The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » I need help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Because Curtis sometimes this board thinks if hey have an idea it is universal. The worlds foremost authority syndrome. It worked for me so it works for everyone.

So he comment was to get posters and the op to realize that the advice may or may not be valid as Dimitri helped point out.

Yea it is a bad thing to o get people to think before posting.

Cheering people on is great and all. But doing so without knowing anything about the direction which yo are pushing them is not cool.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Johannes,

My suggestion is, DO NOT pack your bags and move in with Danny. Smile

But seriously, it is true that sometimes on here you may need to adjust information to suit your own needs,
but do not discard what has been said just because you live outside the USA. All those posts above were great
and can help regardless of where you are. I too suggest you pay close attention to what Michael Douglas said in his post.
That was awesome.

Stay motivated,
Tom
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
But, Danny....

Usually these type of message boards are for people seeking others personal experiences!

We can speak what we know from text books
or
we can speak from our personal experiences

or
speak their party experiences

I learned its better not to participate and side well a thread if I don't the subject matter at hand.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes everyones experience is valid and all experience translates across cultures. I forgot.

Forget I said anything.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Here is a thought take a time say 9:30 am to 11:30 am or 1:30 to 3:30 pm and use that time to call people that might use your services. This time must be spent on the phone everyday. So beforehand you need to think about who to call, start with the type of people who have used you before and what you will send them. Then everyday work the phone for two hours no exceptions except the bathroom (only when it is critical). This will get you some booking but more importantly you will gain valuable information about your market. Start right away even if you are not ready.

Gil Scott
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On 2013-09-19 22:53, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-19 22:33, charliecheckers wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-19 14:58, Dannydoyle wrote:
Move to America and I can help you. Starting a successful business in Norway is something I am totally ignorant of. Many are and it might be good to keep that in mind.

Johannes - this is suggestion #8 I was talking about.

NO NO NO.

I was absolutely NOT suggesting he move. I was however suggesting that people who do not understand the Norwegian culture are going to be woefully ignorant of how to best procede.

Here is something my father was fond of saying. Be wary of anyone offering advice who does not have to live with the consequences.

Now we all take and give advice on some level. But really giving advice about a culture you have not experienced might not be as helpful as it seems. Don't forget to this kid it is as real as it gets. Not some theoretical thought problem or brainstorming session. It is easy to lose track of that.

Once the MGM grand found out about cultural phenomenon because they had a cute lion mouth to walk through as an entrance. Asian play dropped to serious low levels because culturally they would not walk through the lions mouth. Oops. It happens all the time. Heck it happens here between regions much less countries. Be careful about offering advice cross culturally unless you know the culture.

Danny - I provided the op several suggestions in my original post on this thread. Below was my suggestion, #8

"8th - read the postings of MindPro and Danny Doyle. You do not always have to agree with them, but they offer sound advice and words of wisdom that are not really available elsewhere at any price."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My bad. Seriously my bad. Did I mention my bad?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What? Everyone here doesn't always agree with us? I'm applaud!
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Danny,

I get your point. I recall another thread in which we were encouraged to use performance agreements or contracts when finalizing arrangements with a client. Most agreed. However our colleagues in Ireland indicated that this would not fly over there. People are distrustful of contracts. One's word is sufficient in that culture.

Bottom line: Learn common practices in your own context. Learn common practices in other contexts. Adapt and adjust the best practices of other cultures and industries to enhance your own success.

With that said...we all wish great success to Johannes.
Johannes Lindrupsen
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
111 Posts

Profile of Johannes Lindrupsen
Thank you for the help so far! I understand what is being said about different cultures and countries, but I am also sure that most things also applies here.

This is shere I am standing now: I am getting more things done, but I am not happy. Some days I dobt do anything and I feel like I need a push. If any of you amazing guys would be willing to mentor me/follow up on me on a personal level with this things, I would be grateful for the rest of my life. Please, I am reaching out here, so if any of you want to help, I would be the luckiest guy in the world. Thank you!
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 17:56, Johannes Lindrupsen wrote:
Thank you for the help so far! I understand what is being said about different cultures and countries, but I am also sure that most things also applies here.

This is shere I am standing now: I am getting more things done, but I am not happy. Some days I dobt do anything and I feel like I need a push. If any of you amazing guys would be willing to mentor me/follow up on me on a personal level with this things, I would be grateful for the rest of my life. Please, I am reaching out here, so if any of you want to help, I would be the luckiest guy in the world. Thank you!

You need to learn to push yourself and to remind yourself of your accomplishments. If you remember what you have accomplished in the past, it can help you to overcome the small things you need to do to achieve the big goal. I think a lot of people (myself included) can get stuck in that rut. But, it's no one's job but your own to push yourself up and stay on your goal. This website has been a great resource for me in researching pretty much anything I need to know. And if I didn't know something, people on the board were more than willing to help out. So use and abuse it, and learn to feel the motivation to get off your butt and accomplish what you feel will need to be done. You'll eventually make enough mistakes to know where to put your efforts.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 17:56, Johannes Lindrupsen wrote:

One of the most difficult things is to motivate yourself by yourself. Most people need a "push" I think. What you are talking about is accountability. If you are accountable to someone, you are psychologically motivated (I believe) to do what needs to be done. I suggest that you set some specific goals for yourself (spending two hours per day making prospecting calls for example) and then be accountable to someone. This works better than setting the goal(s) and then being accountable to yourself. If you like, you can be accountable to me.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Johannes Lindrupsen
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
111 Posts

Just a quick question:

I have a bit of phone fear (yeah, I know I have to work on that) but I was just thinking about something.

I have made myself a list of all the kindergardens in my area and I have sent them Direct Mail-newsletters and offering my services. Before the summer I got around 7 bookings from this, but I sent the mail out to around 100 kindergardens.

I have sent a new mail out now, but I haven't recieved a single answer. I was wondering if I should call them? This would be cold calling, something I have never done before, but maybe it will be worth my while? Will cold-calling kindergardens help me or make things worse?

If you think I can book shows by cold-calling them after sending a mail, I will start doing that this monday..If I dare Smile

Thanks for the input!
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On 2013-10-03 18:30, Johannes Lindrupsen wrote:
Just a quick question:

I have a bit of phone fear (yeah, I know I have to work on that) but I was just thinking about something.

I have made myself a list of all the kindergardens in my area and I have sent them Direct Mail-newsletters and offering my services. Before the summer I got around 7 bookings from this, but I sent the mail out to around 100 kindergardens.

I have sent a new mail out now, but I haven't recieved a single answer. I was wondering if I should call them? This would be cold calling, something I have never done before, but maybe it will be worth my while? Will cold-calling kindergardens help me or make things worse?

If you think I can book shows by cold-calling them after sending a mail, I will start doing that this monday..If I dare Smile

Thanks for the input!

If you just do a mailing by itself, you can expect a 1% or 2% response. The way to improve that percentage would be to do the mailing and then follow up with a phone call asking if they received the card or letter you sent. It gives you something to talk about. Whether they say they received it or not doesn't really matter because now you can start talking about what you offer, or set up an appointment to call on them. If they say they did not receive the mailing, you can also tell them you will send another or better yet, drop one off in person. While there you might be able to talk to someone briefly and explain what you do. In person contacts are always a good thing.

You don't have to cold call. What I do is call and advise the person who answers that I am a local business and I would like to talk to whoever would be the right person to talk to regarding special events, parties, field trips etc. I would then ask to be transferred to that person. I would explain to that person that I am a local business and just wanted to let them know the service I provide which may be of interest to them. You could present your service as an "inside field trip". They might be receptive to that. Your approach would be just that you want them to know you are available to satisfy their entertainment needs. Always keep in mind that their thoughts are "what is in this for me?" This way you are not really cold calling but exchanging information.

As far as fear of calling goes, the more you do it the easier it gets. Again, do not think of yourself as cold calling but as one business calling another local business to exchange information.

Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2013-10-03 18:30, Johannes Lindrupsen wrote:

There's nothing wrong with cold calling, but there is something wrong with thinking it leads to an automatic booking. It doesn't happen, as you'll soon find out. What cold calling does is start a relationship, one that can eventually lead to a booking. You first have to establish yourself with the prospect before it can lead to one.

If you try sitting down to make cold calls you'll likely bounce around through departments, get machines, etc. So unless you know who you are hunting for, you MAY get a name but it will likely not be the right time to buy at that moment. But, you will have their info and it can lead to something later.

I made the mistake of trying to make everything be instantly successful right up front. Its like a young guy hoping to get lucky with his date, but putting on the moves too quickly...

So just be confident that you have a solution that someone will need one day in the future. That thought can drive you further before than doing work for the sake of getting a paycheck. Know that you have to build steam, it doesn't happen quickly, its very frustrating sometimes, but the reward of earning people's business is just as fun as being on stage.

You may find that going out and networking directly can be more of beneficial in collecting information. But, if you know exactly who you may need to contact, calling around can save you a lot of time and gas.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If there is a local entertainment business near you, try and connect with them. Sub-contract with them. It will help keep you on your feet until your own business increases.

Put together a 30 day marketing plan. Write it down. Follow your plan daily.

We have talked about different marketing programs here on the Café. Try doing a search.

Check out this link:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44

I heard good things about James' marketing program:
http://www.zerotobookedsolid.com/

Do you like performing close-up magic? If so, search for some restaurants in your area.
Johannes Lindrupsen
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
111 Posts

Thank you so much for your help! My new website for kids shows in now up an running and my new businesscards and posters will be done and sent to print today. I have a meeting with an event planner tomorrow and have booked a library show (Second time at the library this year, they really enjoy my show and want to use me 1-2 times a year) I was thinking of asking them if it's possible to hang some of my posters there, and also give them business cards to give out.

Other than that I got a hint from Jim Snack to try to offer my adult show to nursing homes, so I am looking for nursing homes in my area. He told me just to call them, so I guess I have to defeat my fear of calling people soon Smile

Just thought I would give you an update! Talk to you soon!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-10-08 03:02, Johannes Lindrupsen wrote:
Thank you so much for your help!

I love to help as much as possible. That is why my friends say I have an alligator mouth. Smile

Quote:
My new website for kids shows in now up an running

You care to share a link to it so we can give you some tips?
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On 2013-10-08 03:02, Johannes Lindrupsen wrote:

and have booked a library show (Second time at the library this year, they really enjoy my show and want to use me 1-2 times a year) I was thinking of asking them if it's possible to hang some of my posters there, and also give them business cards to give out.

Great job! This is huge. Do all you can to make the most of it. Understand why they choose YOU. This may help you with other libraries. As the day approaches, personally hand out cards/flyers to parents of kids you see in that neighborhood. Find out which other libraries are in that library system and send them invitations to your show. Find out if the librarian who hired you is planning to attend your show. Get pictures and video. Prior to the show ask if their is anything they would like you to focus on. The effort you put in to this show to make it as successful as possible is probably more important than anything else for you right now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » I need help (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL