The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » 3 Shells - Peas - Back Clip question (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
A while back I picked up the Three Shells, and some great videos for learning and practice. I am happy with how everything is going except for one move; the old Back Clip steel. I am using a Perfect Pea (which is a great pea) but I have a hard time keeping control of it in the back clip position. Usually I either drop it, or it's very visible.

Do others have a problem with this, and are there any trade recommendations? Maybe a sticky spray on the back of the clipping fingers? Different Pea recommendation? I looked at 3shells.com and they have a "KD Pea", and a "Sweet Pea", is one of these a better back clip pea than the other? One size easier than the other?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks...
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I have major problems with it too. Doesn't seem to matter what pea I use. So, I just use a different grip that doesn't rely on back clip.

Roscoe recommends washing the Perfect Pea with vinegar to strip the skin oils and make it "grippy" again. You might try that.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Get the Bob Sheets work (DVD).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
341 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
The Sweet Pea or the KD- Pea both work very well for the back finger clip.
This is because it is a softer pea.
The pea will form in between the fingers better than a hard pea.

If you have the right pea you do not need to apply much pressure to hold it. This is why many people have a problem with the back finger clip, they apply too much pressure and push it out.
Which is understandable if you are using a harder type pea.

The Sweet Pea is a metal blend pea that can work with a magnet and still look and work like a normal pea. These peas back finger clip very good.
The sweet peas are a darker green than the KD-Peas.

The KD- Pea is for the ones that want a brighter green pea and don't use any magnets. They also back finger clip very good.

I think there are three sleights that you want to master with the handling of the pea.
There are others, but these are to me the main ones.

1. Finger clip
2. Back Finger Clip
3. Thumb Clip

Normal pea sizes for the shell game are 3/8" or 7/16" they both clip very good. 
I even use the Sweet Peas for my chop cups with a 5/8" ball and back finger clip it.
The peas are made in house and were designed to be able to back clip easier.
I use the back finger clip a lot, so this was one of my top priorities in making a pea that clipped in the fingers well.

I have received a lot of feedback from customers telling me these peas helped their problems with the handling of the pea, like the back finger clip.

Hope this helped in answering your question.

Al
Manufacture of 3 Shell Game Sets & 3 Disk Monte Sets
3shells.com and magicswindles.com
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
626 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Yeah. What Al said.
Bob sheets teaches this move very well on his DVDs.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
341 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
On the other problem where the pea is very visible. PM me and I will explain how to correct that.
Manufacture of 3 Shell Game Sets & 3 Disk Monte Sets
3shells.com and magicswindles.com
TKF
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of TKF
The sweet pea is the best pea (imo). So soft & tacky, yet holds a perfect shape... Plus it just happens to be magnetic (pretty much standard issue with most sets on Als' site), making for some interesting takes with a snatcher/PKR.

It has the old school compression capabilites of the vinyl-foam pea, with the upgraded 21st century shape & vinyl-metal blend. They make moves a breeze, and minimize the click... In both standard & larger sized Smile
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Try using a little moisturizing hand cream prior to doing your routine. I found that it helped.
benhart
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of benhart
JKF is right about the Sweet peas or KD-peas, they handle so much better than any other peas. They are the best peas to do any finger, back or thumb clip. Try them, you will like them. You will find them on 3shells.com I have both Sweet peas and KD-peas, as well as a lot of other products. Great quality!
skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
OK, a quick update to my original question I posted here. I took the advice of a few posters here and they knew what they were talking about. I ordered the KD and Sweet peas, and I stupidly made a mistake on the order. But Al did a class act and corrected my order. So even before I tried the peas, I was happy with the service. But once the KD and Sweet Pea's arrived, I found that they really did the trick for me, and I feel my skill level automatically went up a notch right of the bat.

So I am now a Sweet and KD Pea user for my shells. Very glad I tried these out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » 3 Shells - Peas - Back Clip question (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL