The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "If you really posses psychic powers, then why aren't you a billionare?" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
I was showing some acquaintances some very convincing "experiments" in mind reading and future predictions.

I neither confirmed nor denied real psychic powers.

After the demonstrations, one of them asked me (in a skeptical tone) why I'm not filthy rich?

After all, he said, if I could read minds and predict the future, surely I could use these powers to pick stocks and investments, win lotteries, succeed with gambling, etc.

It caught me completely off guard! My fault for not being prepared.

I mumbled something about these powers not being 100% accurate, but it sounded a bit lame. After all, only moments ago they worked perfectly!

I was about to reply with the "I could if I want to, but I choose not to" type of answer, but that doesn't sound very convincing.

Any good comebacks to this question that sounds convincing?
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
Brandon
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
131 Posts

Profile of Brandon
What would be the choices for one person...ie getting rich in the stock-market or winning the lottery, etc. doesn't necessarily mean every person would do the same. Not all share the same value-system.

One must decide whether or not to play the role for real--or as an entertainer...then build that 'character' around those choices and be prepared for any question that might pop up--at least the most common, which that question is extremely common...even if you give a disclaimer.

One of the best lines, comes from Larry Becker...when asked why he isn't filthy rich, etc. He says, "I am.".

Done.

Brandon
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
This has been covered in some previous threads, but basically the most convincing reply I've heard goes something like this:

" I wish I could make a million. Unfortunately mind reading is an intentional act of communication that requires efforts on both sides: the sender and the receiver. So when Bill Gates decides to send me thoughts of his next creation, I'll be ready to receive them."

Jack Shalom
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
"I'm working towards it, and I am not a born psychic. No one is. And I am making progress towards the better. And you have been very helpful in all our experiments too "
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
How about saying with a grin:

"I am"

Marc Climens
peng
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
81 Posts

Profile of peng
So many beat me to it. I was going to say use Larry Becker's line, "I am." That was so funny, and completely shut everybody up.
Peng
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
Guys,

It's a very nice line, but it's obvious to people I know that I'm not a billionare!
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
Quote:
On 2003-12-15 03:37, 7th_Son wrote:
Guys,

It's a very nice line, but it's pretty to people I know that I'm not a billionare!

"I am" doesn't mean you have a lot of money. It means you're rich.

mmG Roland
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
Well, it is also obvious for people you know that you cannot read minds either.

What I usually do, especially when performing to people I know, I ask them to concentrate other things. Such as the wallet where the business card is in and explain that therefore I can read them and what they wrote on the back of the card. I will not state that I'm a psycic, they would never believe it. But if I play the role of the master psychologist/body reader they will be amazed on how much I have learn since the last time.

And I always give them a little grin when they start asking questions. I guess they know now that it's just trickery, but they cannot be sure.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I'd advise them that they need to get out more.

Smile

See ya!
Joe L.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
M_Fortune
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of M_Fortune
"I do make billions, but I snort the lot away each night due to my out of control cocaine habit".

Mal
kilgourpower
View Profile
New user
London
72 Posts

Profile of kilgourpower
"If I use my powers for financial gain,the evil God of time and space will make my head implode???"
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
To get this thread back on a more serious nature, the question of predictions and monetary gains is why I don't do any obvious predictions in my act. All of my routines involve 'reading' the thoughts of the audience, not predicting some future event. If I did do a prediction, then I would make sure that I framed it as 'sending' the appropriate thought to a spectator. I have also used Lee Earle's idea of not so vaguely predicting the pictures that appear on the front cover of a newspaper. That way, you can claim that you saw and wrote down images a week ago (e.g. Squalidly haired man examined by a doctor) that you couldn't identify until you actually saw them today(Sadam Husain)
adolphus
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of adolphus
"...you finish with, "And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I never take chances or bet on events of any kind. I always have to lose, to prove that I'm honest."

Theodore Annemann
from ANNEMANN'S BALLOT BOX DIVINATION
Annemann's Practical Mental Effects
"Unlike the mere Conjuror, the Mentalist reaches into that space which a hat normally covers. And from there, he withdraws something more fleeting - and at times, far fuzzier - than any rabbit"
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
Because I can only predict events that happen around me.

For example I can predict what I will see in a newspaper next week. And when my numbers come up on the lottery I will know beforehand Smile but I don't know what numbers you will win with (I'm only human after all - I can't do everything)...
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Because I keep spending it
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-12-14 21:18, 7th_Son wrote:
I was showing some acquaintances some very convincing "experiments" in mind reading and future predictions.

I neither confirmed nor denied real psychic powers.

After the demonstrations, one of them asked me (in a skeptical tone) why I'm not filthy rich?

After all, he said, if I could read minds and predict the future, surely I could use these powers to pick stocks and investments, win lotteries, succeed with gambling, etc.

It caught me completely off guard! My fault for not being prepared.

I mumbled something about these powers not being 100% accurate, but it sounded a bit lame. After all, only moments ago they worked perfectly!

I was about to reply with the "I could if I want to, but I choose not to" type of answer, but that doesn't sound very convincing.

Any good comebacks to this question that sounds convincing?

"The reason that I'm not filthy rich is that I really don't like being filthy."

"For you, wealth is a goal, an ideal, for some others, it's a burden."

"Each person has his own idea of success. Mine is being able to entertain you for just a few moments and take your mind off the poor, wretched, humdrum everyday life you lead."

"I have an agreement with the government. They don't do miracles, I don't make money. So far, neither of us has violated this agreement in any way."

"How do you know I'm not filthy rich. SHHH -- I'm picking up vibrations from someone in the next room, he's an IRS agent."

"Because with my skills, I don't need to be filthy rich to live well. I have what I need. I leave the rest for those who have no self control."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
peng
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
81 Posts

Profile of peng
I think the "IRS agent" gag could get people laughing and rolling on floor.
Peng
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Lee Earle has written more than once about the dangers of things like headline predictions and such. 9/11 has become quite a sticking point for "future readers."

A common thread you'll find in past and present literature deals with being right all the time. As you've probably already experienced, a few misses make the hits even stronger.

The fact is the question is a good, legitimate one: if you really can read minds/predict the future/whatever, why aren't you rich?

I'll admit to stealing Larry Becker's line ("I am.") but I don't anymore. These days I find just a smile is sufficient. Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt, I always say.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
vratkins
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans USA
151 Posts

Profile of vratkins
In one of Robert Heinlein's books, he made the point that the most important "power" is intellegence, knowledge of the future will do you no good unless you know what to do with it. Psychic abilities do not confer wisdom. (A line I use to avoid giving "psychic advice") This should distract them for awhile before they think "How smart do you have to be to know what to do with 7 numbers!?"

Regards,
Victor
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "If you really posses psychic powers, then why aren't you a billionare?" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL