The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pen Through Finger - Matthew Johnson (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
When I saw this, it fooled me big time!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3699

A spectator can push a pen through your finger!

* no setup needed
*show the hole!
* heal it visually!
* you can hand everything out!

Matt does it every day and you will too once you learn all his tips and subtleties.

I’m going to use this with my business card, I can’t think of a better way to hand out my card.

Watch the performance here:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3699

This trick is a STUNNER!
Arsenal
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
81 Posts

Profile of Arsenal
I just bought it. The effect is so good, but what makes the effect more amazing is that it's totally impromptu.

Penguin is currently offering 50% discount for the effect.

... And yet, to stun me even more, they send me a $10 discount code for Matthew Johnson's Live Penguin Lecture, right after purchasing the effect ....

What more can I say ...
Spock10194
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
25 Posts

Profile of Spock10194
Is it available from Williams Magic? I prefer to buy from them, and this looks like a fantastic effect.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
The idea is good, and he credits Peter Kane's Finger Flinger for this. The teaching is a bit weak. If an idea is simple, they should then spend some time on the fine points in handling and the audience control aspects. This guy seems to love being bawdy and rude. Such good magic and he ends up insulting and being "adult" with just about everyone in this routine. He uses insults to control what he feels might be out of line volunteers. First girl he down right insults many times and she was not really doing anything. He then turns it sexual which makes her turn it sexual. He uses sexual jokes even in his demo which makes the explanation volunteer nervously laugh but you could tell she found him uncomfortable.
I guess that is just his character but he should have dropped it for the explanation section. I am not a prude. I am not offended by the language, I get the demos are in bars but is it needed? Hardly. But then this is a debate comedians have had time and time over. Some being more crass than others thinking they have to while others proving they can work clean in the same areas and still do well.

Actual instruction time- 5 minutes.
Odd that they show 3 live demos in real world but you can see they also had "Rachael" see it first but did not show the in studio, one on one. I felt bad for Rachel. A few times she laughs uncomfortably at his humor. I think he could have dropped that nonsense for a professional teach in. No need to make dirty jokes at her expense.

It does not matter the price. If you spend the time to film and edit one should do it well. Some of the camera work could have been a little better as well as cut out some of the fooling around . Live demos are great but instead of 3 on a inexpensive download, I would have liked more focus on teach in.

One good thing, I think, is that many will have trouble getting this down and not perform it. It is clever, (as long as you did not know Finger Flinger.) But you will NOT be able to do it well in minutes. I like that. And some might have trouble with it. Please Café magicians. do not even speak of it more. You know how you guys get. Start hinting and $#@% words and then people figure it out without buying. Just discuss it on Penguin not here if you need to talk about the mechanics. OK?

As for the $10 off coupon. I wonder. Is the material any good in reality to be discounting that LIVE? Is he just as crass in that one? The magic better be great to sit through 2 .5 hours of his adult patter or audience insults. It is one thing if it is just that one routine they advertise but if the rest is like how he is in pen through finger, the magic has to be as good as they say for me to pay to see it.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4898 Posts

Profile of RNK
Just watched ordered and watched this. What a great little impromptu illusion. Everything can be borrowed. I think this will play great and can't wait for someone to push a pen thru my finger!!!!

RNK
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2441 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Just got this and it should be a hit at my bar. Cant wait to perform this little effect.
VMagical
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of VMagical
I've seen this one in an old Genii issue. I forget which one though.
Bryn Williams
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Bryn Williams
If you like this effect, you should check out Matts "Secret art of Monkey Business" DVD (both 1 and 2). He teaches a version of this with a knife instead of a pen and there are lots of fantastic routines for close up workers. I can't recommend Matthews material highly enough. "Color Blind" is one of the first DVDs I ever bought and I still use the effect at almost every close-up show I do.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
This is a nice little illusion. I think it would look even better with a knife.

As for his manner in the video, the world is made up of many different types and we all have our faults. Why the necessity to point them out in public? For what purpose other than to upset the guy?
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Didn't Lee Asher do something very similar to this with a card sawing through a finger? I know I've played with this before.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4898 Posts

Profile of RNK
In the tutorial video Matt suggests not using a knife as he cut his finger before. I agree- a knife would be nice but I think it looks great with the pen.

RNK
S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
A pen is perfect for the impromptu version. Not too many people carry a knife around with them.
oliversmith
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of oliversmith
Quote:
On 2013-09-13 15:05, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Didn't Lee Asher do something very similar to this with a card sawing through a finger? I know I've played with this before.

Andrew Mayne did I think.
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Quote:
On 2013-09-13 18:16, oliversmith wrote:
Quote:

A LOT of magicians have worked on this plot (even peter kanes version should be credited to Harkey) and each one has made a version that works best for them. Matthew's looks really good and I love the idea of them seeing thru the card. Great idea!
JM
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
873 Posts

Profile of gitty
Great trick for a great price!
WALTHER
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-09-13 19:05, Justin N. Miller wrote:

A LOT of magicians have worked on this plot (even peter kanes version should be credited to Harkey) and each one has made a version that works best for them. Matthew's looks really good and I love the idea of them seeing thru the card. Great idea!
JM

Thanks for the insight.
D0N DASHER
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of D0N DASHER
My Grandfather used to do this one. But he would slide the finger away as if he was pulling it off.

He had another variation which I think the first was based off of, it was called "got yer nose".

Well worth the price.

ⱭD
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Justin, is this as good as HUG (in your words, HUG is as close to the holy grail as you can get, lol)?

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

JM
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Quote:
On 2013-09-13 20:07, insight wrote:
Justin, is this as good as HUG (in your words, HUG is as close to the holy grail as you can get, lol)?

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

JM

Mike, I stand by my words with HUG.(although did not see anywhere in the 22 page thread where I said it was close to the holy grail..maybe I missed it)

As far as this effect..I do not have it, I just like the new idea with it.
JM
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
I guess this is more "Perform, probably, 4 preteens" than "practice, practice, perform".

My mother, who has had cancer for 6 years; and has had her brain irradiated the whole time, (Some may know what that causes), saw this demo; and showed ME the trick.

(She likes to follow P3 releases, as I have one.)

I asked her how she learned it.
"Your grandfather taught me."

Although she didn't do the "see through" subtlety. (I think that is a nice touch, so good job there.)

I prefer the P3 releases that break new ground, like how they started with John Carpenter, Jon Allen's work, and other strong releases.
This feels more like a Summer 2012 PaperCrane release.

I respect everyone involved.
I just don't get it. Why all the little cash grabs?

Do what the name says. Make us Practice, Practice, and want to Perform. Strong magic.

At 5$, this is a cool effect for anyone who NEEDS that knowledge, so I am not dissuading anyone.
I just don't know why they pass on stuff that is strong, to do quick turn-overs.

Name of the game I guess, you try to change the game, shake it up; and get complacent.

L
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pen Through Finger - Matthew Johnson (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL