The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How do you respond if someone asks "If you are a genuine mind reader, what am I thinking right now? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mikelsc
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of mikelsc
After revealing numbers, names, memories, etc... What if you were asked "If you are a genuine mind reader, what am I thinking right now?"

I guess this is a question most frequently asked by the sceptics. And it is also one of the most difficult questions to answer. It's the final challenge. Well, to be honest, you could always say "I don't.". But is there a way, or have you guys heard of a way that really solves this question?

Cheers,
M

P.S. I heard Peter Turner's got a fantastic answer. Sadly he put it in a limited release DVD.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
"You're thinking that I can't read your mind."

Barry
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
"You're wondering if I can tell you what your thinking right now"
"You're hoping I don't know about you and Steve from Accounts"
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
923 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
What do you mean "IF"?
I would just read their mind if I felt like it. If not than I would just refuse.
Never understood the idea of these lines that are pretty much just saying "**** off" in a clever way

If you're a movie star and someone ask you to recite a line from a movie you can refuse. If you a comedian and someone ask for a joke , you can refuse. The same is with mind reading, it's even more justified becouse it's often tiring.
Reader discretion is advised.
Harris0n
View Profile
Loyal user
leeds uk
290 Posts

Profile of Harris0n
Quote:
On 2013-09-16 06:22, stubbs360 wrote:
I would just read their mind if I felt like it. If not than I would just refuse.

That's great. Unless you've been hired to, y'know, read people's minds.

I usually answer with "You're thinking... my God he's handsome!"

99% of the time I'm correct.
"There are times when the truth is necessary and times when myth-making is necessary." Nick Cave
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
923 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Quote:
On 2013-09-16 07:34, Harris0n wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-16 06:22, stubbs360 wrote:

That's great. Unless you've been hired to, y'know, read people's minds.

Sorry, I was thinking about after the show, couse it's only then when I could get asked things like that. If someone challenges you in the middle of performance that means you're doing something wrong, I know it might be controversial statement but that's how I feel about it.

altough I understand that in certain venues even the best might be heckled, I just don't perform there, that's why my frist thought was associated with my own past experiences. Sorry if I offended anybody
Reader discretion is advised.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What is it with this new wave of the same old questions that have been posted here a thousand times? Doesn't anyone do searches here anymore?

This question was just here a few weeks ago on another entire thread.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
My most tactful answer:

"It doesn't actually work that way. If you're trying to keep your thoughts from me as a challenge then there's no way I can determine what you're thinking. It only works when we act together as partners. Here, I'll show you what I mean...." then move into an actual effect.

Short, direct and hopefully moves the challenger into a more positive and receptive frame of mind.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I agree with Steven, just tell them that if you don't want me to read your mind I cant, its only by working together that creates an empathy between the two.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
It also matters how you hold yourself out to people. Every effect I perform is based upon my ability to either use my mind to learn what you are thinking or place thoughts in your head. I don't hold myself out as someone who can tell you what the lottery numbers will be but I can influence you to choose numbers that I have already predicted. This approach is more comfortable for me and also takes me out of the situations you are asking about.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-09-16 08:47, Mindpro wrote:
What is it with this new wave of the same old questions that have been posted here a thousand times? Doesn't anyone do searches here anymore?

This question was just here a few weeks ago on another entire thread.

+1

There was a thread on this just six days ago which is still on the first page of the forum.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=15&18
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1275 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Quote:
On 2013-09-16 04:48, mikelsc wrote:
What if you were asked "If you are a genuine mind reader, what am I thinking right now?"

In your case, I would answer "How do you want me to read minds, I don't even read the forum?!",
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
John Riggs has a beautiful and cruel solution to this on his Pychic Epiphanies Vol. 2... for a 'sceptic' who is adversarial and rude.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
It's a trick question !

"If you are a GENUINE mind reader..."
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
What is a "genuine mind reader"? And WHO defines it?
JonBarr
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
73 Posts

Profile of JonBarr
I think the question everyone wants answered is, "If you were a mentalist/magician who could really read minds, what kind of face would you make while justifying a c***** t****?"
Trickstar
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
154 Posts

Profile of Trickstar
I would not suggest using this, but I had one dude who was not accepting my polite dodges and was being a bit of an insistent prick to be honest so I asked him what he did for a job, he said he was a mechanic, I said, that's awesome, you go fix my car then I'll read your mind mate... I also changed the topic of conversation very very quickly.

Like I said, I wouldn't recomend this, but it worked at the time
mikelsc
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of mikelsc
Hi all,

I have to say that I'm sorry I didn't do a research before. I was going to let someone delete this thread.

Thanks for all the kind responses.

Again, sorry.

Cheers,
M
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Quote:
On 2013-09-16 09:19, Steven Keyl wrote:
My most tactful answer:

"It doesn't actually work that way. If you're trying to keep your thoughts from me as a challenge then there's no way I can determine what you're thinking. It only works when we act together as partners. Here, I'll show you what I mean...." then move into an actual effect.

Short, direct and hopefully moves the challenger into a more positive and receptive frame of mind.

This is exactly what I was going to say.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-09-17 10:56, London wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-16 09:19, Steven Keyl wrote:
My most tactful answer:

This is exactly what I was going to say.

That's the approach I use and have explained in my books and lectures.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How do you respond if someone asks "If you are a genuine mind reader, what am I thinking right now? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL