good it's addictive.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
I agree with those touting the Card College series. It's money well spent and, if you're in this magic thing to stay, you'll probably want to spend your money wisely, anyway.

Royal Road is great if you're on a super-tight budget. Also, some older literature references it, making Royal Road a nice addition to even a well-stocked library.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Martin_H
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
164 Posts

Profile of Martin_H
Card College is worth it´s price and you will learn it very detailed from the begining! but it does not replace a good friend or personal teacher, who does good magic!! (I have the luck to have one!! - Smile greetings Thomas!)

Martin
life is real magic
Rapidmagic
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Rapidmagic
You could go to http://www.rapidmagic.com
and learn a few sleights there.

They have a full description and color photos and could really help if you get stuck in the book.

Tom

http://www.rapidmagic.com
online sleights and tricks database
freaksrock62
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of freaksrock62
I have found that the Royal Road and Card College books are the best way to start. Expert Card Techniques is definitely a follow up to those. Keep in mind the dialect in which these books are written also makes it far more difficult to understand. I have seen the overhand shuffle explained in such a way that no laymen or magician could figure it out if they didn't already know how to do it. Smile
La dee frickin' da!
I live in a van down by the river!
Cornelius
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Cornelius
I was having the same trouble with expert card technique. Thanx for the help!

From,
Cornelius. Smile
Jarroy
View Profile
New user
Birmingham
17 Posts

Profile of Jarroy
I started with the Royal Road when I was a teenager, later progressing to Expert Card Technique.
Being a shy teenager I found it difficult to find people to perform to. I found by doing some fancy flourishes people would come to me, making comments about my skill. I could then go into my card tricks.
Perhaps not the best way, but it did break the ice.

Best

Jarroy Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Well, rather than trying to master everything as you come to it, just try and read through and get the general idea of what it accomplishes. You will not want to, nor is their any need, to learn everything in there. Try reading the non trick chapters on presentation and stuff at the back and it might get you more into the style of the writing.

One of the most difficult books I found to read was the first Elmsley book by Minch. Again, I think it was just the style.

Anyone here read "The Card Expert Entertains" by Fitzkee? No-one ever recommends it, and yet it is about how to appear a card expert with surprisingly few moves. After all, how many controls and forces do you really need? It also includes Buckley's 30 card mysteries I think.

I recall its a pretty inexpensive book.

Paul.
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
I love some of the effects taught in RRTCM based upon the move just studied.
The tricks taught are performable on their own and not just an attempted demonstration of the move!
I have never seen ECT or CC but I do like RRTCM.

PT
Smile
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Alexander
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Alexander
The Royal Road to Card Magic is my bible. At one time I used to carry it around with me on a constant basis. I would say that 50% of the card tricks I do are from this book.
I get tremendous reaction from them too.

Now with regard to Expert Card Technique I must say that this book can be a bit overwhelming for a beginner. It frightened the life out of me when I first came across it.

However, there is one chapter in there which is utterly essential and should be required reading for anyone wishing to learn the REAL secrets of card magic. Or any bloody magic come to that.

The Chapter on Presentation is the BEST I have ever read anywhere on the subject particularly the first few pages where it explains how you build and maintain a persona and how that persona becomes real eventually like interest building in a bank.
When I first started doing magic I didn't know what to say or how to present it. It really gave me a lot of trouble.

Expert Card Technique is invaluable for this section alone. I recommend the book for this reason alone even if you never do a trick out of it.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Notice my subtle direction to that chapter.. Smile
It is excellent reading, and information you don't get on a videotape.

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Expert Card Technique help!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL