The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Bag 4 Life by Mark Bendell (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
Went ahead and purchased Mark Bendell's Bag 4 Life routine. Pretty impressed with the complete package as everything is top notch. Including the DVD, although, the provided routine on the DVD is pretty basic. Looking to hear from anyone who might be able to provide any suggestions for additional performance/routine suggestions.
Bobby Puga
View Profile
Loyal user
El Centro, CA
201 Posts

Profile of Bobby Puga
Sometimes I'll do a coin under watch if the time is right. If you already do a coin under watch, just do it after performing bag4life. Have the spec 'sandwich' the bag in their hands with the ungimmicked coin remaining inside the bag. Tell the spec that you're going to make the coin appear back inside the bag, make the gimmick coin 'vanish' and just go on to how you prefer to close your coin under watch routine... Ends clean with everything in specs hands ready for examination... I even let them keep the bag with the penny inside as a good luck penny Smile
Customized greatly...
close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
Quote:
On 2013-09-18 02:17, Bobby Puga wrote:
Sometimes I'll do a coin under watch if the time is right. If you already do a coin under watch, just do it after performing bag4life. Have the spec 'sandwich' the bag in their hands with the ungimmicked coin remaining inside the bag. Tell the spec that you're going to make the coin appear back inside the bag, make the gimmick coin 'vanish' and just go on to how you prefer to close your coin under watch routine... Ends clean with everything in specs hands ready for examination... I even let them keep the bag with the penny inside as a good luck penny Smile

What are your suggestions if you don't perform coin under watch?
Bobby Puga
View Profile
Loyal user
El Centro, CA
201 Posts

Profile of Bobby Puga
Quote:
On 2013-09-18 11:28, close-up wrote:

What are your suggestions if you don't perform coin under watch?

You can always just go with a one coin routine; make the coin vanish, reappear, or coin thru specs hand, coin on shoulder, etc...

Or you can end it with "a little hand" lol, Michael Ammar's - the little hand... it will work with the gimmicked coin as well since they are both ma****ic... Funny little prop and funny way to end the routine...

Here's a short vid of Michael performing the little hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6C0xnpJmeU
Customized greatly...
close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
I understand about the additional moves such as vanishes and reproductions etc. What I was interested in is the core of the Bag 4 Life routine itself. The presentation of B4L as a stand alone effect without the additional added moves and vanishes.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Just picked up the perfect plastic Ziplock baggies at Walmart. Three hundred 3"x4" bags for $5.49. Here is a link for them:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reclosable-Pla......24672067
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I performed B4L at my regular restaurant gig last night and at a corporate gig this afternoon. Prior to each gig, I preset 10 Ziplock bags with a shiny new penny inside, then sealed the bag. I placed the bags in my shirt pocket and was ready to go.

I can't begin to tell how well B4L was received or how much fun it was to perform. It was very satisfying seeing the spectators who received the B4L as a souvenir sharing it with others. It was especially satisfying when the corporate head approached me and requested that I "do the bag thing" for him. Which I did, and received another "WTF" comment.
Paradise
View Profile
Elite user
sheffieldEngland
420 Posts

Profile of Paradise
I have done it with coins in the bag prior to starting the effect, pinch the penny in the bag and tip out all the contents leaving the two coins needed.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2013-09-23 15:22, Paradise wrote:
I have done it with coins in the bag prior to starting the effect, pinch the penny in the bag and tip out all the contents leaving the two coins needed.

That's a very nice idea!
Have to play with that.
Thanks,
Bill
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
Has anyone tried returning the coin to the bag? Using a slightly larger bag. The spectator could examine and put two normal coins in the bag and seal it.Magician then takes the bag back and discretely introduces his gimmick and covers the normal coin with his grip on the bag. You can then remove the gimmicked coin showing one coin as you hold the bag . Then return it by releasing the hidden gripped coin as you retain the gimmicked coin.
I don't have this yet but thought I would get it if there was more the routine. So do you think that would play well?
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Here's a link to another thread on Bag 4 Life... watch the video link in the thread at about 15:35 for a nice similar effect except in reverse

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......546969#5
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Roki - I don't think that would play as well tbh. I think they would think of an extra coin since you don't show the bag empty. Unless maybe you hold the extra in the top of the bag... Maybe play with it.

I've thought about using it as a lead in to Expansion of Texture. After removing the gimmicked coin, shuttle pass it to the other hand so you can reach into your pocket for a handkerchief. Now you're clean and ready for the next routine.
The only problem is that I think Bag 4 Life is stronger and it should really be the other way around, so I haven't tried this yet. I can't think of a reason to demonstrate a penetration again after something so strong.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I love this trick. It's quick, but it's a real fooler. And, giving the penny and bag away at the end is a great idea.

I use an English Penny and a silver '64 Kennedy (Lassen). It's the best sp**t coin I've ever seen. It's so well made it's practically examinable. In fact, it IS examinable.

Robert
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Here is Bag 4 Life demonstration by Arsene Lupin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl......0JoqRY2E
Inviso
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Inviso
That's hilarious to me. That is almost the exact presentation I've worked out using Canadian coins and half the gimmick. You can show the bag completely empty at the start. The coin can be pulled through the bag and directly into the specs hand.

Randy
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Dj, thanks for posting that. That was excellent.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2014, Ray Haining wrote:
Dj, thanks for posting that. That was excellent.

Agreed. Brilliant touch!

Thanks for posting the video.

Jim
Inviso
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Inviso
The one thing I noticed in the video is that a crumpled bag and a dull coin or gimmick can detract from the illusion. Coins and gimmick need to be shiny and bag should be smooth.

Randy
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I agree. I think shiny coins actually enhance the illusion. And, you should always use a new bag, if possible.

I think this is a very interesting handling. But, if you don't have to use a duplicate coin then why use one? You're completely clean with the original handling of Bag 4 Life. Still, this is a very good convincer.

I didn't think the way he pulled the coin out of the bag looked very magical, either. You need to make it look like it takes a little effort, IMO. I know when using my split Kennedy, it really does take a bit of effort since the m----t is stronger.

Robert
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I have played with almost this exact handling in the past but then decided it wasn't worth it and I was overproving.
Plus, the way I use it is as a quick opening lead-in to the next trick using the coins and it bogged things down too much for my liking.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Bag 4 Life by Mark Bendell (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL