The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Yo-Yoers out there? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4120 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I did some yoyoing in elementary school, then as an adult a school-show professional did a show at my daughter's school. I bought a yoyo, and have been yoyoing on and off ever since.

Now, yoyos are sometimes called "throws," and yoyoing is sometimes called "throwing" Smile

Huge changes over the last few years, what with new styles of play, such as using counterweights (string not connected to finger, but instead to a counterweight you hold onto), offstring (where the yoyo is not connected to the string!), and most interesting to me...unresponsive play, where the yoyo doesn't return to your hand when you tug the string. You must do a "bind" to get it to return to your hand (not a big deal).

There was a yoyo boom in the late '90s and early 2000's, so I was caught right up in it.

Funny story - on a yoyo web forum recently I brought up the subject of competition/performances videos I had seen online, where the performances seem to be nothing but a long string of tricks, done very quickly, with no real time to appreciate them and no variety in the pace of the performance. In my post, I mentioned magic, and magic for magicians vs. magic for performing in the real world, and how what I had seen in the yoyo videos seemed like yoyoing for yoyoers - they can appreciate it, but it would be very boring after awhile for anyone observing who was not a hard-core thrower. Someone replied to my post, agreeing, and he said that as he was reading my post he was planning on mentioning "magic for magicians" but then got to the part where I mentioned it. That was hilarious.

So, anybody like "throwing"?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
If it isn't a Duncan, it isn't a Yo-Yo! Smile

I grew up in the fifties and sixties with yo-yos, when they cost about a quarter, maybe less, but I wasn't nearly accomplished as some of the great yo-yoers of the day. But every boy in elementary school in Queens, NY had a yo-yo in his pocket or school bag, and we'd practice at any time that worked; even on the gym floor during gym sessions. And I could "walk the dog" and manage "rock the cradle" and also could do "around the world" once and rarely twice in succession.

So, while not a champion, yo-yos are a treasured memory of my youth and I still own a few. And I still play with them from time to time. One sits on my desk at home always ready. One of my special ones is a clear plastic, battery operated one that flashes LEDs when yo-yoed, which were promotional items with the logo of the company I worked for and was which I rescued from the aftermath of September 11, 2001. One of my responsibilities was cleanup.

Yes! Go Yo Yo!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5020 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'm sure Bob, you remember the Duncan tops as well. Some awesome things possible with those.

But for me, It's never a Yo-Yoer, but Always a Yo-Yo. (BTW Is calling someone a Yo-Yo a New York City only insult?)
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I don't, but still like Yo-Yoers better than YOLOers.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-09-16 07:44, landmark wrote:
I'm sure Bob, you remember the Duncan tops as well. Some awesome things possible with those.

But for me, It's never a Yo-Yoer, but Always a Yo-Yo. (BTW Is calling someone a Yo-Yo a New York City only insult?)

Actually landmark, I don't remember the tops. I mean I remember tops, but not specifically Duncan tops. I guess I was never a top kid. (That didn't come out right, did it....) But the Duncan yo-yos are unforgettable.

I'm just thinking of your yo-yo insult remark, and while I've lived all over the place, in thinking back, I can't recall anyplace else where that particular insult has been used. I'm probably just not stretching my memory enough because I can't imagine it being just a NYC thing.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've heard the insult expression before but have never lived anywhere near NYC. But I can't say I may not have heard it from someone who did. Hard to say.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I wonder if Yo-Yo Ma has any thoughts for this thread. Smile

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5020 Posts

Profile of landmark
Just Yo-Mama.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yo! Mayo?
Mayo? Yo!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yo-yo dieter.

-Mary
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Back to the OP, sorry Chessman for not responding to your original question about the modern yo-yos. Frankly the most modern one I have is that battery operated LED lit one from back in the late nineties that I mentioned above. Nor am I familiar with "throwing" and other of the different yo-yos you mentioned. But you've piqued my interest enough to have a look around at the new wave yo-yos! Thanks for the OP. This old dog hopes to find some new tricks! Smile

Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3411 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
My uncle was a foreman with The Duncan Meter Company (the people who brought you parking meters also were responsible for the Duncan line of Yo-yo's and Tops) so needless to say I had all the latest models before they hit the streets. Life was good!

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
You yo-yo guys (and gals) may like this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/black/yo-y......379.html
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-09-16 23:39, Stanyon wrote:
My uncle was a foreman with The Duncan Meter Company (the people who brought you parking meters also were responsible for the Duncan line of Yo-yo's and Tops) so needless to say I had all the latest models before they hit the streets. Life was good!

FWIW

You're blessed Stanyon! Please tell us you have a great yo-yo collection today? Pics would be great!

Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3411 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2013-09-17 00:57, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:

FWIW

You're blessed Stanyon! Please tell us you have a great yo-yo collection today? Pics would be great!

Alas, I was a youngster back when the only things collected were baseball cards.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I am- or was. The only thing I am still really good at is "Dog Bite"...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-09-17 09:41, Stanyon wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-17 00:57, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:

FWIW

Alas, I was a youngster back when the only things collected were baseball cards.

Alas Stanyon, we were all of the same youth-lacking vision. I wish I had some of the precious things that are but memories of my youth. Smile

ArchMiro
View Profile
New user
Fort Collins, Colorado
59 Posts

Profile of ArchMiro
I am resurrecting this thread because I am an avid "thrower" with Yoyos. My question - has anyone combined yoyos with magic tricks, perhaps working in the throwing of a yoyo into a trick or as part of an effect? As I am performing a magic show for some children in early December, I was hoping to find something, somewhere. Unfortunately, all of my research thus far has turned up nothing, so I thought I would put the question on this forum. This post seems the most appropriate, rather than starting a new one.

Thank you for any thoughts you might have.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Yo-Yoers out there? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL