The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Survey – overhand or riffle shuffle? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
I noticed that there may be a cultural difference in the way a “normal” person shuffles the cards. On the one hand in the USA and on the other hand in France, Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands (the other European countries I don’t know).
In the USA it is my impression that one usually shuffles the cards with a riffle shuffle. (correct me if I am wrong please).
In the European countries mentioned above a “normal” person will always shuffle the cards with an overhand shuffle. (unless he is often in a “poker environment”)
My questions are:
1) Is my impression right that the majority of the people shuffle the cards with a riffle shuffle in the USA?
2) How about the other countries in Europe?
3) How about Australia and Asia?

Thanks in advance
heybobby08
View Profile
New user
Charlotte, NC
54 Posts

Profile of heybobby08
Hi Waterloophai! As far as I have noticed, here in the states most folks do use the riffle shuffle in favor of the overhand shuffle. However, this may be correlated to the persons exposure to cards as well. For example, when I was younger I would use the overhand to shuffle the deck. However as I grew older (and started playing more poker) I shifted to using the riffle shuffle.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Hi Waterloophai,

Heybooby hit it on the head: more experienced card players will riffle shuffle - and some VERY well too. I've noticed here in The Netherlands that even experienced card players find the riffle shuffle difficult to do; kind of a drag for certain effects that require a spectator to riffle shuffle. Smile

Best,
Vlad
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
My experience playing all sorts of card games ive noticed that the people that do an overhand shuffle it is because they can't do a riffle shuffle, and many of these don't even do the correct overhand shuffle.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
In the uk I would say people tend to use the overhand shuffle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Survey – overhand or riffle shuffle? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL